HOW TO?

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I grew 3 species Datura, and 'Purple Ballerina' this year. The species one did great and produced LOTS of seeds, but the Purple Ballerina only made tiny pods, which fell off within 3 days of appearing. Any suggestions on how to get seeds next year?

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It could have been attacked by spider mites or mildew. Spray you plant and don't keep it wet - they need to dry out between waterings. You can also spray the blooms with tomato blossom set.

The plant was very healthy, even till frost. The weather was wet however, almost like the UK, raining everyday, lol!
So, I should spray it next year? How will this help seed production?

~Daniel

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, I would say so. Keep us posted - this type of problem teaches us all new lessons!

Ok, then. I will spray half of them and not spray half. And report in the Fall;)

~Daniel

Columbus, OH

I'd try hand pollinating them. I use the cheap packages of paint brushes that you buy at the dollar store, the tiny craft ones.

Oh! Since it was an only plant, I was thinking that absence of another simaler Datura was the problem, but maybe they both are...
Getting ready to sow lots more this year, all kinds too, lol.

~Daniel

Daniel,
Where did you get the seeds of Purple Ballerina from? If the seeds you purchased were gathered from an open pollinated plant that may be the reason. Daturas do not come true from seeds if you grow more than one cultivar at the same time because Ballerina is a hybrid. I bought my seeds from Parks seed company and no problem setting seeds.

I have not sowed those seeds from the original plant but would not expect to get the same since I grew the white one at the same time. This was years ago before I knew that they cross pollinate.

Bugs would not interfere with seed setting. I think it is in the chromosomes. Spraying won't accomplish anything either. Actually it would dampen the pollen, which may not help.

I grow 3 different cultivars of Datura, but not during the same season when I need seeds. My daughter grows the white Datura inoxia for me since that is her favorite.

Here is a link to carry over Daturas during the winter. It is from my own experience.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051779/

Thumbnail by

WOW! Are you Datura people helpful or what? lol!

I received them from a DG'er who said that they had just been collected last Fall. She sent all three Ballerina colors. But, I only grew the purple one, for reasons I cannot recall.

Since I have several new pots, I think I would like to grow several Daturas in them. Would 16" be enough? It says in your thread that 16"+ is necessary for overwintering.

I like the pic you attached! Really "soft" flowers!

Happy Spring!!

~Daniel

P.S. The other cultivars that were grown with my plant were stratamontium and stratamontium var. Tatula.

Hi Daniel,
Glad you like the photo. So the seeds are open pollinated and most likely won't come true from seeds.

Yes, 16" is large enough for one plant.

As far as the cultivars stratamontiums, my daughter grew them and neither of us were impressed with the flowers. The seeds were open pollinated and I got them on Ebay. Google or search on Ebay and you will find photos of them. Actually, search on the DG Datura forum and you will find a thread that shows many of the Daturas, including stratamontium, and stratamontium var. Tatula. The 2 names I believe are of the same plant.

Below is Datura inoxia, a favorite of mine

Thumbnail by
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

If you have a lot of Winter Rains and your area is swampy. You may add sand or amend the soil for better drainage. In areas where I have a lot of clay, my plants don't come back.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I wish you had some of those ballerina seeds, boy that is a pretty Dat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.