Coffee Break #24 - One month to Christmas!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I agree, store bought has nothing on homemade Lemon M.!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

So anyone interested in attending the next WH state dinner? I have an invitation...

Going with Balloon Boy's mom.

South Hamilton, MA

Watch out for photogtaphers if you see any, don't forget your makeup.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Do toads have ears? I think NOT. ARGH! I accidently put ears on a toad I'm making for a secret santa where you have to MAKE something. O well. I already mucked it up a tad because my toad is blue and not brown. My brilliant idea of putting bright blue over dark green to make a 'glistening brown' toad make a blue toad. Now it looks like a blue somethingsomething with ears. I'm thinkin a collage is in order. Naturally I will glue alot of things to my hair in the process but I have lots of catalogues with prettiful flower pics to work with ^_^ I have to get this done PRONTO as it needs to get to IA before Christmas. Too late for Pony Express and even with Goose Express it's going to be tight. Wish me luck!

Thomaston, CT

LOL---would love to see the person's expression when they get your toad, DNut! Watched the UCONN men get beaten by smarmy Duke, saw the UCONN women roll again, guess it's time to get to bed.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am SO not sending the blue somethingsomething with ears RD. I do believe I am the planet worst nightmare secret santa pic for MAKING things but I will rally. I am a rocket scientist and a proud member of the nut fam. I will invent something brilliant tomorrow I'm sure. Ya. Tomorrow.

I'm taking my older guy to see the Army basketball game tomorrow.

Just finished watching 'Up!' Was very good.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Dnut--I had to do that one year. Check your dollar store. They have neat little crafty items you could put together and paint for a homemade gift.

So,Up is very good? Will have to get that one. Pixar strikes again. Me and a neighbors kid watched Wall-E, again and again, thou I don't need a kid around to watch Pixar. :-)

Saw 2012 the other day. It was too long but the first 2hrs were riveting.Very good special effects and convincing. They seem to be showing all the doomsday flicks on TV too. Andromeda Strain, The Day After Tommorrow, all the Mad Max series... surprising since its the holidays.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

well Randy and I braved it out shopping last night... we were going to lowes to find more of the candy canes for outside... and we passed by the Rockaway mall... I just wanted to see the location of the new christmas tree shop that opened up here... and there was parking.. we went in... and found our candy canes for $4.00 each.. which is cheaper than lowes!!!... the store is very nice.. glad no one knew it was there yet!!!

Lucky you Allison! That store sounds great.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Jada,when you were a young girl, did you by chance get dragged to the movies by your mother to watch every Disney movie ever made ....even if it didn't interest you??
Because you sound just like me. I just watched 'UP' last week, it was very good and I have 'Monster's vs Aliens' waitng for me in the livingroom. LOL
Oh, and I dragged DGD to see 'The Tale of Despereaux' this year. ^_^

Oh Celeste, how did you guess?

The movie was right around the corner and cost 35cents and you could stay all day and they showed cartoons and shorts. My sister and I were there almost every Saturday. My mother would pack a lunch and when we emerged from the theatre it would be night and it felt like we had gone somewhere else for the day. My mom was into the classics and I am so glad they are rereleasing them on DVD.

She took us to see "Love Story" and cried and cried and me and my sister, too young to really get it, cried because she was crying, lol.

Loved Tale of D! Rattatoile is good too.So you recommend M Vs A?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't know, I haven't watched M vs A yet but I have it on Authority from the DGD's that it's good. They have H1N1 so I can't watch it with them, im on my own. lol

My Mother loved 'Gone w/the Wind', 'Wuthering Heights', 'Dr. Zhivago' and all Disney movies. My favorite as a kid was 'Jungle Book' and I had a crush on 'World's Greatest Athelte' star!! My Dad like Bing Crisby, Fred Astaire, ect.... I was well rounded.

Now everyone knows why I dress in these crazy get-ups on Halloween.......it's the only way I can live in my childhood Disney movie's!

Thumbnail by pixie62560

How sweet is that!!! YOU should have been in the movie!! I still get a kick out of the Jungle Book. I think its one of their finest.

Yep Yep, Wuthering Heights is one of my favorites. I still cry at that one. And Song Of Bernadette (Jennifer Jones was lovely, my sister is named after her) and of course GWTW and anything with Audrey Hepburn in it.

You saw Worlds Greatest Athlete? He was tooo cute. I had a crush on William Holden in The World Of Suzie Wong and the first Sabrina, and of course To Kill a Mockingbird. Oh I could go on all day...........

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Me too! lol

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're a cute pixie, Pixie.

Maybe someone can give me some advice. This looks like the proper thread for this.

My grandson Jamie is 10, and insisted he didn't want any Christmas presents this year. As we have such a good relationship I told his Mom I would get to the bottom of this. I took Jamie to Barnes And Nobles and over a cup of peppermint hot chocolate he told me he didn't want any Christmas presents as his friend Nick thinks his father can't afford Christmas, so Nick isn't getting any presents. Nicks mom is in the hospital, broke her neck falling down the stairs two months ago, and will be in the hospital and rehab another 6 months. Jamie and Nick have been friends for a long time. They both are big into Yugioh cards. Since Nick feels his family cannot afford Yugioh cards for Christmas, he and Jamie have been making their own, out of squares of paper. making really nice ones. I want to encourage the creativity, and also Jamies compassion towards his friends situation.

So I purchased a bunch of index cards without lines, two sets of colored pens, two boxes for the index cards and two 9.00 Yugioh cards. one for Jamie and one for Nick.

Now, the situation. Nicks father is from Ecuador, and I understand he's a very proud man. He refused any benefits (fund raising) for his wife. I don't know the financial situation, but Nicks dad has a successful business, and has good health insurance. But still the incidental costs for someone in the hospital for 8 months will be tremendous, even parking. I don't know if Nicks dad can afford to buy Christmas presents or not, but I'm sure he would not wish anyone to know if he couldn't. Plus there is extended family here that would certainly get Nick some Yugioh cards. So this is probably in Nicks head, more than reality.

How do I address giving Nick the presents I got for him and Jamie with the father? I see the father a couple of times a week, when I pick up Jamie at school, and he is a very pleasant man. I want to be sure he knows I am giving Nick the items, so he doesn't think Nick obtained them improperly. And I'll tell the dad that it's just because Jamie and Nick are being so creative making the cards. But I don't know if I should let him know Nick is concerned about asking for Christmas presents or not.

Any input will be appreciated.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I would approach it as you liked how creative the boys were and wanted to encourage them with some supplies maybe? You hope he doesn't mind that you were just amazed at how artzy they are. Leave 'Christmas' out of it if you think it would be an issue, it may goes smoother.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pix, I like that advice. So you wouldn't mention Nick is concerned his family doesn't have enough money to buy presents?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure, thats a touchey subject and like you said, he would not want anyone to know. Does he seem like the type of man who would be angry with Nick for voicing his fear about no gifts? Would he punish him for thinking of gifts and speaking aloud to outsiders? Those are what i'd worry about if I did not know him well or his nationality beliefs such as Christmas and sharing private family info.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Agreed. I don't know. He seems very sweet always to Nick. And he seems to be a very easygoing man. There is also a four year old son, and dad seems very patient with him. I think it's probably best not to mention what Nick said to Jamie, just go with how I want to encourage the wonderful creativity the boys share. Had the dad been more accepting about what people wanted to do for his family after the accident, I would have felt better bringing something up, but I think it's best to let the family handle the Christmas issue. Thanks, you helped me think it out better.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Your welcome Polly but in sure what ever you decide will be fine. You are, after all doing it out of the goodness of your heart, what more could anyone ask for? ^_^

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice words, thank you!

Thomaston, CT

It is a delicate situation...I think just giving the boys the cards because they've been so creative is a good idea. That Pixie photo is way cool, Pixie! I have not seen a movie in...I don't know....at least ten years...I don't have the patience to sit through one, I'd rather read.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

When I was young I never went to a movie nor did my parents take me to see any. I was about 10 years old when Music appreciation was one of the subjects in school and were given tickets for the Vienna Symphony and the Opera for several years In a notebook we had to record what we thought about any given presentation (I still have it).

When the war was over, a movie house was opened for for English and American movies, since I spoke English I was curious to see what they were all about. I tell you I never laughed so hard as I did watching Charley Chaplin, I can't remember the name but it took place where he was lost in the alps or the likes eating a boot.
I also saw a Shirley Temple movie and Henry Fonda in The Grapes of Wreath.
That movie reminds when I asked my Husband to be, how come they were so poor, they owned a truck? lol

I have to stop now eyes need a rest, could tell you more later
Maria

That's a tough one, Polly. The cards are a great idea. Don't think the money situation should be brought up with the father.

Yes, Up was very nice. All the Pixar movies are good. My fave is still the Incredibles. You guys are talking about the young Kurt Russell. He was in so many Disney movies!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think you're right Victor. I truly would hate to insult the man. He seems such a good father. I can't imagine after having a stay at home wife taking care of the children and house, now having to do it all, run the business, take care of the kids, and spend so much time at the hospital. Luckily both sets of parents to mom and dad are close by.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Victor you are wrong on this one, Kurt Russell was not my crush, Jan-Michael Vicent was.

Oh yes. That's right. He had long hair. Russell was in every other one!

Nice memories, Maria. My dad loved Shirley Temple.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh thank you phoebe, thats looks good and i'll be watching Tinker Bell @ 8. ^_^

Thanks Phoebe!

Maria, this is my favorite Charlie Chaplin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoKbDNY0Zwg&feature=PlayList&p=8F69D0028235D001&index=0&playnext=1

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

* This is a little joke e-mail my bud in Fla sent me today, (just wanted to share a little light humor).

Morris returns from the doctor and tells his wife that the
doctor has told him that he has only 24 hours to live.

Given the prognosis, Morris
asks his wife for sex.

Naturally, she agrees, so
they make love.

About 6 hours later, the
husband goes to his wife and says,

'Honey, you know I now have
only 18 hours to live.

Could we please do it one
more time?'

Of course, the wife agrees,
and they do it again.

Later, as the man gets into
bed, he looks at his watch

and realizes that he now has
only 8 hours left.

He touches his wife's
shoulder and asks,

'Honey, please... just one
more time before I die.'

She says, 'Of course, Dear,'
and they make love for the third time.

After this session, the wife
rolls over and falls to sleep.

Morris, however, worried about his impending death,
tosses and turns, until he's down to 4 more hours.

He taps his wife, who rouses.
'Honey, I have only 4 more hours.

Do you think we
could...'

At this point the wife sits
up and says, 'Listen Morris, enough is enough
I have to get up in the morning... you don't.'

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

This Tiger Woods story seems weird. The wife claims she had to use a golf club to smash a window to get him out. But it was the back window. However, there was no smoke or fire and only minor damage to the front. Why not just open the driver's door?? There may be something to the whisper story of a fight and she smashed the window in anger.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

New thread doesn't work for me...

Hee hee - that's an oldie but goodie, WC.

You just posted on it, Phoebe!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Doh!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I believe the Tiger Woods thing was a fight...

It probably was a fight. But they can afford to tear up stuff and replace it :-)

I like her choice of weapon. Whatever he did , he won't do it again :-0

This message was edited Nov 28, 2009 1:46 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.