Coffee Break #24 - One month to Christmas!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056212/

Holidays are upon us. Will you spending less on the holidays this year? Probably about the same for us. Maybe a bit less.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I'll be going to visit my mother and sisters in NM. Eeek! Only 1 month! I'm not spending anything. Doing a little fund raising for DS's gift and that's it. I'm making my two little nieces teddy bears with pockets to put their lost teeth in.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I hope to spend less but I'll probably end up giving cheaper presents and spending the same because the prices have gone up for everything! lol!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hope to spend a little less. We'll see how that works out.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Spending about the same. I'm working on presents for the neices and nephews (I sew). I got the vacation days I wanted, so we'll be headed home to see irisMA for x-mas. Yeah!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

spending a lot less on family - wife will be the same

But more on friends??

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I would say much less as my son who is now working in NYC has no time off between now and mid Jan, so we will not be doing Christmas with him. And because of his work schedule, my mom has decided not to fly east as she normally does, nor is my younger brother coming. Last year we all spent it in New Orleans and that was expensive with the travel, apartment rental and all the dining out we did. But so much fun.

So we will spend lots less as we are just sending them a gifts, and we are not doing stockings or elaborate meals. So it will be just the two of us. I think we may just go up to Vt to enjoy total quiet, but I will miss being with my family. However, once my son gets a NYC apartment, I may get off my wallet and help him with some new furniture as all his college hand-me-downs are pretty sad if not disgusting. So that may end up being more in the long run.

DH is currently brining two turkey's for tomorrow. One he is smoking with apple wood from our property and the other will be roasted with chestnut and sausage stuffing. We are doing a joint dinner on Nantucket with dear friends and 2 of their 3 kids. Our son is living with these people in their NYC home until he finds a place which has been beyond generous of them. Their other son, who is my son's best friend won't be here either, sad. But nice the other two kids could get to Nantucket for the weekend.

DH went diving for scallops. so we are cooking those up for appetizers. We are also taking Brussels sprouts, as well as fruit, nuts and cheese. I am making the cranberry sauce. I also made some dark chocolate clusters with candied ginger and toasted macadamia nuts to have with coffee. They are doing all the veggies, breads, pies and wine, so it is a good split, plus she has to set the table and clean her house. We do this all the time with them. Portable feasts. Just wish we had all 8 of us. Now what am I going to do with all that turkey? The daughter is a vegetarian, so she will not eat any turkey. Lots of soup in the freezer! Have a great one all. gobble gobble.. Patti

South Hamilton, MA

My 'sugar free' pecan pie showed up on the front doorstep this morning--whew. We eat duckling so have fewer leftovers for the 2 of us. Besides DH doesn't really like turkey.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I will be spending about the same as last year. I indulge my nephews, but after that it is the company we keep on the holidays that matter to me. Good food, a couple of drinks and heaps of laughs!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hopefully less, the adults chose names, but there are 7 grandkids. We're not doing stocking stuffers, though. Then again, Jeff and I are flying to the Houston area for a week, so we won't do gifts.

The only adult giving we do are for our parents and a small gift for each other.

Does anyone do the crazy early morning Black Friday thing?? I can't believe people do this! Sears is opening at 4 AM! Isn't everyone tired from T-day. Those shoppers must not host. All that craziness to save a few bucks. Sorry, but nothing (and no one) is worth that in my book.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I go over board, but im going to try and scale down this year. Less for the adults, more for the G-kids. ^_^

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I went once, thats was all it took.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Usually, it goes up each year. Last year we cut back and hope to stay the same this year.

I abhor the black friday early morning thing. I think it is a slap in the face to what Thanksgiving is all about. I really think Thanksgiving is about giving Thanks, not about who will get the best deal for a tv or computer. It really pisses me offf! So does anyone really want to know how I feel ^_^

So I won't see you at Sears, Weeze??! I couldn't agree more.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

After working 17 years in retail you won't catch me in any store on black Friday. Sales have slowly declined over the years on black Friday, the last time I worked a black Friday morn we opened at 6 and we thought it was nuts, we maybe had 6 people( and we were one of the busiest stores in our district).

I buy everything online and have since about '96.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I do 99% on line now.

Can someone explain to me why people have their Christmas lights on already?

I have one guy in the neighborhood who had the front lawn done up for about 10 days now.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

UGH!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Looks like the Weezies here think alike!!! Yes, spending less this year for sure. Bailey and Carli are our gifts to each other, and the coins are adding up! Also, we're going out to Colorado mid-month, so that's going to make the gifts for everyone pretty small this year.

Victor - I like that you make your parents a priority. Many older people are forgotten, and they often need the attention more than the little ones who have so much from so many.

Louise, you have the best gifts for many years to come. The gift of Love. We laughed this morning as we took 2/3 of our menagerie to the doctor. One has to return for surgery, so our Christmas gift is the gift of life. She may not realize it, but we do, and we're happy!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

We have done the black Friday thing. It all depends if it's something we are looking for. DH likes it more than I do.

Good luck with the surgery, Weeze.

Thanks Victor!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Boy I though I was odd that I didn't do the black Friday thing...most of my stuff is bought on line. definitely cutting back this year on relatives...not the kids or granddaughters though. The same for them. I do them first then if there is anything left I do what I can. Lots of cookies and cakes...easy elegant and good gifts.

South Hamilton, MA

I don't like getting up that early in the morning,ANY day & cerainly not a mob scene. I shop all yr around, mostly books & read the reviews even if book not bought at that time. Not used to doing things on line--I have seen things & then looked up the phone # and procede from there.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my sister in Ohio was a black friday shopper.. she used to go out at 4 or 5 in the morning.. not so sure she will still be doing that now that she owns the doggie store.. I always thought she was nuts

South Hamilton, MA

It isn't the shopping which is a hassle, it's the mailing. both of our families (including our children) have decided to live all around the country.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yeah I am bummed we were not able to go to my sisters with the rest of the family.. but Randy's Mom Michele & Al are coming over... should be a relaxing day

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I've never done the black friday thing. Don't think I ever will, either!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Gobble, gobble ^_^

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oohh Weeze I don't think I ever remember you being on in the AM.. what a treat!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Morning, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

morning Pixie!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I can't wait to eat today. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.