CLOSED: Wanted: Green Zebras

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

My whole family LOVED the green zebra tomatoes this summer - they did great here. BUT I didn't manage to save any seeds (how did I forget?). If anyone has some spare seed to share, you may choose whatever you want from my trade list. Thanks in advance. :-) Stacey

Stacey: If those tomatoes are a hybrid, they will not come true from seeds.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Stacey,

I have some extra green zebra seeds I received in the recent swap I hosted. You're welcome to them. No trade required. If you want to d-mail me with your mailing address, I'll mail some out to you. I am in Canada, so the mail can take a couple of weeks this time of year.

Thanks...Heather

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

blomma - I think the green zebras are an heirloom tomato. Try them - they are really zesty and my kids love the color and taste.

Heather - Thank you so much for your offer. I'll dmail you later today when I get to my Thanksgiving destination. :-) (Thanksgiving is tomorrow for those of us in the US.) Stacey

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We grew the green zebras here in Las Vegas and when the heat hit they continued to put on tomatoes. Most tomatoes stop when the evening temperature gets above 80 degrees. I will definitely get my plants next year.

OK a dumb question, if they do not grow true from their seeds, how do they grow the plants. I received mine as a gift from a landscaper late spring. I was actually irritated because I had no place to plant the two plants but made a place. Shame on me. But I did call him up and he and his wife came over an returned home with a big bag of tomatoes.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

While not yet old enough to be considered an "heirloom" variety, it is my understanding that "green zebra" is considered a stable "open pollinated" (OP) tomato. In otherwords, it's supposed to come true from seed you collect...unlike the hybrids you see in catalogues today.

It was developed in the mid 1980s from a tomato breeder. I'm no expert, but everyone I know that has been growing and harvesting their own green zebra tomatoes and seeds has always had them come true from seed year after year.

Hope this helps.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Stacey! Come on over to my house and you can pick your own then save your seeds!! LOL We've got about a dozen tomatoes still on the plants that aren't quite ready to harvest. I have one sitting on my counter that's RIPE.

PS~Good to see you posting again!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

In the mail yesterday I got a new catalog. Totally Tomatoes. About 400 different varieties and then the very last 5 pages are just about any pepper plant seed you would want. Totally Tomatoes.com. They have some really interesting varieties. I think I will check them out on DG. Spent my first hour of the morning scanning this catalog. Godd think I am not cooking today. Just making a green salad for DD dinner.

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

The green zebras do very well with the Texas heat, maybe one of the reasons I liked them so much. They were still happily producing when all the others were struggling with the Summer heat.

Hey Stephanie! Yes I've been off Dave's for the most part this past year or so, but good to be getting back into the mix. Now don't you let those maters go to waste! Mine are all gone now so I'll have to wait 'til next Summer for more.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Really, if you want some you can come get 'em! Just let me know and when the big harvest is ready, I can dmail you and make arrangements for you to come get them.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

blomma Green Zebras are heirloom tomatoes.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Stephanie, you are so generous! Thanks for the offer but I would feel guilty taking the last of your maters! Heather is already sending me some seeds so I'll be set for Spring planting. ;-) You met my four darling children - they are all big fans of those green striped tomatoes. Stacey

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.