Growing in an Osprey's Garden #6

PERTH, Australia

It danced and jumped around the nest squealing with delight.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

The sound of Hurray! came from Korea!

PERTH, Australia

Four minutes after it returned to the nest, it jump-flew over to the edge, but then stopped. My own concerns about its proximity to the edge were echoed by two fellow observers.

Harmony then vigorously flapped its wings and with the stiff sea breeze at its back it promptly fell head first out of the nest. It tried in vain to save itself by clutching at the sticks on the side of the nest, but it was head down and there was no way it could retrieve itself from that position.

It fell probably about ten feet before it was able to start flying. We caught a glimpse of it as it flew southwards, way down low, just above the water, but none of us could see where it went because of the trees obscuring the view.

Time compresses, but I think it was about two minutes later, I saw it flying just above the river, heading north. Again because of vegetation, it was just the briefest glimpse, but it was clearly Harmony because the white scalloping on the wings was clearly visible.

PERTH, Australia

Twelve minutes after Harmony had fallen from the nest, Big Hook arrived. She gazed in bewilderment at the nest, clearly not expecting it to be empty.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Big Hooks anguish was very apparent.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Dad arrived with a fish within seconds of me taking that shot of Big Hook. She immediately flew down onto the nest and took the fish from him, stood there looking around her for a few seconds before flying off.

I rang Madam X to see if she could see anything from her vantage point, but there was no sign of it anywhere. I scrambled down the embankment and along the crumbling track to see if I could see or hear anything. The vegetation is so dense that often hearing is a more reliable sense than sight. I did, however, see Big Hook on a low branch of a nearby tree, still with the fish in her talons. But, you may guess what came along to harass her - a Willie Wagtail! The Willie Wagtail won and she flew off again and that was the last I saw of any of the birds that day.

I received a phone call from Madam X much later in the afternoon. The chick was on a large rock that juts out into the river from the embankment. The relief that it was OK was immense, but then all the other perils began to creep into our collective hysteria. That particular rock, which adjoins the embankment would be open to predators.

I received another phone call from Madam X a little while later, telling me that Big Hook was on the rock feeding the chick. Whew!

I received a further update just on dusk on Saturday that the chick was in a tree which is one of many along there that literally hundreds of Cormorants roost in at night.

Will continue the saga in a following post.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh! Heaven help them! I was scared to see how clumsy the branching went and worried a bit about it. It seems that Harmony has the impaitence of youthful humans... I hope this turns out all right.

PERTH, Australia

Saturday night was not a good night. My thoughts were consumed by an overwhelming concern for the chick, having conjured up all the most vivid and gruesome scenarios.

Yesterday (Sunday) morning, there was no sign of the chick anywhere. The parents had both briefly gone to the nest, but had otherwise been seen circling around towards the top of the bay. Big Hook had a fish and after eating the head off, left and was gone for approximately an hour. Good, we thought, that's promising, because that's about the length of time it takes for the chick to have a feed. But she was again seen circling around with a headless fish. Was it the same fish she'd been carrying around or another one.

I headed down to the embankment to see if I could pick up any clues as to the chicks whereabouts, risking life and limb and scrambling further than I have dared go before. Madam X bravely stood at the boundary line of her property, offering encouraging words like "you be careful", "watch your step", "don't fall and break your neck", "watch those prickly things" and "look out", whilst all the time eating an apple.

Unfortunately, there was no sign of the chick and I determined to return in the afternoon.

I went back to the nest yesterday afternoon and it was ghastly seeing the nest abandoned. I received a phone call from one of the others who'd been there when Harmony fell from the nest. They'd gone for a walk along the river from the other direction to see if they could spot the chick. They had seen Big Hook flying around with a fish and thought that she was tending to focus on one particular area of the bay.

Of course, then my mind went into overdrive, imagining the poor little chick had flown into thick vegetation and was trapped there, lacking the skill to extricate itself and Big Hook being unable to fly into it, because by doing so, she herself would have ended up entangled. I went down along the foreshore myself, but the tide was in and the visibility was extremely poor due to a smoke haze and all I could see were four ospreys (two distinct couples) flying around, which served to confuse the issue even more.

Continued in the nest post

PERTH, Australia

After another sleepless night, tossing and turning, I was up early. My husband offered to take me out into the bay in his dinghy so we could have a closer look right along the area without having to worry about tides and rough terrain. We were five minutes away from leaving home when I received the most welcome phone call from Madam X, who happily announced that the chick was back on the nest and making a racket.

I spoke to Madam X again just a while ago and she said the chick is spending its time up on the branch. It's still having fun flying and actually landed on top of Big Hook once, who shrugged it off, so it had to do another little circle around to eventually settle back on the branch, where I sincerely hope it still is.

Madam X and I are now going to check ourselves into a "health spa" to recuperate.

PERTH, Australia

I have no doubt that animals, including birds, experience grief and anguish. I've see the ospreys calling in an agitated manner with their beaks wide open before, but I've never seen anything like Big Hook's reaction to the empty nest.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

True maternal scream.

Perth, Australia

Margaret,
Well told; my compliments.
Forget the "health spa".
In Australia we have this wonderful medicine called "Hospital Brandy".
It is a very good drop and at 40% proof, three or four of them will beat a "health spa" hands down !!!
After the third, you will think you can fly, but do not attempt to emulate "Harmony's" antics.
I am posting an image of an osprey really in anguish.
Look at the fear/anguish in its eyes.
Denis.

Thumbnail by Calypsophoto
Perth, Australia

Margaret,

For some reason I uploaded a very very low res image last posting; apologies.
Here is the one I meant to upload.
Denis.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 5:10 AM

PERTH, Australia

Denis, your photographs are, as always, absolutely superb, as is your advice about the brandy. Thank you.

I got home from the nest a while ago. I haven't started to download my photos yet, but would like to assure everyone that things are as they should be. Harmony, who madam X thinks should be renamed "Havoc", was on the nest eating a fish with head still on. Big Hook came and went a few times and whilst there, would cast her gaze down to her chick more frequently than usual, as if to reassure herself that it was still there and not galavanting around with a bunch of Cormorants. Will post the pics later.

Perth, Australia

Denis,
Another startling image; was this during Harmony's absence? This looks like real anguish rather than 'annoyance' or the chiding of an errant child the osprey's sometimes display; it's also a very different screach to the one between Ma & Pa when they're scolding or calling one one another!. Her whole body posture appears to reflect her stress and anguish.
Margaret suggest you heed Dennis's wise words and follow his medicinal advice for one evening...............

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I had to go to bed worried to death about the chick, but couldn't wait to get up and see how she fared.

Reading this was like ... waking up during the night to pee, only to find out your kid (who you thought had never driven) had snuck the car out during the night. Absolutely gut wrenching. Poor Mama. I know she had to be sick with worry. I'd say I hope she "grounded" Harmony for causing her so much worry, but none of us wants that ....The photos of Mama in distress were incredible.

I'm so glad that this saga ended well. I hope you are recording all of this in a journal so you can publish it some day. You do a wonderful job of letting us see into the Osprey world while keeping us on the edge of our seats. Your loving observations, along with the photos make for excellent reading.

Janet

PERTH, Australia

Oh Janet, thank you and what a good analogy.

Very few shots from this afternoon. Little action - thank goodness!! Harmony (or is it Havoc) leisurely eating a fish.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

So glad that Harmony/Havoc is back safe and sound on the nest!

Melbourne, FL

Terrific news!

PERTH, Australia

Pelle, you are so right. Such a relief to see this precocious fledgling back where it belongs - for the time being.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Sorry GP, cross posted. Yes it's the best imaginable outcome.

This shot is out of sequence, but is typical of the many glances from the branch to the nest this afternoon.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Denis, I can't believe your photos, they're absolutely perfect!

Margaret, I know you held your breath when shooting the first walk up the branch by Harmony. This was an exciting moment for all of us. Reading further about Harmony falling and being lost had me in tears for both Harmony and for you. I'm so very happy to hear Harmony made it back to the nest-miracles do happen and this was one of them. Your photos are crystal clear and show the love you have for this family.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How stressful it's for mothers to helplessly stand by and witness their youngs making their mistakes ... fathers too for that matter. Margaret, words won't be adequate to thank you for all the trouble you endured over the weekend to bring this fantastic story for all around the world who are watching this thread. I agreed with Madame X; Havoc should be its name. This prococious kid is grounded! No iPod, no cell phone, no pc or hot rod for the next 3 days . lol.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 9:52 AM

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Lily, nicely put words for Margaret.
Forgot to say that I also think Havoc does truely fit this little one that caused so much grief.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Glad that all is well with Harmony...and that Madame X guided you with such care while navigated the embankment! LOL

Big Hook does look a little frazzled herself!

Perth, Australia

It is clear Harmony has caused enough havoc to last its entire lifetime.
What it needs, at least for the time being is a "guardian angel".
Here it is, courtesy of its mother !!!
Margaret, I trust you have discovered a new found belief in nature's survival capacity; it never ceases to amaze me.
Denis.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 6:22 AM

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

OH my oh my,what a relief,wow Iam soo glad harmony made it back to the nest,that is amazing how did harmony know where the nest was? mind boggling,can only imagine how you felt.My heart was aching.Love all the wonderful photos.Tamara

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Big sigh of relief!

Wonderful shots and the next best thing to being there..many thanks for your devotion to these awesome birds!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Denis......WOW!!! ^_^

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Denis, I myself am convinced of nature's law. Big Hook and her young picture's above speaks volume of mother's instinct in the animal kingdom! I'm so thankful of the priviledge of seeing/watching this thread that Margaret initiated. Thank Margaret. Thank Pete and Denis for your account of this beautiful Ospreys' family in Perth. I've a feeling this story could as well be made into the next "Hary Porter" - like Books/Movies somedays.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Denis, your "guardian angel" photo is just breathtaking!!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

"Hospital Brandy"… must put that on my list to Santa!

Renton, WA

Mighty, mighty pleasin, pappy's corn squeezin'
Whshhhoooh . . . white lightnin'

Margaret & Co. - beautiful shots, photography,
narratives & commentary-- thankyou for letting us sit and
enjoy and anguish along side you all through their journey.
Love little "H" practicing and guardian angel pics

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Great shots everyone ........

Pete, you commented earlier in this thread that the only threat to the Osprey in the Perth area is perhaps finding nesting sites as the population grows. Are any conservationists doing anything to alleviate that concern by building more artificial nesting sites ? I noticed that there was some expressed concern in South Australia and Kangaroo Island that urban crawl may or will have some long term impact on Osprey.

Denis, do you photograph Osprey on Rottnest Island ? I read that there are six or seven nesting pair on the island. I thought that you may also get some opportunities to photograph Osprey from the Calypso, as they attempt to catch fish.

One thing I just have to do is start shooting in RAW format and spend the time to learn how to get the most out of Photoshop. The "darkroom" is always where the best photographers add the finishing touch to bring out the best in their photos. I just have avoided it because of the file size. Denis, your photo gallery says volumes. I was just again admiring the photos of the Humpback Whales.

Perth, Australia

Linthicum,
Thank you.
Yes, I photograph a lot on Rottnest Island; birds, whales, wildlfie and landscapes.
There are far more than 6/7 osprey nests around the island, many of which can only be photographed from a small boat, generally in calm seas due to the dangers from swells breaking underneath/on the cliff faces, where the nests have been built.
If you visit to my website, go to the page "The Calypso Approach" and hit the link "Calypso V" on that page, you can download an article on Rottnest Island.
Would advise that you put everything aside for 20 minutes and read the article accompanied by a glass of your favourite wine!!!
I only shoot in RAW as you cannot capture sufficient data with the compression of jpegs.
Also RAW images offer so much more scope to maximize the results afterwards.
Must go as I am trying to bed down the final arrangement for a photographic safari to Kenya next year, which I am leading.
Denis.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2009 1:06 AM

Sandusky, OH

Guardian Angel is the perfect name for that shot! If these birds only new what pleasure their bringing to all of us. Denis I have been checking your website out and will definitely try to learn something. lol
When you refer to RAW image's are you all talking about the default setting with max size/pixels?

Perth, Australia

Burd_Fotos
To obtain a reasonably simple/first understanding of the differences between RAW & jpeg, visit Ken Rockwell's website at www.kenrockwell.com
He has written a nice piece titled "Raw versus jpeg".
It is a balanced and informative article.
At the same time have a look at your camera manual to see if your camera has the ability to shoot in RAW.
Hope this helps.
Denis.

Meanwhile, I do not think the chick is showing any signs of remorse, despite the scornful look from mother!!!

This message was edited Dec 2, 2009 4:27 AM

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Iam soo sad today,a second Redtailed hawk was killed on our road yesterday,Iam just sick,we were seeing the hawk almost everyday,and most recently hearing him out in our woods,and I was getting ready to start a hawk watch :( I was all set to have to pick his body off the road TG someone else had picked him up,by the time I returned home,just makes me sick whom ever hit him saw him in time to slow down or stop,there was a road kill bunny,he was feasting on .I hate road kills,so sorry to be a downer,just had to tell someone who really cares.

Marlton, NJ

Another excellent shot Denis!!

So sorry to hear about your hawks hugger!

PERTH, Australia

Tamara, I'm so sorry about another hawk being killed. It's so avoidable in most cases.

Denis, again your images are so beautiful.

There was little action at the nest this afternoon - believe me, I'm not complaining. Big Hook brought a whole fish to Harmony, who is now 67 days old. Harmony partook of the fish, but did so without any great enthusiasm, indicating that she was still full from a previous meal. Harmony remained on the nest the entire time I was there.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.