Mistletoe

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Anyone know if mistletoe grows here in Michigan? I want to find some REAL mistletoe this year and not the fake or the dried stuff.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Black Spruce (Picea mariana)

This is a common tree species in bogs in the U.P. and northern Lower Peninsula. In southern Michigan it is less common and at the very southern edge of its range. From a distance this species can be recognized by its narrowly conic form often with a clubshaped tuft of growth at the top. Trees in northern Michigan and Canada are commonly infested with dwarf mistletoe (Arceuthobium pusillum). Mistletoe is a parasitic flowering plant that causes the formation of "witch's brooms."

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks! Now, I need to ask, does anyone know of local mistletoe they have seen? I would be glad to pay for shipping, time and trouble to get some.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

bRENDA, thanks for the info. I was told mistletoe only grows in OAK TREES, i know FL. is having a real problem of it taking over, and killing out the oaks in some areas So I was told i couldn't bring any into Mi.

And Kris............FRESH mistletoe? Is there going to be alot of "smooching" in your house this Christmas?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.