Butterfly Bush Prune it Now or in the Spring

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I have just cleaned my garden off for the Winter and would like to know if one can prune the Butterfly bush now or should I wait till Spring to do it?

Remember I live in Zone 5

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Generally they're pruned in the spring--I don't know if anything bad would happen if you pruned it now, but waiting until spring is definitely fine.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

In your zone I would wait till spring, in my zone I just prune mine and they're growing again. LOL.

Danville, IN

I prune back a little to make them look less weedy all winter. Then in the spring I cut them to the ground since they almost always die back that far anyway. Remember, they emerge very late in the spring, so don't give up on them! I had a friend who pulled up her plants in April thinking they were dead. We replanted them, and to her amazement, they started to grow in May.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I always wait until spring, and prune them back to where they are sprouting leaves. But if you're concerned about the way they look in winter, certainly prune them back to about a foot tall or so. I wouldn't prune them back to the ground in fall in Z5, but about a foot high should be good.

Mine only die back to the snow line, which is usually about four foot here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.