SALIX HAKURA NISHIKI Where To Buy One

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I am looking for a SALIX HAKURA NISHIKI ( TOP GRAFT ) Can someone please help me in finding one on here?

I have been looking all over to find one.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Should be easily available . . . though why anyone would want to get it is beyond me . . . ugly, untidy sprawling monster that it is ;-)

Resin

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I used to grow it, but took it out because it was too big for the site.
I didn't think it was as awful as some others have posted (not just Resin, but many others as well).
If you still want one, you can easily find vendors on DG site.
Plantfiles lists 10 vendors for it.

Danville, IN

I'd been watching two top-grafted Dappled Willows in this area over the past few years. They grew like weeds (of course) and the owners just pruned them back severely (to stubs) each spring. By summer they had grown out at least 5' when they were pruned back to about 3'. For some reason, both that I have been watching just up and died this summer. Very weird.

I ripped out my willow a few years ago. It was too rampant a grower and a Japanese beetle magnet to boot!

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

As soon as you said it was a Japanese Magnet I do not want it and also you stated that it grew like a weed that kind of told me something.

My next question is what would you put in it's place?

This goes in a inland in front of my house along with 4 Green Gem Boxwoods and Daylillies, Heucherella and Liriope, what would you put to take it's place???

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

There are hundreds of more attractive, interesting in multiple seasons, and less rampant species that you could try. Spend a little time going back through the thousands of posts in this forum for some full reviews/discussions of these kinds of ornamental trees - instead of picking a "one trick pony" with a short life span.

With the full sun species you listed as accompanying plantings, I'd think a starter list could include any of the following:

*Stewartia (Stuartia) spp., maybe Stewartia pseudocamellia
*Acer griseum
*Viburnum rufidulum 'Royal Guard'
*Acer triflorum
*Magnolia spp., especially one like *Magnolia sieboldii 'Colossus'
*Cornus kousa
*Franklinia alatamaha

And so many more. All you have to do is fill in the answers for desired size, soil/moisture range, and then try to narrow the field.

Danville, IN

If you wanted something on a standard, there are many conifer and deciduous plants grown this way. How much room do you have for its eventual size? Are you needing evergreen, flowering, or deciduous?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

You might like looking around this sight for ideas? http://pendulousplants.com/

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Musser Forests, if they still have them. I got one there.
http://www.musserforests.com/prod.asp?p=DAW

This message was edited Nov 23, 2009 9:43 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.