Need help

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I need to organize my seeds and have no idea how to do it efficiently. How do all of you accomplish this task?

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I have a plastic Tote, I taped Cardboard inside of it to divide it, then made alphabetical dividers out of cardboard to divide the seed packets. I have Tomato seeds in one, divided Alpha order, which I am thinking of changing this winter to sort by Color and THEN alpha.

My other seeds I just have divided by flowers and vegies--one side is flowers, one side is vegies, organized in alpha order.

Excuse the mess, I need to go through and get everything back into order--but this is my tomato seed box.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009 1:33 PM

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Depends on how much seeds you have. I have one of those plastic filing system with tabs already on them. I split my seeds into 3 letters of the alphabets A-C, D-F, etc.... Then I put all my A seeds in a plastic bag and put them under that tab. I have a lot of 'C' seeds, so I bought those freezer bag that you can put manual pump over it and suck out all the air. It's a resealable bag so it makes it easier to take seeds out and redo it again.

I file my seeds by common name because I can't remember all the technical names. However, I may put mallow and hollyhock together since I know they are in the same family. I also put all my Morning Glories together since I have a pretty big collection of these seeds.

May be this will work for you.

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Depends on how much seeds you have and if you want to wintersow them, sow them in spring or keep them for trades.
This is how I do it with over 400 species to winter and spring sowing and about 300 species for trading/selling:
- The seeds I want to wintersow, I throw in a box and make a list on my computer (how to sow, shadow or sun). Short before winter sowing I file them alphabetical.
- The seeds I want to sow in spring, I also throw in a box, but in a dark one and one who can't be damaged by mouses.
I keep the box in the stables (temperatures during winter between 0°C and 5°C. I also make a list on my computer (how to sow, shadow or sun) Short before sowing them indoors or outdoors in spring I file them alphabetical
- The seeds I want to keep for trading/selling: I prepare a few packets of each in plastic zip locs, label them and store them alphabetical on a cool place in a dark closed container (mouses do very much like seeds).
The rest is also stored in paper bags, also on a cool place and in dark containers.
Alphabetical order is very important to trace the seeds quickly. I always use the botanical/latin names, because I trade and sell international, but if you only want to store them for your self, you can also use the common names.
Making a list on your computer is a good help. I always do that, so I can see directly how to sow and where to put the seeds. Plus, I always make a note on the printed list, when, where (in- or outside) and how much I sowed and how they did germinate.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I started a seed storage thread a while back and got some great ideas. Maybe some of these ideas will help you, too!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/936744/

Becky, I like that binder idea.

Thanks, LiliMerci! I do like it alot, too! :-) Very practical for me. :-)

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 12:55 PM

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

rockgardener, I would love to see your pictures.

ants

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 12:56 PM

Thumbnail by rockgardner
Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by rockgardner
Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by rockgardner

wow, you are way too organize!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, RG! To say I am impressed does not scratch the surface. That is amazing. I can see you have way more seeds than I do. Is it a business or a huge hobby for you?

I am impressed! How nicely organized. Looks far too nice to be a seed collection! lol I can only dream of such an attractive way to save my seeds! :-)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for that link. The binder looks like something I could do. Are those dividerslike the kind for photos or trading cards?

Yes, those pages are for trading cards. :-) Perfect for small seed packets. I also will fold up a commercial seed pack and slip into the pockets on each page as well. If you skim down that thread, you will see a close-up photo of what the pages look like. I got mine at WalMart. And just bought a cheap 3-ring binder there too. :-) I actually have 3 binders full of seeds. (Just added the 3rd one this week.)

This message was edited Nov 22, 2009 7:53 PM

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks a million. I think I will try that. I have some huge 3 ring binders I salvaged from the lab I used to work in.

You are welcome! :-) I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me! :-)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I'll post a pic when I get it together.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 12:57 PM

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I know what you mean about being a junkie. It seems I cannot pass a seed pod without feeling wasteful. :) I have lots of flower seeds right now I need to clean up, package and get on the seed trading forum. Problem is, I collected the seeds after the blooms had fallen so I don't know what the colors are. Guess I'll just ask for postage on them.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

What great ideas. I was just wondering last week how to organize seeds I've bought and collected. Can't pass a plant whether it's mine or not without "borrowing" a few seeds...lol
My plastic bin is officially retired after seeing this!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My DH calls me a seed theif.

Hi, my name is Nicole and I'm a seed addict.

I too can not pass by some dead flowerhead without taking it. I live in a nice area and the shopping center by our house replace their plants all the time. They had these beautiful, large (giant) purple zinnias that I wanted to bad. I was trying to think of a way to get the dead flowers. I did not think they would let it go to brown. I guess because of the economy, they were replacing plants less and the zinnia did go to seeds. I sat down on some benches right next to it and I had to pull some off that was leaning into my chair. My kids thought I was crazy. I always have something in my purse to put the seeds in!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So glad to know I am not alone. LOL

LOL! Me, too! :-)

My thought ... any gardener who loves flowers will sneak flowerheads/seeds from gardens they come across. I have been known to stop, park, literally jump out of my car (driver side) at the local fast food restaurant drive thrus to collect seed heads from their landscape. It embarrasses the heck out of my kids. But I know the place of business doesn't care and will pull up any sprouts. They like the landscaping perfectly in order and very pristine. So I figure I am helping them out. My biggest temptation is plant nurseries, which I try to avoid as much as possible. I am not slick and sneaky enough to quickly grab seeds from plants there, but Boy! don't I wish! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.