Cut back Limelight Hydrangea?

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

I bought one last spring from a nursery, large pot, and it only got one bloom on it. Very disappointing because it wasn't cheap. Now, I wonder do I prune it at all or maybe cut this back to the ground and let it grow next year fresh or will I cut any potential blooms off? It didn't grow very much, it's about 36 x36.
thanks,
Judy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It blooms on new wood so you don't have to be careful about pruning times like you do with some other types. But since it didn't grow that much this year I don't know why you would need to prune. I'd leave it alone. Many things don't bloom too much their first year in the ground--they are taking time to get their roots going so I would just be patient with it and see how it does next year. It wouldn't hurt to doublecheck that you're watering & fertilizing properly and that it's getting enough sun, but chances are it's just following the "first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap" rule that many shrubs and perennials follow.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I would also leave it alone. I have one have had several years. I planted it in the fall and could hardly wait for it to bloom in the spring. It was a large plant and like you not cheap. Well the first year I was very disappointed. It bloomed but nothing like what I was expecting. I didn't do anything to it. Didn't do any pruning. Just waited to see what would happen this year. This year it was beautiful. It bloomed it's little heart out. Just what I was expecting the first year. I think yours probably just needs to get settled in. I wouldn't do pruning!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Don't do any pruning, unless it's really badly shaped, and needs it for that reason. In the spring fertilize it well, and keep it watered.

What's happening is the plant is reflecting how it was cared for in the nursery, and I would say not well. Often times the opposite is true. You will buy a plant, say a lilac, as these are well know for this, and the first year after planting it will bloom like crazy, and then the next year nothing. It blooms well as the plant was 'programmed', so to speak in the nursery to bloom well, and the it takes a year to recoup and settle in. So the opposite happened with you, it was not 'programmed' to bloom in the nursery, so you got a weak first year.

Next year will be better. Limelight is a wonderful hydrangea. I consider it the best.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Don't give up on your Limelight! I bought some from Park Seeds at the end of the season (a little hesitant, due to their Watchdog ratings, but couldn't resist the buy one, get two free). When they arrived, they were just bare little 8 inch sticks. I gave one to my SIL, one to my MIL, and kept one. It has just taken off! The first year, it got one HUGE bloom on each of its poor little stems; it hardly looked like they were big enough to support it. The second year, last year, it was covered in blooms, and everyone who passed by asked what it was. This year, it is about 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide. I'm expecting quite a show! I also got a Pinky Winky and a Precioza, but the Limelight is far and away my favorite. Give it some time, and it will certainly reward you!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It truly is gorgeous.

Thumbnail by pirl
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks everyone! Although I am not the one who asked, I too bought one last year, and am concerned about it this year, as it doesn't appear to be doing much yet. Can you please tell me what you fertilize yours with? Thanks!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I got a fertilizer for acid-loving plants. It was called Holly-tone, and listed azaleas, hollies, and I think rhododendrons on the label, in addition to hydrangeas.

Mine isn't doing too much yet, just leaves at this point. You are a couple of zones cooler than me, so it may just not be ready to take off yet. Could you post a picture of yours, so we can see what is causing the concern?

Also thought I'd mention that someone here suggested I work some peat moss into the soil around it as I planted it, as that helps acidify the soil gently. Any idea if your soil tends to be acidic or alkaline? I live in a river valley, and have VERY alkaline soil, which is why I haven't attempted one of the blue-blooming hydrangeas yet. Just sounds like it would be a constant struggle to keep the soil at the right level of acidity to keep the blue color!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Is it showing any signs of life yet (leaf buds, etc)? Plant Files only shows them as hardy to zone 4a and I think that's consistent with what I've seen elsewhere too, so with you being in 3b you may be a bit borderline for them. Given that, if it did make it through the winter and is still alive it wouldn't surprise me if it's slow getting going.

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

When does Limelight bloom in zone 6? Mine has grown very large, lots of leaves, but no sign of blooms or buds.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

No buds whatsoever here, in zone 5a, on either the Limelight or Pinky Winky. Last year it was late July/August before I saw the first blooms. Since you are a zone warmer, you might be getting some fairly soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.