Nicotiana mutabilis..izit...izit ain't?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I planted out 3 of these about mid-May,they grew but never bloom. I've googled and found conflicting info on if it's annual or perennial for my zone 8. Should I do anything special to get them thur the winter?

Peggy

Danville, IN

I can't find this species in any of my resources. Does it have another classification?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy, They look like the ones I have growing in my yard. I bought cheap seeds years ago simply called "mixed nicotiana". They grow like weeds. They reseed like crazy and, planted near the foundation of my house, have perennialized here in my zone 6 yard.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

More

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are some roots of just one plant that I dug out in May. With roots like this in May in zone 6 they are obviously perennial now.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

All of these pics were from just one plant. I definitely think they'd be perennial for you. I dug out and composted the rest, at least all that I could get, in fall. They were trying to take over the earth I think.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Danville, IN

I recognize them now. I saw them used in large plantings in Lincoln Park in Chicago. I do believe they reseed freely. I have Nicotiana sylvestris in my gardens which behaves quite the same. It has large spikes of tubular flowers that are very fragrant. It's supposed to be an annual in my zone 5B, but some of the roots survive and it reseeds freely. (I'm surprised yours didn't flower though, unless you planted it late in the season.)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, they sure are fragrant. The scent fills my yard in the evening. And the hummingbirds love them.

I will probably leave a few volunteers in the yard next year, I just don't want so many of them sprouting all summer and crowding and shading everything else. They're about 4 to 5 feet tall. Occasionally one will hit around 6 feet. With most of those big roots gone now, they'll hopefully be easier to control.

Karen

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm beginning to wonder if these are indeed the n.mutibilis as the leaves are totaly different from picture on Annie's Annuals. They're very large and rounder. I'll get picture later today.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy, there are just so many types of nicotiana. It could be one of many cultivars. Maybe if you post a picture, someone could ID it better.

I think all nicotiana have big leaves. In spring, before flowers appear, my husband calls them "those cabbage looking things".

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

wow Karen your gardens are so dancy and cheery.Nice job.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you. You might call them "wintersower gone wild!"

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW are those larkspur?
I bought seeds of plants I like and was wondering where to plant them.
Cosmose dwarf white will go in with white caladiums and white impatiens, and double clickand seashells.
Zinnias several types and annual poppies (which have already been sown,I like your random assortment in with the larkspur.
Thats what I will do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.