Reblooming Bearded Iris Bloom Nov 20, 2009

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's Reblooming Bearded Iris "Tara's Choice" blooming down here in Ft Lauderdale, FL this morning.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
South Hamilton, MA

I didn't know that bearded irises grew in FL. Nice plant.

I've read they're not supposed to, but the "Rebloomers' do just fine for me.

South Hamilton, MA

Like anywhere else, it depends on the cultivar, glad that some do for you.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Very pretty!!

Lebanon, OR

I had forgotten how pretty that one was, thank you for the great picture and for posting it.

D

South Hamilton, MA

Dee do you remember the hybridizer?

The hybridizer is Betty Wilkerson 2004

South Hamilton, MA

Thanks I have not seen many of her plants--but then KY is a bit away from here.

That's true. My only option is to buy them online, since no one in South Florida sells them.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Very nice bloom. Love the deep coloring.

Santa Ynez, CA

see never know until you try and iris I think will grow at least some just about anywhere, just find some sun:) beautiful photo, iris is striking......

Thanks. I've had no luck with Bearded Iris here in South Florida, so I don't try those anymore. The rebloomers are a different story. I'd guess about 80-90% of the ones I have do bloom within the first year. A few don't rebloom, and others like "Pink Attraction" bloom at least 3 times during the cooler weather from Oct-May.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Iris!

South Hamilton, MA

?? If bearded iris 'don't bloom' in south FL, how come you have them in bloom? Do those just bloom in the fall? They are bearded irises. So it must depend on the cultivar.

I'm separating them into two categories (regular tall bearded iris that bloom once a year, and reblooming tall bearded iris that can bloom 2 or more times a year). I've been unable to get the once a year blooming varieties to bloom down here. Many of the reblooming varieties bloom for me in the spring, and then again in the fall. A few reblooming varieties like "Immortality" and "Pink Attraction" bloom 3 or 4 times for me, between the fall and spring. Most of my rebloomers tend to bloom/rebloom, at some point, between November and May. I've had most of them 3 years now and had never seen a bloom, on any of them, in June, July and August. That changed this year when "Pink Attraction" bloomed in early June and "Rosalie Figge" bloomed on July 1st.

My hunch is that the reblooming varieties do not require winter dormancy, and that is why I'm getting blooms on them.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Good for you, amorecuore!

South Hamilton, MA

That sounds logical. We only have a few rebloomers which work in our climate, which include Immortality & Pink Attraction. It does depend on the cultivar. Are you a member of the reblooming Iris Society? Even if you are not, they would love to have a report on which irises grow for you.

Yes, it does depend on the cultivator just about anywhere in the US. The two you mentioned are my best performers along with Bearded Iris "Renown".

I've always felt alienated trying to grow Bearded Iris down here. I'm not a member of any Iris societies, to date. Everyone tells me they won't bloom here, and they leave it at that. There are even a few online retailers (won't mention their names) who won't sell them to me because I live in Florida. I'm just glad I gave them a try, and have had enough success to make it worthwhile. They've been my favorite flower as far back as I can remember. I just had to give them a try and see what happens. LOL...It only took me one bloom down here to remember just how much I like them.

Here's a picture of Reblooming Bearded Iris "Clarence" blooming on Oct 12, 2009

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Who would have thunk, TBI blooming in November. Boy am I jealous!

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I have 3 getting ready to rebloom, hopefully there will be no freeze before they do. I usually encounter that.

Thank You for the picture of Tara's Choice. I have it too, but it has not bloomed yet. It sure is a beauty !!!!!!!!

I hope you don't get a freeze either 1913cat. That would be a real bummer. I'm not sure how well "Tara's Choice is going to bloom/rebloom down here quite yet. I only received the rhizome/fan in early August and it grew and bloomed quite fast. I guess that means this bloom is the rebloom??? I'm cautiously optimistic that it will bloom again soon and/or in the spring. Only time will tell.

Jon

Gainesville, TX

bountiful harvest has it's second period of rebloom today....it bloomed out several over a month ago on the same plant. This pic is from the Oct blooms, we have had frost down to 28 twice since then. The blooms today aren't fantastic, they look a little frost damaged. I remember last thanksgiving having an unknown yellow rebloomer,. I hope it's blooming tomorrow, maybe I can get a picture for an ID

Thumbnail by sharondippity

Nice "Bountiful Harvest" Sharon. That one's been a pretty reliable rebloomer down here. Perhaps your yellow rebloomer is "Harvest Of Memories"??? I'm just taking a guess at it. I haven't been getting any reblooming on that one yet in two years.

Jon

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

sharondippity, That is really pretty. We haven't had any weather that cool yet! I've got a bloom stalk on a TB now.

Gainesville, TX

I would have thought the North to be colder by now.

Our weather is unpredictable, will be up into the 60s today sunny and beautiful, but we had frost this morning.....sometimes we get a day or so up into the 80s thru Dec.....then maybe (freaky, not normally) a late freeze after all has bloomed out in the spring. Our coldest weather is in Feb thru March and springtime for me is April 15. The hummingbirds come back here April 1st every year and their favorite is the coral honeysuckle which has just started to bloom then

I am taking a break between cooking

South Hamilton, MA

It can get very cold at Thanksgiving time, but today is 51. However sort of damp so not really outside weather. Nothing of any sort of plant still blooming. So I can stay indoors & watch the Packer game. Happy Thankgiving to everyone.

Santa Ynez, CA

it is 54 out with a high of 75 for today, usually not real winter like conditions for thanksgiving.....I hope everyone has a happy and safe and blessed Thanksgiving, to all my wonderful iris friends:) Marie

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Sunny 80 degrees today, 55 tonight and high of 72 tomorrow. Gonna put the Christmas lights on the shrubs and palm tree this evening.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.