gardening in Boston

Langley, BC, BC(Zone 8b)

help help
a friend of mine, originally from England, is moving from coastal BC to Boston early next year. She, like me, is an avid English style (for want of a better word) gardener -- roses, perennials, zone pushing shrubs -- and is feeling pessimistic about the new locale. I am the cheering section, the enabler and would appreciate any help I can get re plant sources, plant experiments any of you may have made -- a firmer guide to the possible!!!

thanks in advance - here's a friendly peony as a token of appreciation

Thumbnail by hortensia
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi hortensia ^_^ There is a great thread 'Garden Photos' on this forum which runs all year. Many of the MA members post there showing their gardens through the seasons including shrubs and roses as well as perennials. That is a great place for ideas.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

A great friend on DG that lives in Mass is Boojum. If your friend is interested in irises, here's a thread Boojum started on irises. Be advised, it's long and addicting.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985796/

And here's a picture of part of her garden.

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2008/winners.php?catid=298

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

where in the boston area will your friend live? it might make a difference on what they can grow.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Peonies do fine here, for instance. For me, I am wondering, is it city like me or country like Boojum? That makes a difference too. My biggest obstacle - well, not my BIGGEST but a factor - is all the pesticides people on my street use on their lawns.

South Hamilton, MA

Planting season ends earlier than in BC & the US pacific NW. No need to worry, there are plenty of gardens in MA. Boojum lives in zone 5 in western MA. Eastern is in zone 6a (I suspect that Boston is that. )Just west of Boston is zone 5 & includes the garden of one of the top siberian breeders (Joe Pye Weed garden) in Carlisle. We grow bearded iris, daylilies & peonies--because those are the flowers we like. Certainly roses also grow well. The Arnold Arboretum is a well known organization. Many shrubs are happy & they would be the place to contact about trees & shrubs. Her particular garden may have plants already there--probably will turn up in the spring. We don't have a wet & dry season cycle. It depends on the rainfall all yr round. Last year we had a heavy amount of snow. This yr.?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

carlisle is 6a now - only a couple towns away - any tours of that garden available iris?

South Hamilton, MA

There is a region 1 iris meeting June 5 with guests (we will be away) but usually not without calling as it is a 2 person oranization.

Langley, BC, BC(Zone 8b)

Well, thank you all for such prompt and useful responses. My friend will probably be living in Grafton, outside of Boston, or else in a similar quasi rural area within commuting distance of the city. I had realized that she was near the Arnold Arboretum -- horticultural gold, as far as I was concerned! I have not had a chance, dahlianut, to check out the forum, but will do so, thanks for the tip. And pollyk, she needs a replacement in her life for her current iris addict (me :) )

Peonies do NOT grow well here, nor do lilacs -- I think that is also a useful place of encouragement --- she is v fond of siberian iris as well. I think it is important to remember that you are moving TO something, as well as away. glorious peonies, for example, and roses that are happier away from SO MUCH RAIN!!!

yes it is raining today. Flooding on the island. "We don't have a wet and dry cycle" sounds good to me!

South Hamilton, MA

The arboetum has a lilac walk in the spring which is very well advertised. I don't go because I am allergic to their pollen. The New England Wildflower Society is in Framingham which is farther west of Boston, but still close by. Hybrid tea roses are a bit tender over the winters, but other types do well.

Bill--I asked the Joe Pye Weed people about visits at a meeting this weekend. They are having an open day on June 5'10 (mark your calendar). On an open day they will answer any questions. Visitors can come other days, but please don't try to ask questions at other times because they are on a tight schedule. Siberian iris are at the back of their property in early June, but there is a hill closer to the road with paths & the plantings are spectacular. I usually approach the other plantings on a grass path at the bottom of the hill as I don't 'do' up & down very well.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice to hear she likes siberian irises. Can you get her to sign up here, and come over to the iris forum, along with being on the NE forum? I think she would enjoy it. On the iris forum we talk quite a bit about siberian irises, and yes, if she could make the trip to Joe Pye Weeds Garden to see siberian irises, she would love that.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx iris i will make note of the dates!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Arnold Arboretum has Lilac Sunday every May. In 2010, it is scheduled for May 9. Arboretum opens early in the morning, has singing, dancing, lilac lectures and tours of the 700 lilacs. In the past, if you join the Arboretum as a member on lilac sunday, they give you a lilac plant {small, but healthy} as a present. I have two Belle de Nancy lilac plants growing in my garden which came to me from that route. BDN's are pink. I like Korean lilacs, for the scent, which do quite well here and lest we forget, the azaleas, rhododendrons and viburnum which can amaze you in the spring here in New England. Arnold has thousands of different trees and shrubs from New England and all around the world. I love it because if I am interested in acquiring a shrub I am not sure about, I find out if Arnold has it. I figure, if it grows on their hillside, it will grow on mine! You can go there and walk around any time of the year and they also offer classes on various horticultural subjects. I took their pruning class once.
Irises of all sorts like it here, as well as bulbs, roses, and a whole great list of other perennials.
Please tell your friend to join us here on DG! When she gets here, she can tell us all about her garden site and, who knows? we might even have a few suggestions for her plantings.
Martha

Langley, BC, BC(Zone 8b)

ONE MORE TIME, thank you.

most of these posts have been to the point of the thread (always very WELCOME) and every one of those respondents has been extremely generous with their knowlege. take a bow!!! it is what is best about dg!! I particularly like gardenmarts Arnold info, and also the reminders (from others as well) to encourage my friend to join DG. Don' t know how that will fly, but its the right choice!!!

are there particular nurseries in the environs you would recommend? or favourite mailorder? Schlepping around the garden watchdog, I have been (my usual) green with envy about the vast numbers of plants available to all of you from all over the us, but I am wholly unfamiliar with your shipping costs, which must be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than ours to make it worthwhile shipping (for example) roses in soil/containers instead of bare root.

here is a little garden pic from me by way of thank you.

Thumbnail by hortensia
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I am a little se of your friends new location but here are some places that she might like to have a look at.
http://www.westonnurseries.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.home/index.htm
http://www.avantgardensne.com/catalog/category.cgi/4/p1/default/N
http://www.tranquil-lake.com/index.htm
Tell her we welcome her to the area and to DG if she should decide to join. Lots of helpful people here.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Ooooh! Tranquil Lake! Not only can you mail order, you can go there on Daylily days. What a treat! If only you can find your way through the wilderness to Rehoboth, MA! The other two nurseries are MA institutions and reliable also. Sigh. It's Winter here and I have to wait for Spring!
Martha

PS I forgot to mention the Leventritt vine garden, the section devoted to Rosaceae [but not roses} and the Bonsai Collection at Arnold. I have been a member for 26 years. It's where I went first when I moved here!

Go here: www.arboretum.harvard.edu
and check it out.
M

This message was edited Nov 24, 2009 9:07 AM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

there is also a new one (i think) in Plymouth

http://katsuragardens.com/

looks like a good place to find japanese maples and conifers

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Martha a GPS would be helpful in navigating the wilderness of Rehoboth. LOL It is well worth the search. They dig the DLs when you buy them. Also have a selection of perennials and grasses. The daylily days are wonderful. Here is a pic of one of my visits there.

Hortensia also check the listings here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/676685/

This message was edited Nov 24, 2009 10:22 AM

Thumbnail by ngam
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Tranquil Lake also had great display gardens at the last couple of Boston Flower Shows. Don't know yet if they will be exhibiting in March 2010.
Martha

South Hamilton, MA

The flower show is no longer put on.

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

The Boston Flower Show is back again this year. BLOOMS 2010
http://www.masshort.org/Blooms-2010 March 24 to March 28.

Another place to visit is Tower Hill Botanic Garden in Boylston, MA.
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.html

The Worcester County Horticultural Society (WCHS)
the third oldest horticultural society in the U.S.A., is the
governing nonprofit organization that owns and operates
Tower Hill Botanic Garden.

Have a great day,
John

Thumbnail by JWLW
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

yep. there will be horticulture at the Boston Show. It will be held at the Seaport World Trade Center. I am grooming Dave the Davallia for said show. Go, Dave, Go!
Martha

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Best place to get plants is a DG Round-up! 2nd best is trades.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.