fertilize Cup and Saucer vine?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I was reading the plant files for culture info on the Cup and Saucer vine and someone stated not to fertilize much or you'd get all leaves and no bloom. What's the best fertilizer for it or use none. I usually use a bloom buster type fertilizer on most of my flowering vines.
mj

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Per MarthaStewart.comwater and fertilize:Maintain soil moisture all season. Apply a low-nitrogen fertilizer biweekly, following label directions.

ok...thank you....

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

No absolutely DO NOT fertilize! I live in CA where this vine only received water via sprinklers (almost no rain here) and it got HUGE in a few months, from a 4" pot. I can only imagine how invasive it would get in your warm, humid climate!

Well I don't even have it in the ground yet. I was going to wait till spring, since we can get hard freezes here and it's not that big yet.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

If you are talking about cobea scandens, it is definitely invasive! It's on the verge of eating New Zealand. The problem are the seeds since they are papery can be windblown very easily and I had one survive 3 winters outdoors with no protection in a 1 gallon pot. Like Sweet Autumn Clematis, once established nearly impossible to get rid of.

X

Hey Anne,
Yes, Cobea scandens. I'm not at this point giving it any special considerations. It's in a basket hanging on an Oak tree limb, for lack of a better spot to put it at this point. It's such a beautiful flower, and I've got so much space as far as putting stuff in the ground, but no greenhouse to overwinter. So if we get a hard frost/freeze, if their in pots they get stuck in the barn or between some sheds and hope for the best. I might throw some frost cloth or old blankets over them. This one is too small yet to flower or produce seeds. So for now that's not my problem.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My experience with it, is leave it alone. Like most vines if seems to find what it needs. The only time I do fertilize it, is in the spring with everything at the same time, alfalfa pellets.

haha...ok, I can feed it the same thing I feed my horses ?!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

isn't it ironic? some of the best things for plants, are other plant...LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Alfalfa just breaks down into nitrogen doesn't it?

I would think so....I know what it breaks down to when the horses eat it ......LOL

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.