Please suggest how to prune my Hollywood Juniper

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I have revised the bed underneath my Hollywood Juniper and have also added a gazebo in the area. I now find that the juniper shades most of the morning sun (the part of the day this bed gets the most of) on my new bed. I need to prune it, and would love to have suggestions as to how to do it. I would not mind a more formal look, considering the type of gazebo I have put in, although other suggestions would also be most welcome. Thank you.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

With a plant this size you could try and prune it like a bonsai which would thin out the branches considerably and make it more open. Any bonsai book or site would give you some ideas - aim for a natural structure. My neighbour did this with a conifer than was about 10 foot tall and it worked fine.

Thanks for your input. That is pretty much what I have in mind, but that approach is new to me.

Danville, IN

I agree. I would start by pruning off all of the weaker, smaller branches, leaving the main ones to see what interesting shape it "wants to be". You might even train that large branch on the left to be more vertical (ropes and/or stakes). I think it could become a "specimen" focal point, looking much older than it is.

So, do you cut back the tips to get more of an effect of a puff?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't think a hollywood juniper would look good pruned at the tips.
It naturally grows in a beautiful architectural form.
I would selectively prune out the unwanted branches all the way to the trunk.

Danville, IN

In this area, we have a 'Hollywood' substitute called 'Robusta Green' juniper. I've seen it pruned bonsai-ish and it looks great. All of the smaller branches were removed right to the trunk and I do think the tips were pruned to encourage a fuller growth along the branches. If it doesn't work, it would always continue growing out eventually anyway. It'd be fun for you to experiment.

You want to aim for a cloud formation ie a puffed look at the end of the branches.

Like this

http://www.taylormadegardens.co.uk/cloud_trees.html

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I guess it's an aesthetic difference.
I love the sweeping sprays of foliage which this form naturally forms.
I don't care for the poodle look, but just my opinion.

Wow, impressive stuff and something to strive for. Thank you so much for the link. It certainly has given me some ideas.

I tend to like a plant's natural form, too. But in this case I want to keep it from casting too much shade, so I think trying something a little different will be just that: a little different from my usual stuff. I think the ornate gazebo has encouraged me in that direction, too.

Do let us know how you get on with this project :)

Will do. As soon as the yard is ready for cold weather, I plan to get out the pruners and loppers, hopefully before the first of the year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.