daylily daycare

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi y'all!
Haven't been dropping in too often lately (i liurk around the edges on occasion), but where else do i turn with this kind of question..?

Eric and i will be moving soon (ihope). We are not sure where to, we're exploring a couple of options. (Maybe St Louis, maybe NJ, maybe... anywhere i can find a job?)

It hurts me to leave all my plants behind here. I had planned on digging up a few early in the fall to see if someone would like to foster them. Then, next spring (or even the following spring if we end up somewhere with no garden space for a year) they could send me back part of it, and keep part too. (Really this is about my 'Sir Modred' daylily, which i am a little too attached to, but also a 'Luxury Lace' from Pixie - and a few others from Pixie and Thom, and some of my dianthus, particularly 'Firewitch'.)

In early October a tragic event derailed many things in life. i haven't had much heart for winterizing things, since i'm doing no planting, and knowing i won't be here to see the garden wake up in the spring. (It was a little too much of a reminder of someone else i won't see wake up again either). But that is neither here nor there.

The real questions are: can i still dig up my daylilies? (We've only had a couple of freezes here, enough to kill off cosmos, zinnias, and dahlias; but not enough to freeze the ground.) and: is there anyone you can think of who might take them on? Would someone here in z6 be able to do anything with them? i'd also be willing to ship them off to a southerly vacation, but i don't know who to ask.
Thank you for any help...

amy

Thumbnail by amethystsm
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't have the answer to your question... and sorry to hear about your loss... but just wanted to say hello and to remind you if you are thinking about NJ we have crazy high taxes.. I just found out last year parts of CT were bad too.. so you might be used to it... and the cosmos you gave me at Kassias seeded it self all over my front yard.. it looked wonderful.. thank you!

Thumbnail by onewish1
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

AMY!!!! So good to "see" you. I think about you a lot. So sorry to hear you've had a tragedy in your life.

I don't see why you can't dig things up now, make sure to take plenty of the soil surrounding them so you don't disturb the roots too much.
Who else is in CT??? hmmmm....AYankeeCat, david_paul, DonShirer, drumlin, Robin...maybe one of them can babysit for you instead of having to ship them out....of course I'm sure anyone here would be willing to help ya out.

I second what Allison said about the taxes unless you're not planning on buying a house.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Amy! Good luck with your move and best to you.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks Alison, Jen, and Victor!
No, NOT buying a house, we are looking for an apartment for a year or so if we stay in the NE. Somewhere less than 1 hour by train to Manhattan. (i've done the 2 hours from here a few more times than i'd care to - like 11 days out of 12 a few weeks ago!)

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Can anyone help?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Amy I d-mailed all the CT members for you, they may not have seen your thread. Hope you get a response.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Amy, Yes you can still transplant and of course I would foster parent them (I could even provide referrences) It should be done sooner than later and I will have time the next 2 weekends.
Sorry about your loss.
david

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Amy! How great to hear from you, but I'm very sorry for your loss too. We've sure missed you! Hang in there and I hope life takes a good turn for you now.
Louise (who thought of you every time I passed my strawflowers this summer!)

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

Hi Amy!! I'd love to foster your babies, but guess what, I'm getting the heck outta here too! I'm putting my house on the market in February at the latest. I had a crying jag over leaving all the plants that I've collected over the last couple of years, I had so much fun, but I can't stand this neighborhood anymore, and I'm frankly tired of working to support my house. I'm sorry for what you're going through. The only thing I can try to say is that there's always new hope around the bend. Dave's place would probably be great since it's close to the water and therefore not as harsh as inland, which is what you're kids are used to anyway. So sorry, I would if I could!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Sorry to hear you're leaving CT, Amy. Also sorry I can't help. DW has an antipathy for daylilies--it's all I can do to keep the few I have! Hope Dave can take them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sorry to read about your loss amy. Thoughts and prayer coming your way. Dave you're a hero!

Thomaston, CT

Amy, if you send them to me right now, I can plant them, & later send to you----I will be in FL for awhile, but they'll be fine in my garden---if you want my address, just Dmail me--I have plenty of room for them since I dug out a huge rose last week.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

AMY!!!!! I've been asking about you. Sounds like you, working 11 out of 12 days. Daylilies are notoriously very hardy.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Nice to hear from you Amy! Sorry to hear of your loss.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Amy?

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Weird, i replied a couple of times before i went out of town last week, thanking everyone and saying i'd be in Orlando till late Tuesday, but that this (upcoming) weekend would be good for me, David... (i also asked if Louise was anywhere near that part of FL...)
i think my reply disappeared when my membership did (i lost track of time for renewing).
Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again for all the kind words...
Happy Thanksgiving!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Amy, So this weekend is good? (after turkey day)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Amy!!!!! Wish I lived closer, I babysit. But, since I can't, should you need some DL in the future you can always d-mail me.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Yes, David, thanks! And thanks to you, Celeste... i'd only have a couple to save if it weren't for you!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Amy! No, we're about 3 hours + from Orlando. I hope you'll stay in touch with us after you move. We don't want to lose you!
Louise

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.