agapanthus

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

do any you fellow north east gardeners over winter agapanthus ? I am not sure if I should treat it like a house plant and pop it in a window or if it should go into the basement for a dormant time . which do you do ?
laurawege

Warners, NY

I wish I knew. I bought a plant said to be hardy, knowing that most would not believe it, and didn't get it into the ground! It's said to over winter outside in zone five--now what do I do????????????????-------------------------------------Weedy

Cockeysville, MD

laurawege......Do you know what variety you have? I have several varieties here in Maryland z7a that I successfully overwinter in the ground outside in my garden (Ellamae, Dr. Brouwer, Midknight Blue, Headbourne Hybrids, Back in Black). Here is a picture of some of my Agapanthus this past summer (below).

lauarawege and weedyseedy.....If you know the variety, I'd suggest the following:
~ do some research to determine if it's an evergreen variety or deciduous variety
~ if it's evergreen, bring it inside and place it by a window that receives indirect sun
~ if it's one of the hardy deciduous varieties and it wasn't planted in the ground this past summer,
keep it in it's pot outside until the all leaves have died down. Bring it inside before it gets really
cold and store the potted plant in a dark cool place over the winter. I've had luck doing this.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh76/gday3/100_5436.jpg

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

it is the evergreen type , peter pan , thanks for the help I brought it in and placed in a window as you suggested
I hope for flowers this coming year as I repotted it last summer and it grew but didn't flower, hopefull it has forgiven me by now : )

Thomaston, CT

I bought a zone 5 hardy one 2 years ago...it overwintered fine, & had lovely blooms this past summer. It is between my garage & a brick patio, so that might help its hardiness.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.