Still no frost...

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

We still haven't had a frost here and they aren't forecasting one for the next 10 days. The gardenia is still blooming and bulbs are popping up everywhere. Beautiful but a little scary.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Shhhhh!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

shhhhh,
just what I was thinking.... LOL What a beautiful fall!

Most of my orchid collection (about one hundred) are under a plastic covered, lath lean to. I run a heater on low at night. Been delaying hauling them into the plant room 'cause care becomes more complicated.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

If only... If only winter was like this current weather, wouldn't life be grand?

We have had a couple light frosts but not that bad (actually had a scare in the middle of October when I moved in a ton of plants). I still have a bunch to move in but I agree with Maypop - a lot easier to let them outdoors while we can.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

We set up our little plastic greenhouse middle of October as usual. But haven't moved any plants in yet. I agree - best to leave them outside as long as possible (also helps kill bugs!)

Maypop- Do you use a little electric space heater in your lean-to? I use several 100-150 watt light bulbs to keep my greenhouse from freezing during the winter (whenever it gets below 40), but have been debating using a small space heater instead. These have gotten so efficient that it would probably not use any more electricity than the lights do (and I always think my plants get confused by having 24 hour light just when the winter is the coldest) :)

jo

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

It's going to get cold next Wed. Maybe freezing... according to Accuweather. Maybe they will be wrong. Just put plastic on my greenhouse with lights (I may go ahead and put heater out there on a timer)since we are going to Florida ... warmer weather. What kind of orchids???

Jo, I use a plug-in, baseboard type, because the space is long and narrow. I've got a ceramic cube with fan to play with too. Orchids are temperature sensitive, especially the species versions I like to grow, so temps need to stay above 55-60 degrees at night. The heater is set to half it's potential. Temps have been as high as seventy in the morning. The space is monitored for humidity, so I'm juggling temps and relative humidity. I also run a fan for several hours a day. It's all on the deck and attached to our family room wall of windows. I found12' wide indoor/outdoor carpet for a floor.

Good thing we bought the stuff to tent my veggie beds tonight then :) I need to hit the thrift for more sheets...

I am so enjoying the no frost thing!! Yippee, long fall! It's been GORGEOUS!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.