Overnight kill!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Please help me figure out what happened to my beloved Gardenia....I've had it for 2 years and it starte getting some browned leaves here and there...then all of a sudden, the WHOLE PLANT turned to this almost overnight!

What happened?

Thumbnail by robcorreia
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Take the plant out of the pot and look at the roots. My best guess, given the info I have, is that it has root rot. Very easy to overwater a plant in a pot.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thank you. I did look and I think you're right! I never thought you could ever water Gardenias too much!

Oh, yes! And the problem is, we're watering along and the plant starts to wilt. We think it needs more water and so we water more. While all along, the roots were starting to rot from too much water. The outward symptom of wilting is the same for both too little water and too much water. It takes a long time for the bottom third of the soil in that pot to dry out.
The other problem is the saucers under pots. They keep the bottom wet too. Put rocks in the saucer - right up to the top - so the plant never sits in water.

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

:nodding in agreement over rocks in saucer:
Took me years to figure this one out. Took 2 seconds to read it here at DG. Great contribution, ceejaytown! Thanks for the reminder.

~Sharon

Saucers should come with instructions. ^_^

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thank you!!!!

You're very welcome. Glad I could help.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

It's interesting how over and underwatering symptoms can be the same! Thanks again!

But now you understand why that is, right?

Just in case I didn't explain it well:

Plant wilts from underwatering: The roots are fine, but there is no water available to take up to the leaves, so they wilt.

Plant wilts from overwatering: There is plenty of water available, but the roots can't uptake it because they are rotten and no longer working. Leaves wilt.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Got it!

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

With overwatering, there is no air to the roots. They need to breathe. That's why they rot, they're dying from lack of air. They're are some plants that do like "wet feet" but unless they're bog or water plants, drainage is still needed.

~Sharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.