Poppies at Eartheart Gardens in Maine

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

When we visited Eartheart we were entranced by the beauty of Sharon Whitney's gardens and growing fields of Japanese irises mixed with poppies. During the last 14 years we've visited many nurseries of many types of flowers and most seemed to be very unappealing rigid soldier straight lines so this was a rare treat.

I'd love to have an idea or an I.D. on these red poppies. Thank you.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They look like Somniferums aka Lettuce Poppies,aka Bread and Butter poppies.
I had them last year .Mixed from a GF sorry no pix

Thanks, Jo Ann.

Louisville, KY

Arlene;

Those are definitely P. somniferum. They volunteer in my garden . I will save seed for you next year if y ou wish. I do believe I have that particulart JL. My name may be wrong ( I never keeep track of names)...but I believe it is Pink Spritx or pink Dimity.

John

Thank you, John. If I don't get the seeds soon I'll take you up on your kind offer.

Here's a white one - also at Eartheart. Is it the same type? Thanks.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont believe its the same type, Looks more like a Shirleypoppy

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Love the Poppy pictures,looks great. : ) Nice to see when it's sleeting out side.

It was not a wonderful day here either. It's downright nasty outside. No sleet but constant light rain: good for all my recent plantings but not so good for the spirits.

When I said it was sleeting, I was torn as to whether to say snowing. Well it did end up snowing and we have 3" out there now. First snow of the season.

We didn't get any, thankfully, but it still feels like winter outside for the first time this season.

Calgary, Canada

pirl,

The white one is also a Papaver somniferum. They come in many colors abd shapes. Here are some photos os my flowers from the summer.

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff134/blaamand/Poppies%202009/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice selection cowgirl.
Here are mine from this year
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/JustPoppies

cowgirl and Jo Ann - such beautiful poppies! It would be hard to select just a few and I'm so grateful to those who sent me seeds.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Your gunna be in heaven in June

I hope you mean the heaven here on earth!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats the one.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sowed these this year ,amongst the JI's and Lilies

Thumbnail by ge1836

The poppies go so well with the JI's as Eartheart Gardens does so well.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Are you planning a visit soon?

Not exactly "soon", Jo Ann! The snow just started here.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

YUP

I can't wait to see your poppies and if JI is Japanese Iris those too! Make sure you post a picture on here when they bloom! : )

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the longest winter I can remember.Maybe because it has been so cold ,I havnt been out much. Flower albums have been a goodsend from boredome.

Thank goodness for our pictures! In winter they are worth all the time we've put into them! : ) I think winter seems longer every year! Maybe it is a sign we should be somewhere warmer! lol

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll take a little boredom in winter against the heat in warmer clims in summer.

Agreed 100%. I melt in that kind of heat.

That's why most people up here in the north do what Donnie Brooks do and only ' fly south in the winter' Lol that's what I want to do someday.

We're heading to Maine!

Ha ha you must like the cold!

Hardly any difference to me between 25 and 35. :-)

Louisville, KY

I understand that long winter feeling.....My DW says my you are busy (going to the gym , walking Daisy, cleaning bathroom, taking out recyclables, buying a new computer chair and puttting it together , cleaning and sharpening pruners and planting more seeds). All I really want to do is get out there and get my hands in some dirt...

John

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Amen John.I am sick of snow.I was having so much fun during the January thaw we had.
Now its all white again and I cant walk around the garden.Even feeding the birds is an effort thru the snow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.