Tough Guys

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Folks,

Here's something that's interesting. We had some old overgrown stock plants in a greenhouse and discarded them about the middle of September and closed the greenhouse. We happened to go back in there this week for the first time since then. There were several branches of coleus that had fallen off and lay on the ground all that time. No water, no heat, no roots. They even started to grow upright. The house hasn't frozen yet but it's been in the 20's at night outside so it's been in the 30's inside. The humidity has been very high because the house has been closed. When the sun is shining, a closed greenhouse gets to about 140º in the afternoon. The plants are not pretty but they're alive after two months. Go figure.

Don't try this at home.

Chris

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

What a survivor!!! WOW

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Amazing!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great to see!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The urge to live is incredible

Stockholm, Sweden

Wooow - i admire that little creature! I hope it is now safely put in a pot - with good soil, plenty of water and lovable caretaking :-)) It deserves the best!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hope you planted that one up... it's a keeper!!

That's what Swiss Sunshine does to me. I've rooted bits so tiny that they don't overlap a quarter.

I wish we could eat Coleus, so full of life and vigor. Maybe that's why we love them so much.

I have more and more pots of Swiss Sunshine, egads.

Amazing Coleus!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Molamola Swiss Sun was a bonus from RD this spring.
I am over the top loving it and how easy and reliable it is. I have about a dozen cuttings going.
This is SS with caladiums this past july
By August it was all over the place.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

That color combo is amazing GE.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Color is important to me.

Yes. You are a wonderful painter. Your website is stunning. Having been a printer for many years i could really appreciate your techniques. I found it very creative and interesting.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I have one that came up from seed. It is almost black. It was growing in the grass. they need sun to germinate , I don't know how she made it but she did. Yes besides being beautiful, they are very tough.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They sure are,if you referr to coleus.
The peuny cuttings I plant in late May just surge forth when the weather is just right.

Here is my little coleus. It is nearly black in color
and is getting green on the edges of it's leaves.
This is my little tough guy or girl.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Cant wait to see it in a few months.

Thats pretty! I don't think I've seen one like it. You might have a new type there. Dont forget to pinch it so it gets bushy.

I thought about making a cutting out of the top.
Think that will work?? It is really a pretty little plant.
Thank you , all.

yes a tip cutting will be a nice new start.

Great, will do it, I think today is a good day.
Thanks

Good luck with it. The more the merrier! You can never have too many coleus or rocks :-)

I know that's right!! ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.