GH Advice.

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I am just getting to the point of "needing" a greenhouse.. --

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greenhouse-12x7x7-LARGE-Green-Garden-Hot-House-NEW_W0QQitemZ250528730649QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a54ad0e19

Please look at this one and tell me what you think of it as a 'starter' GH.

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greenhouse-12x7x7-LARGE-Green-Garden-Hot-House-NEW_W0QQitemZ320447770469QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9c2cef65

Is the pricing reasonable for the size ? I have never even looked at GH before.. So I'm a little lost.. The size is plenty for me now.. though one day I hope to have a HUGE.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2009 12:30 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

What are you planning to use it for?
Tropicals or Veggie garden or citrus plants?

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Please don't take this wrong,but I think for that price you could do more than that. Take a look at this other thread here on DG.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055601/
Hope this helps. It's a very doable project.

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Tropicman, I want one for my tropicals..

Cats... Thanks for the link. That is a great idea. She called it a temporary GH but I think it might work for quite a while... and it even looks alright, doesn't look like it was "thrown together".

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Info,plastic sheating even the greenhouse variety won;t last long over pvc pipe.
Something about the plastic pipe wears down the plastic,faster in direct sun and a windy location,I learned from experience the hard way.
I use the 9gauge wire you see at the bottom of chain link fencing,to keep the bottom of the chain link from being kicked in.
You can buy it at Lowes or Home depot,
I push one end of the wire in the ground a foot,then make a half circle the size of the greenhouse I want,place another 4ft apart,until you reach the length of the GH you want.
Then run a straight piece a 1/3 way up,length of the greenhouse,one on top then one 1/3 down from the top on the other side,connect the run line pieces to the tunnel pieces with plastic ties to hold them in place.
Run plastic sheeting over from both directions,you will need to sheets so that you'll have closure at both ends of the greenhouse,I use sand bags to hold plastic down on both ends of the greenhouse,and just raise a corner to get in and out.
You can also run 2x4 lumber at the bottoms where the wire goes into the ground,then take 1/4 rope and staple the plastic to the 2x4 to hold the plastic to the lumber.
I use this type of greenhouse in the spring after I plant my tropicals in the ground,if a cold freeze happens to come along.
I also use the oil filled radiator heaters to heat the greenhouse,run 110 volt outside extension cord to the heater,safest heat you can have.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

You can buy a special tape to protect the covers from rubbing through. I know FarmTek has it.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thats good to know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.