Aristolochia fimbriata -White Veined Hardy Dutchman pipevine

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Does anyone on this forum grow this vine? I sure could use some advice.

I have some of these little vines started from seed and they're now in my small greenhouse. At about 7 weeks, there doesn't seem to be too much growth on them. They're in a small 6 cell in ProMix potting soil with a thin layer of vermiculite on top of the mix. The oldest seedling has abt 4 small true leaves and maybe 1 inch high.

Should I transplant them into a larger container and feed with a diluted fert drink or do you think it's just because of the cooling night time temps that is holding down their growth. I've never met one of these vines in person so don't know what to expect in my zone 7b.

My plan is to try and grow these little vines in a hanging basket in high shade outside. Just don't know when I should move them to a larger container.

I'm quite new to growing things from seed, too, although I've gardened on and off most of my life. So this is all a learning curve for me. Also the first time I've had a greenhouse so I'm also learning how plants and seedlings do in that environment.

My thanks for your time and advice.

Mary

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Mary, if they're still that small (1 inch) I would not transplant them. You can easily kill seedlings by moving them to too large a container. Just wait until their roots fill their little cells before you transplant...

robcorreia,

Thank you for your advice. I'll leave them as is until I can see little roots at the bottom slits of the cells.

Do you think there's enough food in the potting mix to sustain the plants while this small? I really suspect they're not growing much because of our night time temps now falling into low 40's in the greenhouse. I'll begin running the heater when needed to try and keep the greenhouse above low 40's during the night. Just want everything in there to overwinter safely.

Mary

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

If there that small still I'd bring them in the house where they'll be a bit warmer. Also one thing with these is they really really don't like to be over watered. I have some growing in baskets and in pots till spring when I will put them in the ground.

mjsponies,

Our house will only have about 40% humidity and I don't have a south facing window, only a window with an eastern view that I could use for their light. Do you think the little plants would do well with so little light? Of course, these are supposed to be grown in high shade so maybe the eastern light would be OK. I just want them to be healthy and stocky, not weak and spindly. I don't really care if they grow much during the winter months but do want to keep them healthy so whichever environment will provide for this is what I will do.

Very new to growing things from seed so please forgive my uninformed questions.

Mary

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hey, no worries, that's how we all learn!

You should check on Plantfiles how hardy these guys are (min temps they tolerate). They WILL need plenty of light, wherever you decide to keep them. And don't overwater! When they are a little bigger you can start feeding them with half-strengh fertilizer. Let us know of your progress!

Mary,
I use a mister on plants that I bring in. I mix fertilizer 1/2 strength in the water also. These are pretty cold tolerant ONCE they are bigger and established. For winter I'd put them in the brightest spot you can but NO direct sun.

My thanks once again for all the input. I do read that they will survive short spells of 20 degrees if somewhat protected so my GH temps should be safe. But, will they develop roots out there with the colder night time temps?

I have two new seedlings, too, from a more recent planting. They just popped up yesterday. I brought them in the house hoping the rest of the seeds will react to warmer night temps and germinate. Maybe leaving these new seedlings in the house and watching how they do will give me a clue as to best spot to mature the seedlings.

mjsponies, thanks for the tip on mixing a light fert with water and spritzing the little plants with it. Sounds like a nice, delicate way to give them a little boost.

I'll let you know how they do.

Mary

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I grow my a. fimbriata as a groundcover in mostly sun as well as in part shade. The 1st time I noticed a seedling w/ leaves about the size of a dime, I removed it and transplanted in a pot, hoping I would speed up the growing process. I killed it. So, if I were u, would keep them in present pots until next spring.

Since then, I've learned to let them be until at least one set of leaves is "regular" size. That seems to work. As to winter protection, I can't offer help since I'm in a warmer climate.

This is a lovely, lovely plant. I'm always amazed when my ground cover is luscious, only to discover it is nothing but sticks 48 hrs later, after caterpillars are done devouring it. This is one plant I don't mind growing as g/c all over the place.

vossner,

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experiences with this little plant. If you can grow it in mostly sun in Texas, it is indeed a tough little guy once established. This helps me to know I can allow some sun exposure here in central Arkansas. I do hope I can get these established in my garden as I want to use them as a host plant for the butterflies. I would love to see a planting of them reduced to sticks (hoping of course that they rebound :-).

I've not ever seen one of these plants except in photos but I'm guessing a mature leaf would be maybe 4 inches across? If that is a close assumption, then my little seedlings have a long way to go. The largest leaf is less than the size of a dime and just barely shows the veining common to these plants. I will leave them in their little six cell container until spring. It looks like maybe a tiny bulb is forming at the base of the seedlings. I'm hoping they're just working on growing roots right now. As long as there is green in the tops, it is good :-)

Did you start your plants with seed?

A very kind and generous Texas gardener shared her bounty of seed with me or I wouldn't even have had this chance to try and get them established so I'm very grateful to everyone for the help. I've found it very rewarding to grow plants for a purpose other than just for the pretty blooms. My goal is to have my small garden filled with host and nectar plants for the butterflies and hummingbirds and to be able to share seeds and cuttings with other new wildlife gardeners.

Mary

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

mary, I bought 1 plant yrs ago. It took about 3 yrs for the cats to discover it but these days they devour often. I keep forgetting to take a pic of the sticks. The devastation is quite a sight, yet the plant recovers quickly and in 2 weeks it looks presentable. People always give me a strange look if I show them the patch of sticks. I'm delighted b/c I know there is "cat action" going on, but if the viewer is not into butterflies, etc. the patch is just a pitiful mess. I call this one of those intimate moments between a gardener and Mother Nature.

I can't say I have seen seeds in my plants but I know they exist and germinate quickly as evidenced by how it's spreading. As to leaf size, in my garden, mature leaves are no larger than 2.5 - 3" in dia.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/258027/

PS: One time I went plant shopping w/ a non-gardener. We are walking past vines and she gasps at what she sees, an a. fimbriata covered in cats. She is horrified and can't understand why a reputable nursery carries infested plants like that one. I gasp, absolutely thrilled about it. I grab the plant and put it in my wagon. I wished I had been able to photograph her face. Simply precious!

sounds like me snagging monarch cats off the milkweed plants at a "big box" store cause the guy working there was getting ready to squash them.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

lmao that is too funny.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.