Help new amaryllis Mom knows nothing

Pearl River, LA

My daughter made and investment in amaryllis bulbs for me. Now I need to know what to do. I am in zone 8. The nursery man said to plant outside six inches deep for this area. Butttt they are already putting on stems and buds in their bags. Can I plant them to their collar and leave them outside or do I need to plant them and baby them inside let them bloom and then plant in spring???? Helppppp shirleyt

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Plant them inside with about 1/4 th of the bulb exposed.Enjoy the blooms and then plant them outside this spring.We are in about the same zone and they are hardy here.If you plant them out now a frost might kill the bloom stalks.Use a fast draining mix and water them well when you plant.Then let dry between waterings.

Pearl River, LA

I have a white one and a pink and white one that I have had for years. They very rarely bloom for me. They go and come look good but just do not bloom every year. I have the same problem with lily of the nile ginger andLouisiana Iris. I guess I need to find out what my soil is lacking. I know they get enough water and sun. I just have not been diligent in the yard for the past few years. shirleyt

Pearl River, LA

I planted the bulbs as instructed and have been rewarded with these beauties. This is my favorite.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 12:07 AM

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

here is another one . Others are doing nicely at a slower rate.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

one more it was not as nice. Shirley t

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

This is how I started them off as instructed. It is now too cold outside at night for them to be out. My biggest problem has been keeping the cat out of them. It took some sushing and no no to accomplish that. shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.