Anyone else find themselves going in color waves?

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Last season I was drawn to blues and purples mostly and now planning for next year (and the limited space I have) I just noticed that I'm stopping on reds more and more.

Still not wooed by any yellows.

Anyone else finding themselves afflicted with color waves?

Raleigh, NC

oh yes! absolutely!

when sis gave me her first Cooley's catalogue, I was wowed by the pinks. ordered a collection with several nice pinks. planted some of the "yucky" photo-ed ones around back and sides of the house where I couldnt' see them much.

you guessed it. I fell head over heels for reds, and didn't like the pinks at all. the next year it was purples, then blacks, then blues, then whites, then redviolets (raspberry), then creams, then ....have recently been collecting browns. But am now on nice blended colors. and still looking for a pink I like!

Raleigh, NC

Bet you will either fall for yellows as a contrast color, or because soft yellow is really a great foil for other hot colors before you really get into them.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't ever seem to change. I love the blues, blacks and purples. Although I really do like the broken color ones from Zebra gardens. I don't care much for the lighter ones, the pinks, whites or yellows. Never did, maybe(?) never will.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I went through different color stages over the years and then finally realized I like to many to not have some of everything although I do like them seperated out some in the yard or beds.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Bonjon, I'm with you on the pinks. ; )

Pollyk - the broken-Zebra Gardens ones were catching my eye more this year. Guess I'm beginning to appreciate them and their contrast with the other iris. Now to find room... !!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The broken color ones grew on me, too. At first I didn't care for them.

South Hamilton, MA

They can be quite pretty, but like anything else with 'spots' they can be very ugly. DH has a couple miniature tall irises which are broken color, but not as pretty has some of the TB I've seen.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Right you are Lucy.

The first time I bought bearded irises to sell in my at home nursery, I purchased them wholesale from Zebra Gardens. I was selling to landscapers, not the general public. I had purchased 50, I think, and no one bought them. Until they bloomed, and then one man took the whole group. They were all TBs. I never did get to see some of them bloom, and I'm pretty much getting away from my at home nursery, so I guess I need more for my own garden.

South Hamilton, MA

Bloom does sell.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I love blues without fail=) I am also a huge orange fan! The only two things I'm not a fan of are the ones with the contrasting color outlining the edges of the bloom and the color combo of red/rust and yellow/mustard.

I love the broken colors--except the color combo above:lol:

Raleigh, NC

I'm with the rest of y'all on broken colors. didn't much like the photos at all.

Until I saw Millenium Falcon in bloom in a garden. Woozer!

Of course, meeting the Kasperek's at nationals this year explained all the zany colors a lot! LOL

dmac, I've got to tell you my story of a contrasting color rimmed iris -
was in Keith Keppel's seedling bed. just losing my mind with some of the beauties he had there. He came striding past, heading toward the house, and asked what I thought of them.

I pointed to one that was like midnight blue velvet, with a contrasting rim of what looked like metallic silver, as thin as a thread. It looked like a ball gown fit for a princess. Said to him, "that's the most beautiful iris I've even seen."

He proceeded to say, "oh, no, the form is bad, and the ..." He explained so fast I didn't catch all the things wrong with it as he went on to rip the bloom apart as he "taught", and then ripped it out of the ground and said, "this one is compost."

I was in TEARS, it had been so pretty. Don't think I have commented on anyone's seedings since then, not even in judges' training. and yes, now I realize, it had horrible form....darn it all. two years later, I get it.

but that dark velvet, with the silver thread, that l shall remember much longer.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I have done that too with ones I thought were outstanding in beauty and later after they fell to the waysode and no one purchased anymore or very few began to see the faults of the plant itself rather than just the bloom. It is hard to judge the whole plant when the blossom is so nice or the unusual coloring. I don't think I could be a judge.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.