MG pics from Japan

szarvas, Hungary

we are comming from there.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1031605/#new

I bought this very very clear variety from Noriko in Japan..
Names: Reflexion of Light it is a really "white spirit".

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Yes Becky, is a picture of KU ( Kyushu University Japan )

I guess the age of the plantation is 3.5 or 4 months (2 months = first flower). But what's going on later when the vines have reached the top of the guardians?

Here, if I did not cut one time or another that quickly becomes out of control
They use a growth retardant?
At my plants amounted to 14 foots and my tutors are 8
How slow growth - to cut? when ?

Even in Kyushu they are close to overflowing!

Thumbnail by dany12
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Dany - I love that photo above my post! I would love to work or attend a school like that! What a neat program studying MGs! And their set-up is truly perfect! Thanks for sharing all the photos! I love seeing what the university is doing! :-) So coooool!

Your white bloom is really pretty! Is it a large flower?

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

that gives me an idea I think I will use laundry line cord and make myself some kind of setup so that I can use them for a hedge

Dunmor, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, that's pretty!

Mona - Make sure the clothes line cord is heavy duty. The vines can become very heavy if you have a lot of them growing together. Though I would honestly seperate them apart if possible so that you know what cultivar each vine is when you go to collect seeds. Believe me ... if you don't plan for seed collecting in advance, then you will be kicking yourself at the end of the growing season! LOL!

I think KU uses wire or metal poles for their vines. It is a very elaborate set-up from close-ups that I have seen. They have an irrigation system tied into it as well.

I guess hitting the lotto would make such things possible for us private gardeners? :-)

szarvas, Hungary

Mona something like that ,but you needed a helicopter to make the hand pollination LOL

In Japan it is very fashionable, they call it a green curtain. They are found near compagnies, schools and public places .It turns CO2 into oxygen.

Thumbnail by dany12

that looks really neat

I was wondering how many hours of sun do they really need to bloom is it better with all day sun or part shade since some of mine grew amazing but didnt bloom while others bloomed like crazy was it the lack of sun maybe

and the one plant I brought in is growing like crazy and doing well hoping it will bloom soon,

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Dany, It is fashionable,a green curtain and turning CO2 into O2. Now I feel better. I need every excuse I can find to grow so many vines. lol!

Amen to that, Karen! LOL!

Mona - I know my I. nils do like sun. I find though that whether they get sun all day or just sun part of the day, they will bloom abundantly with fertilizer. Mine bloomed and bloomed when I used Bloom Booster. Of course, they probably do well with 9-3-6 fertilizer too! :-)

szarvas, Hungary

There is talk of a new mutation in the MG family, which would have appeared this summer in Japan - MYSTERY!
Here are the fields of MG today, I'm sure there are still some seeds.

Wait, do not fire!

Thumbnail by dany12

I am positive they missed a few seed lets go get them hahahahahah

well as soon as the new one appears please post the picture cant wait to see it

LOL! about the look on that cat's face! Too funny! You don't suppose he ate them all thinking they were catnip, do you? LOL!

I envy the setup that the university has there! What a dream garden! :-) Another very interesting photo, Dany! Thanks for sharing all of them. I find it quite fascinating how the Japanese grow these vines! :-)

I wonder when the world will find out what the Mystery vines/blooms look like?

getting impatient already hahahhahahah

hope its good one who knows maybe they splised the genes and made one twice as big that would be amazing or a color never seen before

szarvas, Hungary

I find this one in Japan , it an Higesaki with a little +

I hope that the leaves are hers!

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

The same seller sells 2 purpureas which for me were one.
A very clear blue pink throat.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

And that one who is white ivory with pink throat.

Thumbnail by dany12
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Those are beautiful Dany.

Dany - VERY interesting leaves on that first Higesaki. Did you figure out if that was it's actual leaves or were the leaves from a different vine? I love the the light blue I. purpurea with the pink throat! NICE!!!!

szarvas, Hungary

True,Becky, I hope that the seller is honest.Logically photo shows the flower and leaves and logically that is what I hope to buy. Finally I hope!

I am looking desperately for sharing this cultivar dating 2 years. A track?
I know this is a jewel of Emma, but is not sure she still has some seeds.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Yahoo.jp they sell on an exhibition catalog of MG. ($ 10)

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Other pic.

Thumbnail by dany12

wow you really inspire people, I can feel your excitment when ever you speak of JMGs

szarvas, Hungary

An other pic.

Thumbnail by dany12

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7308578

Dany, The vine I see is a i purpurea. In this picture though I also see a seed pod on the right and it is not reflexed downward like a purpurea. I can only see half of the pod though so I`m not certain if that is a i nil seedpod or a i purpurea seedpod. It looks like a very unusual not typical ipomoea purpurea and it is a very pretty vine. I see what may be slight variegation on the leaves too.

This one is beautiful! There is one way to find out and that is grow them! I hope you get those leaves you want.

Karen

This message was edited Nov 26, 2009 12:55 PM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

me too:) very nice photos, Dany..

its amazing what they have done using a wild flower

szarvas, Hungary

This spring I propose a contest.
How about trying to produce very large flowers on plants in containers as the Japanese exhibitions.

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/dany12_1236790010_524.jpg
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/dany12_1249964600_114.jpg
This requires creating conditions:
1. - Cultivar
2. - Mixing of soil - the YODO
3. - Cutting - pruning. (we will need the advice of Joseph)
4. - Fertilizers

Here the back room of an exhibition, not competition - incredible!

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

1. - a good cultivar .
All cultivars of MG are not able of producing XXL flowers.
But everyone has already cultivated varieties that even under ordinary conditions produced large flowers.
I was thinking: Brown Silk, Kohkan, Asagiri, Fuji Musume, Fuji no Momo, China Doll, Dawn Spring and all the Heian ....
Here a NOID in 2009 that I'm sure,under good conditions will give large flowers.

Thumbnail by dany12

Everybody eat your wheaties and study every page you can find.

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/Introduction/htmls/37.html

A beautiful pink Dany.
Love the Rose/Choc silk blooming vines,
the blooms are huge. I grew Rose Silk in 07 and
the blooms were over 5 and 1/2 inches across in a 5 inch pot . I missed growing them this season so will grow them again
next yr.

a wonderful link. I have it saved and will study it.

I am going to spend time on that link it looks really interesting

Dany - What a neat book! Love the photos and links, too! Thanks for posting those photos and links! Very cool! :-)

Karen - An interesting link you posted too! Thanks!

szarvas, Hungary

Thanks, everyone.
2. - Mixing of soil - the YODO as they call it in Japan.

POROSITY - DRAINAGE

Our goal is this:

Thumbnail by dany12

seed mix soil? perlite? sand? pebbles? grains of rice? what to use?

szarvas, Hungary

Here is a formula recommended in Japan.
But hard to understand!

Sat 赤玉 25%
Mulch 40%
Sand 2 ~ 3mm 17%
Vermiculite 8%
Coal-kun Gara fir 10%
燐肥 熔成 base fertilizer 10 to l 30g
Fertilizer 30g

Dany - That is some very healthy looking root growth in that photo. I have a question about the ratio for potting mix ...

What is "Sat"?

The rest I can figure out:

Sat (???) 25%
Mulch 40%
Sand 17%
Vermiculite 8%
Coal-kun Gara fir (Charcoal, probably) 10%

Wonder if it could be soil at top? Don't the Japanese say it
differently than we? We would say top soil. Just fun to
speculate on what it might be.

OK 赤玉 tranaslates to "red ball" and there is a product sold on yahoo Japan called 赤玉 It has those characters on the package. It might be ground clay?

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x102448782&sl=ja&tl=en

Edited to add this. Morning glories like rich loam soil which is well-drained soil, containing clay, sand, fine particles of rocks like silt, and a significant amount of decomposed organic matter(which sounds a lot like the Japanese recommendations Dany has posted)

Edited further to avoid cluttering Dany`s thread:

I think that is volcanic rock they refer to as 赤玉 "red ball". Here is some in English.

http://www.thelandscapeshop.com/RockPebbles/Volcanic_Rock.htm

Dany, I`m glad you posted that because it is great to see a exact recipe for what makes a ideal potting mix.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 7:04 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.