Compassion for Handicapped Gardeners #8

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The last thread was up to 105 or so. I like to keep it at 100 or so tops. Too long for those on dial up to access if it get that long.

Scraps is working on fun fur scarves and hats. Then she spent the day in the ER with a friend.

Vickie has a broken wrist and sprained ankle so she is kind of sidelined. She has a friend, Vonne & one of her DDs from TX will stay with her for a few weeks.

Katie is thru working on the brown bagging in at least part of her house. Thanks, Tony, for helping her so much.

I know I'm missing some family members but my brain is going numb. So I'll just ~~~ to everyone. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

There's me, with my DD#2 at home and #1 at college and my beloved darling dear wonderful husband and my step-son (age 26) all squeezed into this tiny run-down house. DH got a promotion with a raise recently. It means more expenses (taxes, dress clothes for DH for work, dry cleaning, etc.) but it also means we can pay off some bills and even start giving to causes which need it!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, Thanks leaflady for starting the new thread for us. I am so glad not to be on dial up now but I know how slow it is so thanks. My friend is better but had to have an out patient procedure done. Leaf, I agree that all that canning you do is a talent and also alot of hard work. So don't sell yourself short as Vickie said. We all have to have different talents or they would not be special. I am a jack of all trades but I am not exceptional at any of them. I just like to try stuff and see if I can do it. Like wood carving, as an example, it just looked like something I could do if I tried it and I did ok at it but it is messy with all the wood shavings and sawdust but I had to try it. I did several things and got bored but will play with it again one day when I can get outside with it. I am so curious about stuff like that, mom always said curiosity killed the cat but I like to jump in and try stuff. I want to learn to knit and will eventually have to take lessons or find someone to show me. I think if I can crochet I should be able to knit but have never known anyone who did it so could not talk them into showing me how. I learn better by seeing it done and not just reading about it. I taught myself how to crochet when I was 17 but had never watched anyone do it so it was way too loose but as soon as I saw someone else do it a little while it all fell into place in my mind and then I just improved some over the years. However, I am not great with the directions so I do alot of simple stuff compared to some people's work. Well, I need to get the dishes in dishwasher, which I am loving by the way. I went without one for 20 years. man it is nice to stick them in there and walk away. I am so proud of it. Good evening everyone. Scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

scraps, you must be exceptional at crocheting or no one would buy your things, nau na nau na nau nau! We're a talented group, with musicians,artists,craft workers,food savers and gardeners, writers. Seed stealing is an art form too.Yes Jim your garden creations are art form too. specially that Arkansas razorback hog.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Carrie & Cando I'm glad you reminded me of your presence in the family.

I got to check out toys at the store today to see if they work. All are battery operated so there is a lot of battery changing or just putting them in in the first place, trying to figure out what they do and how to get them to do it, etc. Then label as WORKS and initial it or put it in the free box or in the garbage. Another lady came back and helped because there were so many piled up. The other cleaning lady was there today so she cleaned them up really well as we got them working. There were some nice toys in that box. We liked the ones that played little kids tunes. Had some fun while working. We told the supervisor we both wanted a change in positions/jobs. LOL.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Leaflady, That sounds like alot of fun and a good excuse to play with the toys. I love kids toys so at Christmas and Birthdays I like to get in the floor and play with the kids. It is getting harder to get up from the floor though. So on my stepgrand sons Birthday we had to get the toys up on the table and play. What a bummer. I love getting to play and act like a kid with the grands but I hate getting old and painful. It takes some of the fun away. Since my Mom is in the nursing home and we recently went through her belongings while trying to empty our shed, I found alot of stuffed animals that she had picked up at Salvation Army and washed for the kids. Now they need to be rewashed because they are dusty smelling but we found a precious musical bear with angels wings that sings Jesus loves me. It was so pretty. Sometimes people get rid of the most precious toys at her Salvation Army. Well, I must get my day going. Love you guys. Have a great day.

ps has anyone heard from BirdieBlue I miss her and have tried to call her several times and cannot reach her. I fear she may be sick and in hospital so say a Prayer for her if you will that she will be back soon regardless of the reason. Love and Prayers to you all. Scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

scraps, i got a d-mail from Sheri today. Her computer is down but should get a new one this week.She's ok.

I can't beleive a lot of things that come thru Salvation Army.I've seen some afghans that were beautiful and someone spent a lot of time making. These would do well to go to nursing homes. older people love them.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, Sheri called me and told me about her computer being down. I was afraid she was in the hospital or something. I knew something was not right for her not to be posting some or at least sending a Dmail.
Vickie there is not a Salvation Army real close to me but a Goodwill on the way to my mom's nursing home has great stuff. I have not been since Mike got laid off because I spend way too much on the kids there and he fusses about it. So I have been on withdrawals from it. I do not think it would be any harder to get off my meds as it is not to shop at goodwill. I love that store. I have found the most awesome clothes for my grandkids there. My oldest DD said her wardrobe is lacking and that she was going to send me money to go there. You would not believe the new clothes with tags still on that the rich people send there. She teaches and does not have time to do much shopping so I always pick stuff up for her. I bought her some tops the other day but did not get the goodwill price on them. It is going to be a beautiful day here and my back hurts so bad I can not get out and rake or tend flowers and it really is a bummer. Hope everyone has a nice day. scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL Steph, Good Will is just as good as SA. I don't have Good Will here.
We do have a thrift store run by the Methodist Church. That always has high end things there. I always check them out before Christmas for Angels to add to my collection.
I'm always picking up clothes for family and friends there if i see somethng i know they'll love.
Carrie, Has your living room turned into a swimming pool yet? Can't beleive all the rain you're getting.
I've been meaning to congratulate you on your DH,s raise. Did'nt know anyone was still getting raises. He must be good at what he does.

Leaf, Are you still playing with toys? If they have any board games, You'll have to check them out too.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I need some of that compassion for worn out, olde feeling gardeners today. Hubs and I dug 3 tubs of bulbs today from the old houseplace. They have already moved the house to its new location and we had some blocks and trash to be picked up also so it was a busy day. We did not get around to replanting the bulbs in their new homes because it started raining so we will have to do that in the next few days. I had no idea how much the bulbs had multiplied since they were originally planted years ago. I had alot of red hardy amaryllis( badly misspelled I am sure) bulbs and I did not have very many 20 years ago when I moved there. my FIL is going to bring his dozer over and clear the place off flat soon. He is being rather ornery about wanting to get it done just because he knows how much those olde flowers mean to me. But the hubs told him to wait a day or 3 and we would try to get the most of them moved. I have tons of ditch lillies there and I hope when he dozers them over it makes a field full of them and he cannot ever get rid of them.LOL. that will show him to rush me. I would dig them all up eventually if he gave me some time. But you cannot get rid of those orange daylillies. I love them so I hope I get to drive by for years and laugh because they are just a smiling at me. Sorry I just got a burr in my tail when he told me he was going to flatten the place. Anyway that is what is going on in my neck of the woods today. Hope you all have a good evening. LOve and Prayers, scraps

Midland City, AL

Glad to hear Sheri is okay. We were worried about her.

I’m tapering off the extra painkiller from the dentist and getting back to my normal level of goofiness. I can be trusted with power tools again and the car insurance check finally came through so I am back on the living room remodel. Hope to have it finished before Thanksgiving.

Kay worked neatening things up outside despite the fact it is cool and rainy. We received a call from a local church today offering us food for Thanksgiving. Kay has taken it in her head that if this place looks like we need that level of assistance, it must look really bad. Since she is finishing up half done projects, I’ve decided not to tell her they just automatically assumed a physically challenged couple would be having problems making ends meet. Been wanting her to put the finishing touches on some of those outdoor projects for a while. I would be satisfied if she had no more than 5 projects going at once. LOL. W-a-a-ay too many irons in the fire.

Nadine’s school had that new program to discourage teenage pregnancy. The students had to care an electronic "baby" for a week. Looked and cried realistically, weighed as much as a normal baby and kept a record of the care it received. They also had to carry around a diaper bag with a bag of sugar in it all day to simulate what carrying one of those around, in addition to the baby would be like. They were graded on how well they cared for their infant. Anyway, when I took Nadi to the Mission store to get clothes for her “baby”, I discovered what a cool place they are for kid’s clothes. I started buying stuff for my grandsons there now. That way their mother doesn’t get upset because they stained or tore their “in town” clothes sliding down the bank to the creek or whatever messy thing they find to get into. It is rough and tumble stuff I’m looking for, but I’ve come on some real finds.

Blessings. (Jim).

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone,The hubs and I got out today and planted a long row of bulbs. He dug the trench and I put the bulbs in the ground. I had to get on my knees a while because my back was hurting so bad, even after 2 pain pills. When my knees started hurting I got my old rolling stool and worked from it a while. I put some Iris bulbs to the front and red hardy amaryllis in back and I found some small bulbs that were either buttercups or baby amaryllis bulbs. Then I moved and divided a huge clump of criniums. The amarylis bulbs are huge but oh man the criniums are even larger. I hope the flowers survive because I almost did not.LOL. There may be some ditch lillies mixed in because they were everywhere at the old house. The hubs wants to know how many more we are going to HAVE to move. I hope he does not kill me but I have another long row of iris and daylillies yet to be moved. It will not break my heart to lose those so I waited on them. It would have broken for sure to lose my amarylis bulbs though. My mom let me dig those up 20 years ago from a property she was selling. They have multiplied so much I think our row was about 50 foot long and it was only about 20 foot long at the old house but I did not plant but a single row of them so they can multiply again. I cannot wait for them to bloom again now. It will make the back pain worth it.

Jim, that is too funny about kay out working cleaning up the property because the church offered food. You were right about the church offering to the disabled. Our church donates to the disabled, shut ins and the elderly. You could harass her a little that it was to the elderly.LOL. Of course, you better be ready to run. About the mission store bargains, I also buy for the grandkids. They are my oldest (28)DD's step children but I love them dearly. I keep some on hand because like you say out in the country they always get dirty. Last visit they washed my golfcart for me and got rather muddy and she would not let them ride home without a change of clothes. The waterhose took the place of a shower but they needed dry clothes. However, they loved getting to wash my ride. That was after the mudriding. They love the golf cart more than me I think but we have loads of fun. If a few clothes will keep us out of trouble with the grownups then we must have extras. Well, I need to get hosed off myself. However it is a little chilly out tonight so I think I will shower instead. I was too tired when I first came inside. Have a good evening. scraps

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I work in a thrift shop and we do get some wonderful items. I have more clothes, shoes, purses, household appliances, etc. than I have ever had in my life. And for pennies on the dollar.

Scraps, I'm so thankful you got all the bulbs. Don't worry too much about the ditch lilies. They are true survivors. If you can just get a few starts you will have them back in no time

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Scraps, i can garantee you will get your revenge. I've disturbed them before and they multiply twice as much. I had a small yellow DL and just did'nt like it so i dug it up and gave it away three times before i got all of it.
You are giving me an itch to check out the SA and thrift store.

Will have a lady come clean my house the saturday after Thanksgiving. If she don't open the door and turn around and leave.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Hey Steph, have you ever noticed if your hardy Amaryllis has a scent? I was wondering if it is the same as what my grandmother called St. Joe’s lily. You will be beautifully rewarded for your work come spring. Those are hard to come by on the market; you could try convincing your DH of their potential monetary value. I've found men feel better about doing work when money is somehow involved. .

It is a good thing Jim didn’t think of the Thanksgiving dinner for old ladies comment. I would hate to have to move his beloved Sleep Number bed out to the barn. It is rather heavy and it is very cool at night. He might have gotten cold out there with only Tater the dog to keep him warm.

I have the typical orange ditch lilies rescued from an old homestead. I had to laugh because one year that was the plant everyone who came here commented on. It looked like something new and exotic with the blooms poking through the foliage of variegated privet. (I must have missed a few when I planted the privet.) With all the unusual plants blooming, it seemed so ironic that privet and ditch lilies stole the show. LOL.

Break over. Back to work. Have a good day, everyone. *Kay*

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I do like ditch lilies but if one isn't careful they will take over your yarden. There are other daylilies which are almost as invasive so don't feel they have kept that family trait all to themselves.

Today has been a tired one even tho it has been a good one in some ways. I actually got down into the large bathtub for a nice soak in lavender salts water. Then I went to town to see a live theater child's play at the local community college courtisy one of my foster granddaughters who is a student in that area of study. The play is called Piglet Bland. It is based on Beatrix Potter's book by that name. One the way to the play I stopped at the lone farmer left in the parking lot and bought 4 pie pumpkins and 2 butternut squash for a dollar each. I thought about his last head of cabbage but remembered that I had to throw out much of the last head of cabbage I had. And it was much smaller than his.

I don't know why, but Saturdays are always hard for me. I'm tired from a long day on my feet at the store and cafe'. It's a short day at the store but I get up about the same time and just manage to get a task or 2 done before getting to the store. Then I stop at home to change at least my top, let the dogs out for a potty break, eat something substantial before going to the cafe' for 3 or more hours of volunteer work for people I love & who love me. I work the steam table and Texas toast griddle, help put away dishes(thankfully the dinnerware there is melamine not ceramic or glass), and help with clean up after we close. So I am on my feet about the same amount of hours as a long day at the store on M & W. But the whole day of activity is much longer.

One of my biggest problems is that I don't eat on schedule or take my meds on schedule like I do the rest of the week. Or at least on my work days. I don't sit down at noon like I do at work on M,W, & F. I fail to take my noon meds like I do at work and usually on my days off- T & T. It doesn't take long for the day to go sour. Why do we do things like that to ourselves on a regular basis? I had a good smoothie for breakfast, but lunch was only a few on the run mouthsful of imatation lobster and I don't remember what else. How about that for a substantial noon meal?lol When I was in town I ate a few gingersnaps-I always have a bag of them on the passenger seat beside me. When I got home about 3:30 I made a good meal of the lean beef patty I brought home from the cafe' last night, 1/2 of the potatoes and gravy and grn. beans. I think I am finally where I need to be on my daily meds. lol

My right bicep is beginning to ache at times and sometimes the remaining upper arms muscles are unhappy because they have to carry more of the load. I don't know if I told over here about my right bicep coming loose at the shoulder and falling down into the area just above the elbow last Saturday. There was too much muscle for the faschia to hold so it ruptued letting the muscle spill out into the surrounding area. Of course there has been a lot of bleeding into the tissue that looks like a huge bruise but it is looking better every day. I didn't even know when it happened. The doctor says there is nothing to be done about it because at my age it probably won't stay fixed. In fact it is not often successful over the long term in much younger people. It's called a PopEye muscle.

Jim, those pregnancy programs have proven to be rather effective. Will she and the boys in her grade have to wear the late term pregnancy apron? It has also proven effective. I think in the end they have to watch a film about labor & delivery complete with sound. I have heard they choose a long tiring and painful labor and delivery tho not n real time. Sort of like the clips on I Can't Believe I Was Pregnant on TLC.

I think it is time for bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Midland City, AL

I did several tours of duty in Asia and developed a taste for Asian food. Ditch lilies don’t have an opportunity to get out of control here because I eat them. They are a traditional ingredient in one of my favorite dishes, Hot & Sour Soup.

It was a Home Economics class, in Nadine’s case, so only dealt with child care. But, Nadi said there was a program like you are talking about at her school as part of the sex education class. She told me the school’s first string quarterback was teased mercilessly because he got queasy watching the child birth movie and had to leave the room quickly.

We were once talking about the hardest thing we had ever been through at a men’s prayer meeting. It came around to a man who did two tours in Vietnam, had a boat sink while he was aboard, lost several toes to a shark attack and was on an off-shore oil rig when it caught fire. He talked about being in the labor room when his youngest was born. LOL.

Take care of yourself. That thing with the muscle in the arm sounds rough. Maybe, a sign your pushing yourself too hard? (Jim)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yes, Jim, one article I read did say something about heavy lifting without proper warmups. Honestly, how many homemakers stop to warm up before moving or lifting something heavy?LOL It also said this is common in the older population who have had rotator cuff tears as well as younger people who do certain exercises and who don't warmup properly before sessions of heavy weight lifting. I've had both rotator cuffs torn and not repaired so this is not uncommon. Just never happened to me. Do a google on herniated bicep muscle aka Popeye muscle.

I learned some years ago that daylilies are a survival food if that is how one chooses to look at them. That is one reason I've raised so many here in the yarden. Jack never really learned to like the tubers but I find them quite tasty. However I have a hard time making myself use them for food because I love the blooms. I guess I should plant an area and just make myself think of them as a veggie. The greens make a good pot green when cooked with spinach, young tender horseradish greens, etc. I don't care for them that much as a salad green. I've heard the blooms are also good but think they are too pretty for that. However if I was really needing food I wouldn't hesitate to eat them because I know they are safe.

Kay, I can see why the combination of the lilies and privit caused so many comments. I do hope you left the lilies. Just for the unusual effect. LOL

Went down for prayer at church this morning. I feel a change in my spine already. GOD is so good. It's my own fault I have gone thru this much with my back as I knew when I fell last winter and broke my wrist that I had tilted my pelvic frame. It was really stupid of me to wait so long to seek diagnosis. It may have been possible to prevent the scoliosis from even starting if I had.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Leaf, you need to slow down and take care of yourself. You work too hard. I agree with you about the daylillies I think they are too pretty to eat but now that I know they are good for survival I will never go hungry around here. I will just eat my ditch lillies. Have a good night everyone. scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

leaf, I agree-You work too hard. But then i hear some pots calling the kettle black.You all work too hard.
As to eating my daylillys. Should food get scarce here. I have no doubt but that the wildlife would beat me too them. Which reminds me. We should have some venison within the week.
Vickie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Vickie, I echo the 'pot calling the kettle black' feeling. I have often felt like saying that but refrained because I didn't want to cause a fuss. Some people get bent out of shape so easily. Including myself sometimes. I do no more than I feel I absolutely have to do to keep up with life around here. A suppliment to my SS has to be earned to keep my head above water financially. I do need some social life now and then and the cafe' on Friday evenings is both that and time spent with loved ones doing something I love doing. Put me in a kitchen and I am wonderfully happy. I'll even gladly wash dishes for someone else. Yes, I pay the price on Sat. but it must be worth it to me or I wouldn't keep doing it.

I also love daylilies because they are so easy to care for. I don't have the time or energy/strength to fuss with plants that require a lot of upkeep.

GOD bless and keep each of you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving day.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Bless you Leaf, I know you'd be miserable if you were'nt doing something every moment.But slow people like me would burn out in a day if we tried to keep up with you.
Anytime you have the urge to wash dishes, come on south to my house. LOL
Adding my Happy Thanksgiving wishes.
Vickie

Midland City, AL

I promise I will not eat the daylilies growing under the privet. I do want to taste the roots and young leaves, just for the experience.

“So, you can do _______ by exerting great effort and self discipline, but does that mean you should do _______?” That is a question always being debated at Amargia. Mostly an issue between the sensory impaired and the mobility impaired. V.I.’s especially tend to push hard. People talk about the advances made in society by the blind and deaf over the last few decades. Sometimes, I think they have just replaced one stereotype with another. The image of the helpless, dependent blind person has been replaced by a blind superman sort of image. It is like today’s blind people feel they have to live up to that new image to hold the ground they have gained. (I’m not picking on blind people here, Susan and Kay, they are just the most dramatic and obvious example. And, it gives us mobility impaired/chronic pain types a little emotional distance so we can more easily see the whole picture.) We, as a society, seem to have gone from not expecting much from disabled people to expecting too much.

What a blind person will be able to do depends on factors that have nothing to do with the eyes. At what age did they lose their sight? How quickly did it happen? Are there other factors involved? (E.g. Diabetes and Age related degeneration are the most common causes of visual loss.) What were a person’s life experiences before they lost their vision?

The vast majority of V.I.’s could do themselves serious damage if they tried what Kay or Jenny do everyday because they don’t have Kay’s or Jen’s background experiences.
1) Grew up on working farms.
2) Visually impaired from childhood.
3) Educationally “mainstreamed” (Although, I don’t think that term actually existed in Kay’s time.)
4) Raised in “roughneck” families where women were expected to have all the skills to be independent because the men were away so much of the time.
5) Both are by nature high energy, and NEED to release that nervous energy in some constructive way for their own psychological and physical health. .
….and, so forth.

This issue, like most things, seems to be a matter of finding a personal balance point. I don’t know how it is for others, but I depend on trusted friends to keep me on point. After so many years of being friends, Kay and I have developed our own peculiar ways of letting one another know some adjustment is in order. I sing “Dust in the Wind” by Kansas to let her know I think she is pushing to hard. (Not sure if she slows down because she knows I’m right or to just get me to stop singing. LOL.) Kay can and does bluntly tell me to get off my lazy backside and stop feeling sorry for myself. She tells me, “You need to try to DO something to improve your situation.” I have just the opposite problem from most of you on this thread. If you have a tendency to overdo, you need a concerned, lazy friend to keep you in balance. See, we have our uses. :-)

I am very thankful for my workaholic friends who inspire me and help keep me in balance. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone. (Jim)

Midland City, AL

It occurred to me not everyone listens to soft rock and might not understand the reference.
Words to “Dust in the Wind”
http://www.spynets.com/lyrics/lyrics_details.php?ID=315
Photo: Glad with "ditch lilies" in background

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE.

Jim, you have said what I have been thinking and feeling for years. Let each person do the best they can under their own circumstances with what GOD has given them.

I'm slow too. Has often made it hard for me to hold demanding jobs. I mostly have to work for individuals who are willing to let me do the best I can each day. I try to give my very best to my jobs, but some days it is hard to do even the bare minimum of tasks required much less over and above. Then I get a whirlwind day and go like someone much younger and more able. And pay for it for the next few days. But it feels so good to feel good on those days I just have to take advantage of it. Because if I don't, I'll still feel lousy the next few days. Just not quite as lousy.

I mostly work in spirts. On my job I am on my feet most of the day and by the time I get off some days it is all I can do to do what shopping and bill paying must be done for that day. I work M-W-F so I really need T & T, S & S to rest or just do what I can around the house.

Yesterday was a long day. I worked a full day(7 hours), sat in the van for over an hour waiting to be resqued because I had left my purse in the store. I had called my DD who always has an extra key to the van and house, and my supervisor to please come let me back in. They got there at the same time. So I did get some downtime before I had to go to the grocery store for supplies to make the lasanga for today.

I was finally in bed by about 10. Hurting badly, I took 2 extra strength tylenol as well as all the other bedtime meds and sleeping pill. I remember one of the dogs, Darcy Beagle trying to get me up just about the time I was really falling asleep. I told her "NO" and didn't get up. Woke up feeling rather good this morning. Lasanga is in the oven, pineapple/cottage cheese,lemonlime jello salad is made and set up nicely.

I unloaded the van before bedtime last night. I have so much to put into it this morning I just had to do that. I used the air compressor to blow out the store vacuum cleaners really well so they are ready for another day or 2 of use before coming home again. That is the best way to keep them cleaned. I wash the filters too. Only one other person is good at cleaning the vacuums after use so they get really dirty fast.. One of these days we will have removed all the carpeting in theat old store and they will have to do something. It did get cleaned last summer but after a month or so you couldn't tell it from what we pick up every day.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Leaf,I am so sorry. I just did not want anything to happen to you because you worked too hard. We miss you when you are not able to join us here on DG. I meant no harm in saying you work too hard. I have had to work hard the last year to help get this house built and I know what kind of suffering I went through and would not wish it on anyone. I understand that may be the pot calling the kettle black but I just did not want you to overwork yourself. I worked so hard in my younger days that the doctor said he thought I wore my body out early.Now I have to sit on a stool to do all the chores I do.
I hate that so many people who should be enjoying retirement are having to go back to work to make a living these days. Our goverment has let you down in my opinion.
My dad struggled to live off his disability, so did my mom, and now myself. Now my husband is laid off to boot. But we will survive if we have to eat daylillies and squirrels. There are no shortage of either here.LOL.
I went to nursing home and spent the day with mom and will cook for my girls tomorrow.I love all of you guys and gals and hope you have a Blessed Day. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I have to agree with Jim and Leaf. Every person on this earth has to find their own happy balance. It seems to me we all have disabilitys. I've seen some people put all their energy into proving they are above the rest of the world.Such a waste, when they could have put all that energy into an action that might indeed raise them up.I have a problem getting my thoughts out anymore.Hope you did'nt take that calling the kettle black in a derogatory way. I've always kidded the girls about that when they came tatling on each other.
I've always felt that we all stand on equal ground, disabled or not and we all contribute or are able to contribute in each individual way. You guys will never know how much each of you have contributed to my self motivation. and i need a constant reminder. When i lost my DH and my 2 best friends. It was like i lost the best part of me.And i floundered.
My family did not struggle, They took and kept and were cold and unloving.
My DH,s family struggled and fought but they had this wonderful little thing called love and understanding, Guess which one i accepted as the right way to live? Jesus was right. Without love you have nothing.
Anyway can anyone imagine having to keep a 20 room house clean. LOL
Vickie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Vickie, you have a 20 room house? I can barely keep 31/2 rooms decent and picked up.

Scraps, I didn't take any insult from the pot/kettle reference. I often feel the same way. I remember how hard you have worked to get that new house built and moved into. I felt so sorry for you having to overdo so much of the time and paying the price in the aches, pains, and wearyiness. Fibro is a cruel taskmaster.

Have any of you heard of the program called LoseTheBackPain or anyone who has used it? I got the infomail the other day and it has everyone of my back problems listed and described. But it is a lot of money to spend unless I get more referrals than what is on their own website. I think I'm going to spring for one of the several magnetic back bands on ebay. They aren't expensive so I won't have lost a lot if they are a sham. I have used magnets before and they worked unbeilivabley well. I have one now but I wonder if the magnets are weakened from age. It is rather old from the looks of it. Jim, can the magnets be revitalized? It is also quite wide and maybe more than I need. It is big around so was probably for a larger person. Tho the one I was most interested in on ebay went up to 40" + so maybe it isn't all that large.

I just had toast with cream cheese and strawberries. First thing I have eaten since I got home from Kris's yesterday afternoon.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Leaf, There is no way i'd have a 20 room house even if i could afford it. I have a relation that does or at least did. Have'nt heard from them in years.
I have a small 3 bedroom mobile home, Which is perfect for me. I do have a screen porch i'm very proud of.And 30 acres of woods.LOL
mmmmmm strawberrys and creamcheese! Sounds sinfully bad for you but i know it is good for you.
I'm not sure about the benefits of magnitism. The only thing i can see it realigning is iron. i don't think there is much iron in the back. However there are a lot of things i know nothing about,so if it works-Go for it.
Don't think a magnet can lose power except over a very long time.
I'm trying to think of the words to look out for in a scam. One was It's GARENTEED to work. Another is SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.
Wish i could be of more help.
Vickie

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I have no hard feelings and did not take the kettle remark wrong but I wanted to make sure I had not said something wrong.LOL I stay so confused and strung out sometimes I worry I said something that sounded mean. I read somewhere in all of my fibro research that the confusion and forgetfullness is called fibro fog. I have had it bad this weekend. I have been going in circles. I cooked for the girls or we all cooked together I should say. Right smack in the middle of my preparations and cleaning etc. friday my hubs ask me to go to town to the bank. A 45 minute drive. I could have shot him. I told him days in advance that friday was my day to get things all ready for saturday. But D#2 stepped up to the plate and went to baking like a pro. I gave her a recipe for 2 desserts and a cake mix for one chocolate cake for bubba, my grand(8), ordered a chocolate cake inside and out he said. So I figured he would not care if it was a mix or not. When I got back she had it all done. Shoot I trained her up well, I was so proud of her. Then she helped me with the rest all day that day. Then saturday D#1 came and we cooked the rest. Poor bubba ask at least a hundred times if I was finished and ready to ride the golf cart. He begged me to hurry. So as soon as I put the last bite in my mouth I had to go play. You have no idea what that cost me pain wise after 2 days in the kitchen. However, all was very successful. Our first Thanksgiving in the new house with plenty of room and the big strong table hubs built was laden down with food. I served on my Aunt's dishes whom I lost this year. We were Blessed and Thankful for it all. The Food was good, food is gone, garbage is full and so am I. I must work hard all week to work it off.LOL. Or NOT! Doesn't work off anyway it goes straight to my waist. I forgot to tell the girls I had set the turkey back in the oven after carving off some meat and putting it on platters. So while I was out being tortured on the golf cart and they were putting up the food, they missed it and I found it this morning and had to throw it out. It broke my heart but I could not take a chance on food poisoning. It turned out so good too. It was moist and juicy. I hate to waste but at least it was not very exspensive. It was on sale for 37 cents a pound. Of course, we need every dollar these days. So it really hurt my feelings bad. I slept until noon today and hurt with every step today. But I loved every minute of the time with my family. My brother and his woman friend came but did not stay long after I was forced onto golf cart. LOL. I love that little Bubba so much but would you believe he thinks I am 77 years old(I am 47almost).LOL. Kids say the funniest things. I laughed so hard it hurt. Heck I thought I was a young granny. My Daughter married a guy a few years older that had 2 kids already so I got instant grands. Then that little cutie stole my heart. They both did but the girl does not come visit very often. Anyway, I had a great but tiring weekend. Love and Prayers, scraps

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Scraps, it sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving for you and your family.

Have you ever tried Cymbalta? I know it is called an antidepressant and it does have that effect, but it is also wonderful for killing off the fibro pain. It thru me into a manic spell and I couldn't take it. I didn't really need an antidepressant afterall. It was a spiritual battle going on because of something someone had brought into our home without our knowledge. When we found it and destroyed it the depression was instantly lifted. But the pain for fibro was back. I just thought I would mention it since you suffer so much with the fibro.

Must go and get ready for work. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My crazy DD#1 had a fender-bender on Friday, her first accident, and SOMEHOW her car (which is in my name) had the registration lapse. So it was impounded, and because it was Friday 4 pm we couldn't reregister it until this am, so we'll have no end of storage fees to pay. Probably the registration lapsing was my fault. And the little space-cadet had left her license in her other pants, so she got a ticket for that too. That was her fault. A very expensive Thanksgiving weekend.

Sounds like the rest of you had a great time! I know how kids can be so much fun and irresistible, and then you realize you've used up your week's allotment of energy in one afternoon.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Sounds like you mostly injoyed Thanksgiving. I'm so proud for your new house Thanksgiving Steph, Can't think of a better way to break a new house in.LOL all kids that age think everyone over 30 is ancient.
Carrie,I feel for your car problems. My SIL put some dents in mine with deer run ins. Than in todays paper was an article about the rise in deer-car accidents. Seems we are lucky, Theres been quite a few deaths caused by deer accidents.
Today depression was not so bad. Saw 2 of my councelors and found a poinsettia for $7.00 at Walmarts. I've never seen one like this one so i put a couple things back and grabbed it. It's smaller flowered than most but had a lot of blooms. The petals were slightly ruffled on the edges.
Got my Christmas tree up and got some of my Nativity scenes up and about. Am now adding snowflakes to my silk vines.
Have started a crochet project. Not sure yet how much crocheting i can do without hurting my wrist.
We may get some snow tomorrow. DD-Nita was close to some snow they got in Dallas.
Good nite all
Vickie

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi everybody!! I have really missed you all and the computer. I now have a DELL Studio XPS 1640 with windows 7.

Still need to reload all my progrema etc, but wanted to give a shout out at ya'all ^_^

blessings to all,
BirdieBlue AKA Sheri

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tell me about Windows 7 - is it fantabulous?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My brother was telling me about Windows 7.

Welcome back Birdie.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hi, Scraps here is having computer problems. I just typed long message and it went bye bye on me before it sent it. So just know i MISS You all and will be back soon I hope. Is that not great. Birdie is back now I am out of commision. I popped in on DD's laptop to say a quick hello. She is doing homework so I better give it back. will try to bum it again tonight while she is asleep. love you guys.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

This thread is getting pretty long so I think I'll start a new one. It will #9. Wow!!

We are really hanging in there with this Compassion threat. I'm so glad to see so many reaching out to each other like this. I know GOD is glad too. It is like HIS hand reaching out thru each person to another who needs to know they are loved and their needs are important to others.

Scraps, I pray you get your computer going soon. I remember going thru that almost 2 years ago. I'd be up a creek if anything happens to this one. No money here to fix or repair this one for a long time into the future. My son who lives nearby is able to do most of what I need.

The sun is shining brightlyand the temps are not that bad by now. It was cold and quite windy early this morning. I let the birds out of the house for the first time in a few days today. There is a lot of killing by one or more hawks so I have to keep them in the building a lot lately. I let Moses peacock outside because I don't think any hawk is dumb enough to take on a peacock. Moses will however take on a hawk if he sees or hears one attack a chicken. We have seen that happen. Most of the time tho he is on the other side of the house or down at Kyle & Holly's and can't get there in time even if he hears. I don't think there is much noise in the attack tho.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow, Leaflady, you have a peacock? Very cool!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Carrie, how is the vehicle issue coming on. I'm sorry I didn't ask before. Blame it on Fibrofog.

I don't know what happened to the new thread I started but it obviously never got posted. I'll try again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.