November Daily Weather - Season Changes 2

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We are a group of friends from around the world talking about our weather and our lives. All are welcome to join the chat! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1052702/

We've had Summer temps the last couple of days. Fall temps are supposed to show up in a couple of days. Hurricane Ida is bringing us some much needed rain in the meantime.

71.2 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 65 °F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the SE
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph
Pressure: 30.15 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 71 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1400 ft
Mostly Cloudy 3400 ft
Overcast 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 11 PM EST this evening...

Rest of Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Lows in the upper 60s inland...in the lower 70s coast. Windy with east winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to near 30 mph.

No snow and no ice, but plenty of Petunias on tap :)

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Any deer hunting going on? MN deer season opened Sat. On the news a little while ago they showed a deer a man shot that had 13 points & weighed over 400 lbs.

We finished digging our potatoes today. I think we could supply our little town all winter, except nobody bothers buying potatoes locally. They would rather buy super market potatoes that are sprayed with ever known chemical. Ever cut into a potato & it has black spots in it ? That is the result of being stored to cold. I believe it also is bad for your health.
Did you know potatoes are killed with chemicals so they don't get bigger than the market can bear ?

House is coming along fast now. We started sheeting & shingling the roof today. Should be done by Wed night. It goes slower than normal because we are matching the original house. It has open eves with wainscot showing between rafters. It takes 6 rows of boards to get the effect, then sheeting goes over that. The whole roof system needs to be shimmed to get everything flat. (We are very fussy, you know!)

Next step will be getting the windows in & then taking the walls out & put in supporting beams. That should be done by middle of next week. Then inside finishing will get under way.

60º again today! One day less of winter.
Bernie

(Zone 3b)

15*F clear and cold-perhaps it's a good night for Northern Lights to be out. Will check through-out the night. It's 5pm and nearly dark with a hint of pink sunset.
Thanks for the new thread, Sharon. Hope the petunias weather the rain and wind.
CG~our potatoes did well, too. We harvest the first week of Sept and they keep well. Interesting about the "store bought" potatoes.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie sounds great.
We need pictures! lol!

Deer hunting (Bow and Muzzle loader) have been going on here for some time now.
Gun season opens in 21 days.
Here in Ohio Shotguns only can be used.
The limits have been significantly raised this year.
6 deer may be taken in our area or zone. 3 Buck and 3 Antlerless.

A bit overcast today but warm.
T Shirts again....
Finished painting the GH and the eaves on the Sewing Room.
Then cleaned the back gutters... the leaves are just about done falling now.

Thanks for the comments on the HT.
Did a few changes today on it also.
Had to move a few hooks for towel hanging and some eyebolts for the solar lanterns.
It was too hot last night at 43° to have the doors shut.
That's VERY good! lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

HIgh of 65 and cloudy all day.

Bow season started awhile back and rifle season starts Saturday. My brothers and my dad are going out. A friend and member on here (leaflady) needs some deer so they are gonna get her some and I will take them to her Sunday.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pepper I didn't know you and 'leaf' were buds!
We talk about daily on the Health Forum...small world!

Foggy and 50°
Looks like another cloudy and mid 60's day tomorrow.

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Boy, deer must be thick in Ohio & Missouri. We can't say we are going to go out & shoot a deer. We go deer hunting. Only 50% of the hunters actually get a deer.

If I think of it tomorrow, I will have pictures.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We live in an urban area and see deer almost daily.
Last year they 'took' 230,000 deer in Ohio during the season.
Almost 500 were culled from a park near here by professional hunters....

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It looks like deer season in southern CA starts the second Saturday of October and runs for 30 days, though there is one zone where it starts the second Saturday in August and runs for 44 day. It looks like you are allowed one buck. There is no place open for hunting right around here. In PA, buck season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Gun season for deer started in Arkansas this past week. Bow and muzzle loader season started in October. Deer are plentiful here, too. My 24 yr. old grandson had his Mustang badly damaged by a deer which jumped out in front of him while he was on the way to work early one morning in October. Fortunately my grandson wasn't hurt. He was supposed to get his car back last week--been driving a rental since the accident.

Nice photos, everyone!

Sharon, I will get the ajuga in the mail to you soon--will let you know when it is on the way.

Ric, I love that phrase you used in reference to Kiska's photo: "holding its breath waiting for the snow." That really paints a word picture! The HT is looking good and just think--if you run out of room in the GH, you can always put some plants in the HT area--LOL

Adina: looking forward to your next article on Hibiscus. I'm glad Kathy Ann was able to help you out--she is a sweetheart!

Bernie: being "fussy" is a very good thing when it comes to construction!! Have you ever seen that show "Holmes on homes" on HGTV? Wow, what a nightmare that shoddy workmanship can create for unsuspecting homeowners!!

patgeorge: Welcome to the weather thread--we chat about all sorts of things, including the weather--LOL

Kiska: looking forward to pics of your newly remodeled areas. :o))

Celia: no sickness is my house, thank goodness. Hope all is well with the rest of you folks!

Thanks to now Tropical Storm Ida, we were overcast all day yesterday but no rain fell on us. Temp was in the mid-70's--same forecast on tap for today. Unusually spring-like temps here. No snow in sight! LOL

Everyone have a good day!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I just read your article, Kelli, on "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle"--good job!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

A man near here, hit a deer with his motorcycle. He was thrown off & died. Deer are getting to be nothing but a nuisance instead of a big game animal. Years ago deer were in the woods of northern MN, not all over the state. They cause great damage in the farm fields & suburban gardens here. Untold numbers lay dead along the roads after being hit by cars & trucks. The state long ago ceased picking them up. They lay there until the buzzards & other animals get the cleaned up. The state can leave their dead livestock laying around, but farmers must pay to have theirs hauled away.

31º this morning. Lowest temp in a couple weeks.
Way above average temps this week.

Bernie

Bernie - That is interesting about the potatoes. I had no idea.

72.0 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 65 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 73 °F
Clouds: Few 1200 ft
Scattered Clouds 3400 ft
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Cloudy...breezy. Chance of showers in the morning...then showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 76. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Interesting shoot on the Epi Oxypetalum. If it is a stem for a bloom it will be the first time. I'm excitedt to see what happens :)

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Welcome, Patgeorge!!! I've always been curious about Finland and the people. I think the language is beautiful to listen to.

I still have to catch up to everyone. One of my god-daughters fell off a horse yesterday and fractured the area between her eye and nose. She'll be fine and won't lose her sight but she looks she went a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson!

49.2 °F with 61º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 49 °F
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 33 °F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 30.26 in (Steady)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 16000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

9*F ~ sun came up about an hour ago at 8:52. With clear skies, it really looked pretty.
Sunset: 4:27 Loss of: 5m19seconds.
Highs to the 20's.
ric~very inviting to see the hot tub surround.
marsue~today my gson/wife are coming over to help take out the old countertop. Now, the real dirty work begins:)) Will be all better on Thursday night.
There are no deer in my area to hunt.
There are deer on Kodiak Island and down in Southeast Alaska,the Sitka/Ketchican area. My son has flown out to Kodiak and had success; terribly expensive, but good eats. (Over $2,500)> That includes the flights and boat, plus other expenses.
kwanjin~get well soon wishes to your god-daughter.
pepper~lucky "leaflady"; sounds great.
kelli~will go to the forum next to read your article.
ric~very apt description as that's just it's been like~with a very late snowfall, we can now let our breath out. Each day w/out snow was exceptional.
Have a good day everyone.
Here's my way of greeting the new season each year~Barefeet in the snow.

Thumbnail by kiska
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Great to have you here patgeorge!

75.0 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 57 °F
Wind: 1.3 mph Variable
Wind Gust: 7.6 mph
Pressure: 30.10 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 78 °F
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds:
Few 4700 ft
Scattered Clouds 5500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Nice day outside. Hopefully tomorrow will be the same thing, Veterans Day means no worky jerky for me!

Dang, I ate lunch now I'm just wiped out! Feel like it's Thursday here.

Going shopping with a friend tomorrow, and I've got to ask her to tell her husband, Dave's best friend from elementary school Greg, that he wants a deer if Greg gets two we'll pay him for one. Think that will fly?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Howdy Do All,

I wish I could say I've been doing exciting things this past month, but alas, no. Same old same old.

I canned 14 quarts of venison. SIL shot two does with a muzzle loader. One they took to the locker. The second they decided to try and cut up themselves. I had about 5# of waste from 29# of meat from the one they cut up. Not bad. We sampled a jar. Very good! They ordered a 1 HP grinder from Cabellas and since we bought it for them, we also ordered a juicer attatchment. I think canning tomato juice and applesauce will go a lot quicker if I don't have to go thru scalding and peeling. I can't wait to try it. The roasts and loin from the second doe are in my freezer right now. She was a little bigger.

It's 60º, sunny and breezy. The grass is green as can be and so are a lot of the perennials even tho we've had freezing nights.

Sharon I thought about you when I heard about hurricane Ida. I'm glad she's being good to you. Love the petunias. Mine are still green, so I hope they're hardy enough to reseed next spring!

Bernie, we just ate the last of the red potatoes I grew. You must be digging Russets. I'm planting a lot more next spring. I wish I had a fruit room to keep a winter supply of homegrown. I'm way behind on everyone's doings so I'll have to wait for a picture.

Kiska, I didn't know you had a long enough season to grow potatoes. How wonderful!

Ric, wow! What a wonderful hot tub and building for it!

Pepper, how kind of your family to give Leaflady some deer. I haven't talked to her for quite a while. Hope she's doing well.

Marsue, DH's sister also just hit a deer. That's too bad about his Mustang. I'm glad he wasn't hurt.

Bernie, I agree. I don't know why they won't let hunters take more deer. SIL's nephews and sons donate their bucks to HUSH, for feeding the hungry. In my county, they have a list of people who will take a freshly hit deer (by a car.) When they were raising peregrine falcons to bring populations up, they also fed roadkill to them.

Celia, that was a scare. I'm so glad she's ok.

Kiska, I love your barefeet in the snow picture!!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

High of +9ºC or 47ºF, Low tonight 0ºC or 32ºF
Condition: Mainly Sunny
Wind: S 8 km/h or 5 mph
Relative Humidity: 36%
Pressure: 101.1 kPa or 29.85" falling
Dewpoint: -5.6ºC or 21.9ºF
Ceiling: unlimited
Visibility: 48 km or 30 miles

Altitude: 1084 m or 3556 ft
Latitude: 51.12º
Longitude: -114.04º

Sunrise: 7:43AM
Sunset: 4:56PM
Daylight Hours: 9 hrs 09 min

Hope to have the electrical job done today. I will have 3 plugs for the greenhouse. I plug outside for a decorative yard light and 2 sets inside. I plug has a switch so I can have a light. So far so good.

Kiska, I have to ask, how far did you walk in the snow barefoot?

Ric, Hot tub area looks nice & warm.

billyporter, what is venison?

Here's part of the GH electrical project.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's the backside of the same plug for the outside light

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's the dedicated plug for my heater and fan

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Joanna: venison is deer meat :o))
I don't know what is wrong with my laptop but I can't get the thumbnails to enlarge properly so if I don't comment on your photos, please forgive me.
Celia: so sorry about your god-daughter--poor little thing--I hope she is doing better!
Kiska: neat tradition about the barefoot in the first snow thing--as long as your walk doesn't last very long--LOL

another beautiful spring-like day here--Tropical Storm Ida still hasn't dropped any rain on us.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2009 3:20 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for filling in for me Mau. Takes so long to get thru my threads, mail, and back again :o)

Joannabanana, how long is your growing season? I think all the Northerners I talk to have greenhouses. Your's looks like a nice one!

Now
Through 430 PM...showers will continue to move into Taylor...Lake Butler... Alachua...Jasper...Live Oak...Lake city and Trenton. Rainfall amounts of up to three quarters of an inch per hour can be expected. The showers are moving north northeast at 25 miles an hour.

It's getting closer...

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I will try to enjoy everyone's rain vicariously.

Barefoot in the snow - I just about go into shock thinking about it. ;-) Then again, I don't go barefoot anywhere, not even on the beach. (too many stones)

Marilyn and Adina, thank you for your comments on my article.

Undoubtedly, my cousin and uncle will go doe and buck hunting this year and most likely will not get anything. They go up to their cabin in northern PA because that is more fun, but there aren't may deer there anymore. Deer don't want mature woods, they want farms and yards.

There don't seem to be all that many deer around here. We see them maybe 5% of the times that we go hiking. We do see tracks a good bit, though. There is no hunting in the Santa Monica Mountains, but I guess the coyotes and climate keep them under control. I don't recall ever seeing a roadkill deer around here. Someone who tries to garden in the Santa Monica Mountains or who farms in Camarillo might be able to tell me a different story about deer.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 11:51 AM PST on November 10, 2009
81 °F
Clear
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 34 °F
Wind: Calm

Another Thanksgiving cactus

Adina, someone wrote a DG Article about the difference between Thanksgiving cactus and Christmas cactus. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/392/ Thanksgiving cactus is obviously an American name, and I would guess that everywhere else they are both called Christmas cactus. All of mine are Thanksgiving cactus, though I usually call them Christmas cactus.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli I never saw any deer in CA either, and I was always up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains for day trips a lot, never saw anything. CA is so overpopulated it's hard to get any wildlife experience.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't grow any Russets.
We were digging Reds & Yukon Gold yesterday.

House is not going as fast as we thought. All the edges of the roof are done & the first row of sheeting is on all the way around. I will be heading for more material after a bit.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Last picture is living room corner. Window with window box & the next 2 are living room windows. (I like windows!)
This picture is office corner. Double window & single window.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

The addition is looking good, Bernie!
Kelli: I read the article about the difference in the cactus and I have discovered that mine is a Thanksgiving Cactus--it is currently putting on buds. Mine is a white.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Joanna that looks like you've got it all covered. Nice!
I know it gets VERY cold up that way.
Will you use it all winter?

Bernie I'm sure you are glad to get those roofing details finished.
Looks like it matches up VERY well.
Is the front overhang an entrance/porch?

Another shirtsleeve day here.
Cloudy but no wind at all mid 60's.
Sunny and cooler here tomorrow but still near 60 so.....
Weird!

Robyn started placing the Holiday Trees today.
Looks like the backyard will be the focus this year.
They are running gas line down our street... possibly by early next week weather permitting.
They are doing almost 300' a day out on the main road. Thru asphalt.
Our gravel road should be a snap.

Ric

High of high 50s and mostly cloudy til late morning then the sun came out. Felt good too. LOL

Mau, I LOVE Holmes on Homes!!!! He does what my dad does except on a larger scale. Fix other people's mistakes plus normal remodeling. My dad even likes him and normally he's scoffing at the stuff TV people use. lol

Glad some of you know and like leaflady. She lives 45 min east of me on a HUGE farm and is super nice. She used to volunteer at Powell Gardens (my old job and where I now volunteer) before her health took a beating and she's the one who got me on here.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pepper she's a peach!
I met her thru Pebble and love her.
Give her a HUG for me when you see her next.

How's you're Dad like the guy who drops pianos on houses? lol!

He can't stand that guy. LOL. He stays mum on that cause if he lets loose he won't stop. LOL

I will definitely give her a hug for you!!

I've met Pebble a long time ago but have never had the chance to meet leaflady.

Ya'll are funny.

The house is looking nice Bernie! It'll be done before you know it!

(Zone 3b)

13*F
Dark/clear
Nice seeing what's gone on today~our grandson/wife just returned home. They came over to help w/kitchen redo.
My walk in the snow is short lived~ only a dozen or so steps, so nothing at all extreme-just fun.
Potatoes do very well here; because they are disease free, seed potatoes are sold to Japan and Korea.
They are planted in late May-early June, and thrive in the cool summers; with 24 hour daylight, there's no let up in growing.
Have a good evening.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: I discovered Holmes on Homes over a year ago on HGTV and I really like his show. I just wonder who pays for all the re-construction he has to do on those jobs because it is obvious that the people he helps have already used up all their money by paying for something they didn't get.
Ric: who is the guy who drops pianos on houses?--I don't believe I have heard about him--LOL
Bernie: I meant to tell you that your comments about the chemicals sprayed on potatoes makes me want to stop eating potatoes--yuck!!
Kiska: looking forward to seeing photos once your remodel job is complete. :o))

Our weather is a repeat of yesterday. Nice!!

A Don Juan rose--this one was blooming in September but I have a couple of blooms on Don Juan even now. :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

Celia – I hope your god-daughter will be ok. Sounds very painful.
Kiska- I think the snow would have melted under my feet LOL!
Crissy – enjoy your day off…me – I have to work.
Sally – You’ve been busy! Ida was no threat to us, just some much needed rain.
Joanna – nice greenhouse!
Mau – Don Juan is looking good!

70.0 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 66 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.71 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 1500 ft
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9500 ft
Overcast 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers. High 72. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the north in the afternoon.

So far we've received 1" of rain.I'm hoping for more. Hibs are still doing well.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Happy Veterans Day!

I want to take this moment to thank all veterans for their dedicated and loyal service to our country. Thank you.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I am happy to say I am a veteran!
Happy veterans day to all my fellow veterans!
Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau it's called Disaster House and is pretty bad.

http://www.diynetwork.com/disaster-house/show/index.html

A scarier show is Renovation Realities.
We almost saw two girls loose hands to a contractor's saw.
A towel got caught in it, don't ask, and they tried to get it out W/O unplugging the thing.
And the cameraman just sat and watched...and filmed of course...
OK a lot of people don't have DIY skills but these people are just STUPID not just uninformed.

Beautiful day going down here.
Near 60°sunny.

Happy Veteran's Day!
Do you remember them giving out Red Poppies.
Here's the origin

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly.
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

This was the poem written by World War I Colonel John McCrae.

Ric

(Zone 3b)

Have a wonderful Veterans Day; this poem was from WWII so thought I'd post it as well.
Loved the poem you posted, ric.
24*F snow in the forecast for today.

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.