Free Document Shredding

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I thought we had a recycling forum but don't see one. Like many of you, I've been on a tear, doing some fall spruce up. One of the chores was to discard about 10 boxes w/ tax records, old letters, etc. that are no longer needed. I have a desktop shredder but I wasn't looking forward to hours and hours shredding the stuff in my 10 boxes.

By coincidence, Keep Sugar Land Beautiful, a local civic group, had posted an ad offering free document shredding with the option to witness your own documents being destroyed. Doing further research I found a couple of professional document shredding services that offer free shredding a couple of hrs each week. You can bring as much as you want, and you can also witness the shredding if you need that extra assurance. The company does it as community service but they keep the shreds and sell to paper mfgrs. I would have liked to keep my shreds to put in my compost pile, but not an option. I was OK w/ that since this free service took that 10 boxload off my to do list.

I thought I'd share this so readers might find a similar arrangement in their community, either thru a civic organization or thru a business offering as community service.

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!