Pinus patula

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha,

A fellow DG'er from Ocean View on the BI has asked me to try to find some seeds of the Mexican weeping pine for him. I "googled" and see that we have them here on Haleakala, in Haiku, and in the Kula forest reserve. I can take a trip upcountry to try to get them for him, but I don't know when the seeds (are they in cones?) would be ready for picking. Nor can I find any nursery here that has them, or even has seedlings.

Any information (Dave?) would be a great help to me, or better still, does anyone have them in their garden that they could share with Jeff so I don't send him the wrong pine seeds if I do find them!

Mahalo!

Jenn

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Jenn, if ya can't find seeds for your friend Jeff, this place sells them.

http://www.treehelp.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=SD-11390

Thanks for your help - I will send the link to Jeff. ^_^

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Too welcome, Jenn

Keaau, HI

Hi Jenn, although Pinus patula, the Jelecote Pine, has been used for reforestation on Maui, it has performed poorly, and is no longer used for that purpose. It might not be worth the while to collect seeds from trees that aren't very healthy.

A Pine that does do well in Hawai'i, and especially in sunny conditions like those in HOVE, is Pinus thunbergiana, Japanese Black Pine.
It actually grows faster in Hawai'i than it does in it's native Japan.

The DG member can easily order seedlings, inexpensively, from the DLNR baseyard in Hilo, on Kilauea Ave. & Kawili St. I think they sell 20 seedlings for $5.00.

Oh, thanks so much for the info - I am at work right now but will pass this on to Jeff this evening. Wonderful info as he also lives on the BI !

Jenn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.