Hoping for an ID

Merino, Australia

I know it's pretty hard to ID an iris from a photo but I was sold this as 'Patina', last year. Of course, I had to wait to see it bloom and the seller has gone. I do like it so would love a name if possible. Being an unusual color I thought it may be recognised. The bud next to it is not the same plant. I checked the Plant Files but all listed have a lot of brown in the flower especially the standards.
Thanks for any help.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Raleigh, NC

no idea - but y'all probably have a lot of hybrids down under that we would not necessarily see here in the States unless they were grown by someone who exports their plants. I only know the names of two hybridizers there, Blyth and Grosvenor. you might try sending/ emailing them photos of it. Blyth partners with Keppel a lot and it's quite possible the original Patina was obtained from him. Maybe this was its offspring?

Patina was hybridized more than 30 years ago, it's historic now. the longer a plant is in production, the more often it is misnamed or mixed up with another plant.

are you sure it isn't Patina? Actually, computer monitors vary color a great deal. But even with that, over half the photos in Plantfiles here don't match the description Keith Keppel listed of Patina. If anything, your plant looks a bit closer in coloring to the description!

Merino, Australia

Thank you. It was worth a try. I realise there are so many out there misnamed. Mine has no olive color in the stds or brown edge to the falls so is not Patina. As you say, it may be an offspring. It will stay in the noid bed. Maybe good for breeding later. I do buy from Blyths and never have a problem and after 2 or 3 'mistakes' like this from other places, I will stick to them and the other larger iris nurseries .
thanks again.

Raleigh, NC

well, some of my prettiest irises are NOIDs, and I've sold NOIDs. most gardeners don't care about the names.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I wish I did, It has nice form.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

That is beautiful with that striping down the fall.

Merino, Australia

Thanks for the comments. It is a very hardy iris as we have has a week of temps over 30C and it is still going well. I will be keeping it. I love the stripes too .

Sketch Me, Pencil Sketch? Sketch me has a little more peppering, but that really does not mean anything, each flower is different.

Thumbnail by 1913cat

Definately not Sketch Me, in comparison, yours is more yellow.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Look to the Desert Echo line, perhaps its a relative.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/34706/

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Merino, Australia

Thank you for the link. It certainly looks like Desert Echo. Considering the variance in color in different light it looks the same. I will keep note of the name and check again next year when it flowers.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I would almost say Desert Echo too. You might purchase one and grow it next to it to see if it blooms the same. It is so nice another one would not bother me,.

Merino, Australia

We have had a week of over 34C here and it has stood up to that heat very well. Definitely one to keep. I will see if I can get Desert Echo as you suggest and compare. Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.