Need help with hummingbirds

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

I have several Hummingbirds I need Id help with. The first one I think is the Costa's Hummingbird. The other's I am not sure of but they may be the same birds.

Thanks

Al

Thumbnail by Methodical
Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

2nd one

Thumbnail by Methodical
Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

3rd shot

Thumbnail by Methodical
Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

4th shot

Thumbnail by Methodical
Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

5th shot. Black-chinned - female???

This message was edited Nov 7, 2009 9:08 PM

Thumbnail by Methodical
Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

last shot. Black-chinned...male????

This message was edited Nov 7, 2009 9:08 PM

Thumbnail by Methodical
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

#1 and #6 are both male Costa's.

#2 and #3 difficult call between Costa's and Anna's.

Not sure about #4 and #5.

Location would help a lot, please!

Resin

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Resin, these were taken in Tucson Az

Thanks for the help

This message was edited Nov 9, 2009 10:33 AM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Thanks! Anna's is very improbable in Tucson, so I'd assume Costa's for 2 & 3 as well then.

Resin

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Alrighty thanks again

Lakeland, FL

I know nothing about hummingbirds, but I do know these are beautiful photos. Congrats

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Lagerfran

Perrysburg, OH

#1 is Costa's. #2 is either Costa's or Anna's, probably Costa's. #3 looks a LOT like Anna's but is probably Costa's in very bright light based on the location. #4 and #5 might be Black-chinned but I'm not at all sure. #6 is Costa's.

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

I have to see what other shots I have but it seems Costas is what they are.

Thanks all.

San Luis Obispo, CA

Ah Tucson, so many hummingbirds. I have a place in the SE corner of AZ and here are my thoughts:
#'s 1 & 6 are male Costa's. #'s 2 & 3 are male Anna's (They are not common, but are definitely present during migration. The gray breast helps with #2). The angle of the photo on #4 makes it a challenge, so no idea. And #5 is an immature or female Broad-billed Hummingbird (note the lower mandible is orange and the white line behind the eye.

Thanks for sharing!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, I'm no help with ID, but just wanted to compliment your photos. Really FANTASTIC!

Cupertino, CA(Zone 9a)

DITTO!!!! on those photos. Mindblowing!!!

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

While this tread was being debated, I was chasing both Anna's Hummingbirds and Costa's Hummingbirds through City parks in Gilbert, AZ a suburb of Phoenix, and Yuma, AZ. These locations are a couple hundred miles west and north of Tucson, AZ. However, from what I learned locally, I would expect to find both species in Tucson, at this time.

One distinguishing characteristic is the length of the wings, relative to the tip of the tail. At rest the wing tips of the
Costa's Hummingbird are approximately equal in length to the tip of the tail.

This is a Costa's Hummingbird, photographed in Yuma, AZ Dec. 14, 2009

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The Anna's Hummingbird tail is considerably longer than the wing tips.

This is an Anna's Hummingbird photographed in the "Water Ranch, Riparian Preserve Park," Gilbert, AZ on December 15, 2009.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice shots and comparison...this helps. So you got to Az...how was it and what birds you get? Post up some photos.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2009 9:10 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.