Help, the rocks weren't talking ot me today!

(Zone 5b)

I've been stuck in side for two weeks with whatever flu it is. I just had to get out side and since my DH was gone today I decided to get the handy man to help me with the rocks. PLEASE don't laugh! They rocks just weren't talking to me and I wasn't really well enough to be doing this but did anyway. After my DH got over the shock that I did this - he cracked up and said it had a "cemetary" look to it.... he has a valid point! I was trying to get some height with the rocks and failed miserably. Here are some pictures, not the best time of day for them, it's just to give you an idea of what happens when Rocks don't talk, or I don't hear them LOL! I need to fill this area in too - any ideas, that is after I rearrange the rocks again!
Annie

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

Another view.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

Third one, again, sorry about the lighting.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

Last one.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

The very last picture, the pile of rocks is for rabbits to hide in case my dogs try to catch one when we go out.
I think maybe I should separate the rocks more so they aren't in piles and clumps? My arms hurt at the thought LOL

Thanks for looking!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Annie, I like the one in the distant picture where it looks like you've made a bench with the rocks. I think I would try to construct something with them... my worry about just piling them would be snakes..... but I'm really afraid of snakes anyway.

If you want them in the "pile" look, I think I'd add more to the piles.... less piles more rocks.

I'd definitely use a lot of the long ones as benches though.... functional and look good.

You might check out this guy, he likes to use big rocks in the landscape.....

I liked this picture, if you aren't into budda, you could use anything there in place of.

http://www.forristt.com/home.html

**not my picture

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

I like this set of rocks to the left of the photo

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio
(Zone 5b)

Great pictures and thanks for the idea's, Melissa_Ohio!

I did spread out a couple of rocks today, most are just too heavy for me to do alone but I'll have help later in the week. OMG I never even thought about snakes! I've never seen one (knock on wood!) in the 4 years we've lived here. We have lots of coyotes, hawks, owls and other wild life, so that might keep them away? We live on 2 acres but it is all lawn so hopefully it won't be as appealing to them.

It's going to be an even longer winter with all these idea's going on in my head LOL

Maybe you haven't seen them because they haven't had a good place to hide from the predators. If you give them hiding places they will come. :)

I'm sorry, snakes really freak me out! LOL

Have you tried winter sowing? That will give you something to do this winter, plus give you lots and lots of plants for a fraction of the price of buying them full size.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Don't worry about snakes they are your friends.
Never going to see them in that setting.

Does look like a first attempt. Does look like 'Taps' should be playing...lol!
No biggie. First attempts NEVER work for us either.
If the rocks ain't speaking they just aren't...
Hard to work w/ dressed stone and get the look you want, I know.
Try introducing some round and irregular stuff and as Mellisa says MORE rock not less.

BEAUTIFUL Stone though I have to say that!!!

Remember though that the plantings will soften the look.
Also rigid linear structures add a bit of a shock affect in the midst of a cottage or island bed.
Done right they can make a bed.

Here's a shot from a day the rocks finally started speaking.
This was our third attempt....
Turns out one rock wanted to be in another spot..... when it got moved there it all fell into line...lol!
Excuse the Skippy Filter.... it was test day..
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Just found this thread again.
My two cents worth. Most rocks look best when part of them are buried in the ground...like you find them naturally. Might try that, Annie...at least the bottom ones.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

It might help you with your rock placement if you study Japanese gardens. The rocks appear to be in natural groups but there is a definite relationship in closeness, shape and size of the rocks. Some of the rocks could spill out of your planting area into the lawn, linking the 2 together. For example go to:

http://www.adachi-museum.or.jp/e/g_spring.html

Looks like you have a great opportunity to create a beautiful garden.
Have fun!

Mike.

(Zone 5b)

Smitful, that is one beautiful garden! It's so perfect! I would never be able to keep one looking so pristine though, LOL.
Marcy_1, I'm going to do as you suggested and bury part of them, I also have more rocks to add and will do the same with them.

Thank you all for looking and the suggestions!

How many days until it's really spring here???

Annie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

First day of Spring .....69 days....

(Zone 5b)

You crack me up, Ric! Let me rephrase that.... How many days until REAL spring? Ya know, being outside in flip flops, dragging hoses around, Digging & Playing In The Dirt --- THAT kind of spring LOL. End of March is still cold here but at least the feeling is more hopeful. I even have a few things for the Spring RU too! WhhooHooo!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well I am usually in sandals once we hit 50 .... LOL!
but I know what you mean Annie....

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Annie, your caption drew me in and I got a big smile over your story. I didn't think your piles looked too bad. I was trying to picture them after there were flowers around them. I was more blown away by the huge clean slate you have to work with! Wow! I hope you post pictures as you fill in.

Sally

(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Sally! It's going to take time it in. All the shrubs I like for the area take a couple of years to get going but will be worth it. The is still SO much snow in the yard even the rocks are covered over. Hopefully it will melt this week - 50's and some rain. It will be nice to finally see the ground again, no matter how muddy it is. I will absolutely post pics when I get started planting.

Annie

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I have you bookmarked! I think your rocks are great! I never thought about stacking them like you did. That is, if I had any nice big rocks.LOL! Our weather is at a turning point. We actually had rain this morn!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.