Pineapple Sage - Transplant? Haricut? Buzz Cut?

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Not sure how to treat this plant. Grew like crazy the last six weeks after I thought it was nearly worthless. . Definitely planted in the wrong area as I hear it can get quite large. Can it be transplanted this time of the year?

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Fall is for planting/transplanting' that's the motto in my climate. How cold/warm is your locale?

My Pineapple Sage grew to be 5-6 feet tall in a semi-shade area. I've transplanted them two years ago, and they do well today.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

The winter kills mine down here, so you should probably over winter it inside a greenhouse or something...Once in awhile if our winters are even milder than usual, one will come back for me, but it's not the norm..And yes they can get 4-5 feet wide and tall..

larkie

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks. I never was too sure about "when fall is." Yea it falls between Sept and Dec...but if it's darn right cold I call it winter. So I would assume maybe it has much to do with soil temps? I'll have to follow that. Incidentally a great link on soil temps etc. It's more for farmers, but hey we're kind of like farmers.

http://www.georgiaweather.net/

Larkie:

If it doesn't make it in your area, it's gonna be toast up here in the mountains.

Or maybe I can cut it back and cover with perforated 6 mil plastic? A little greenhouse winter coat sort of speak.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

This plant reseeds itself every year, at least for me. I have also succeeded with overwintering a small plant indoors and in a barely heated greenhouse. Your idea might work.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mine (pineapple sages) faithfully returned every year here.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I had a start of pineapple plant, but it only grew one year.
Mike

Mine grows near a downspout and was huge this year with the rain. It re-seeded itself. Bloomed right up to this week and the heaviest of frosts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.