canna seeds

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I was just wondering and maybe someone with a little more experience can answer.. I just just wondering when you get canna seed pods are they all the same in the pod?? or will even the seeds in a pod differ??
thanks
jen

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Can I piggy back on your thread, and ask if this is what a canna seed pod looks like? I also am curious about the answer to Jen's question. Trying to figure out what canna seeds look like. Thx!

Thumbnail by jlj072174
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Some cannas will get seeds and some will not.. I have found a few that I have got the seed pods and when they got brown and ready to pick there was nothing inside.. Yes that is a seed pod weather theres seeds inside or not is weather your canna is sterile or not.. Just wait till it starts to turn brown and dry up and when you open it you will see.. IF theres seeds there hard black round balls.. i've had a pod with one seeds I've also had a pod with 6 so they very..I had a tropicanna with a bunch of pods so i opened one that was still green to see, and there was nothing so i did another one and another but none had any.. I also did this to my red stripe and that green one had white balls inside so i new to watch those closely cause they had seeds...
jen

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Wait until they are dry, much like this one.

Thumbnail by DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Tear open the shell of the pod.....

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Desert -- those pods look like little dried hearts. I'll keep an eye on mine to see what if anything it does. How do I know/find out if it's sterile or not?

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

You'll find seeds that look like this. As smurf428 said the number inside may vary. This one had five.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

If you open the pod and nothing is inside.....it's sterile. No other way I know of. Maybe someone else has an idea.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

if you planted it from seed it will seed... If youy check on the plantfiles for it some will tell you if they seed or not.. Other then that yep just wait and see...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.