eBay Iris (good and bad) PART 2

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Just making a new thread for the dial up folks:)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1024763/

Hope the conversation continues! Lots of good information and such.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2009 6:49 PM

Raleigh, NC

thanks dmac for the new thread. has anyone noticed whether or not the naughty sellers have dropped back like the real sellers do?

Boaz, KY

Yeah -- I was thinking the same thing bonjon -- they haven't gone away, it's just the end of the selling season. :-(

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

This would be a good one to bring back up during the division/selling season. Preventative medicine so to speak:)

Raleigh, NC

no, I'm thinking will they follow the "normal" behavior, or will they continue on while the marketplace is cleared of others?

seems like we've seen they come back year to year with slightly different screen names.

Lebanon, OR

they will continue until it is TOO COLD in all states to plant...last year clear into mid winter.

D

Raleigh, NC

you know what? this reminds of the time I wanted an afghan hound and bought a halfbred one. the guy said it was crossed with a standard poodle. I didn't know any better, paid $100. That mutt was a horror. Then I saw and bought my first real afghan pup - - - we'd been had. they were not even remotely alike. even crossbred Afghans are tall and gangly, not built like a pom/toy poodle. Afghans were hard to come by and very pricey, and I got conned.

Spicer, MN

It's true! 'People' with this mind set have no human feelings. They get a 'rush' & feel good when they can dupe others. I don't believe it's all about the money for there are far more ways to swindle people for bigger bucks! They are low rents and I 'almost' feel sorry for them....nah!

South Hamilton, MA

I don't feel sorry for them at all. Some may be ignorant but crooks work on volume also.

Lebanon, OR

Lucy I am with you, as they KNOW what they are doing to these poor folks who just see a picture and really are just back yard growers (nothing bad about being one, I was for years and years) and they take them to the cleaners and KNOW it and STEAL photos etc
D

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 9:20 PM

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Someone wrote of paying about $2 for an iris bulb I can buy for $.20. Not a bad
profit margin. The chislers have found the right combination to make a lot of money
in a short time.

From the internet info, e-bay has about 85 million users in the U.S. and several
hundred million users if you count the foreign branches. They are not about to
take any serious action to upset that gold mine.

Raleigh, NC

nor are they about to advertise the issue by posting warnings.

South Hamilton, MA

Want ad in local newspaper classified warns people not to send money for shipping & then it will produce the product. Would that e-bay would do the same.

Lebanon, OR

what ticks me off is that Ebay will do NOTHING about clickable links. PROOF of stolen photos.

Yet one time before they said anything about clickable links not being allowed, (many years ago now), I had about 25 ads up and without warning so I could remove it, they deleted all the ads. For those of you that do not do any selling let me tell you it takes TIME to do that many ads.

D

Shepherd, MT

AKA 208Seed4u2009 a new ID account Seeds had to many negetives

Now the bulbdiva
1615 Shoshone St
Boise, ID 83705

leibe42
Kennett, MO

October 10, 2009
06:40 PM

Post #7156384

I believe the same seller may be Highland Seeds. I received what appears to be Dutch Iris Bulbs rather than the bearded iris she promised. Each bulb is labeled with the name of the bearded iris which is pictured in her ad.
She also contacted me off eBay and tried to get me to come to her website.
The thread "Iris Propagation" discusses her.
Her address is listed as:
Highland Seeds
1615 Shoshone Street
Boise, ID

Boise is 294.06 miles from Rigby UD or 4 hours 7 min

Has anybody seen these listing another one of those who probably lost tags and putting names to them

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bugged-Out-Iris-Rhizome-Easy-grow-perenn...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Duck-Crockett-Iris-Rhizome-Easy-grow-per...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Twill-Iris-Rhizome-Easy-grow-perenn...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cracker-Whip-Iris-Rhizome-Easy-grow-pere...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rexford-Road-Iris-Rhizome-Easy-grow-pere...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220488805...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunshine-Trail-Iris-Rhizome-Easy-grow-pe...

Raleigh, NC

humph. it may be that far, but let me tell you (former Idaho Falls resident here), it's darn near high speed Interstate ALL THE WAY and never much traffic. That's also an area of huge families, where they have kin in every nearby town. Bet it's a family member!

too bad. Rigby - That's Rigby Idaho, ID (not UD) is a small mormon college town. nothing much to do there except some great trout and coho salmon fishing nearby, and snow skiing not far away.

Westminster, SC(Zone 7b)

I was the one that paid about 2 dollars for the "Iris Bulbs" Ladies, feast your eyes, One is growing! but I don't know what it is. I had this in a pot and I believe I said it was somewhere. I went and checked on it the other day and this is what I found. I am not upholding them for what they did. I just think this little runt is cute but the whole circumstances is a shame. If someone is first starting out they can quickly get discouraged. Does anyone have a conscience anymore?

Thumbnail by lee955864
Spicer, MN

Lee, you should keep us posted about what this little sprout will become! It kind of looks like a Crocus, Hyacinth, Tulip or ??? Surprises can be fun sometimes!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Mainecoon I just tried those Ebay site and it says they have been removed. HMMM.

Shepherd, MT

They did work I just tried to pay for an item on ebay and I got an error message, they change stuff all the time.

I meant ID my poor keyboard has all the letters missing on it. a friend spilled pop on it then tried to clean up he stickiness with lyme off. I got an iris from her and that is the address it came from Shoshone St in Boise and not not Rigby as it says on her page I got one just to see what they look like the rhizome you can bend and twist, about 7 inches long, a yam color, the one fan has been cut to only an inch about the rhizome and not even 1/2 inch wide.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 8:18 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 8:19 PM

Raleigh, NC

hmmmm. a rhizome you can bend and twist? I've never seen such a thing.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 8:19 PM

Raleigh, NC

oh! I forgot, yeah, my JIs were more flexible.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

pollyk, to answer your question, here are the posting guidelines for all Garden Watchdog reviews:

Quoting:
* Fill out this form only if you are a mail order customer of this company. (Do not post comments on behalf of anyone else.)
* Be sure your remarks are directed to the company and are about your purchase; do not attempt to respond to any other feedback. (Company representatives have a different link to respond to customer reviews.)
* If you are a part of a group-purchase, designate one person in your group to leave a comment about your transaction.
* Review your feedback carefully, as it cannot be changed (only added to) after it is submitted.

We must insist that reviews posted are based on your own personal experience (i.e., a mail order purchase) from a vendor. Otherwise, we would have disgruntled ex-spouses, former employees, business partners, etc. leaving negative reviews. (And every vendor's mother, brother, sister and current spouse leaving positive reviews ;o)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

OK. Thank you Terry.

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 8:20 PM

Westminster, SC(Zone 7b)

Husker, It appears to be some sort of spring bulb. Just not an Iris. If it is an Iris, I will probably flip out. I will keep you all posted.

Raleigh, NC

in that case, Terry, I thank you. if I ever went into plant business full time, my disgruntled ex would have his whole family posting negative reviews!

Shepherd, MT

This message was edited Dec 5, 2009 6:50 AM

Boise, ID(Zone 5b)

Making Memories is a Paul Black iris from 2005 and is on his site.

Central, SC

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 10:35 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Welcome BerthaEmma!

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 8:20 PM

Lebanon, OR

Welcome BerthaEmma

Unfornately to say many times I have along with several other growers have filled complaints with EBAY to no avail at all. I have attached my picture from my webpage along with what she was using at the time, which even had my logo on it, they did nothing. Also it is against all the rules on Ebay to have a clickable link to your webpage and these people do. This has been reported to ebay by several people with the information and all attached, about 60-70 times that I know of...again, Ebay does not care any more as long as they get their big share of money.

I used to sell but now will no longer buy or sell on Ebay. I received things that I did not order such as white grease markers bid and won, was shipped black no reply from seller nothing from Ebay.

It is truly said to see this happening because there are some wonderful hard honest sellers on Ebay.

I am sorry that you have got taken as well as any one else that has gotten taken by these sellers.

Right now there are sellers on there, that at the very bottom of their ad states they are HOLLAND grown, that is what is offered in the mart iris and they should be NOT be selling at this time, because most places in the USA it is getting way too cold to plant and have them live. But HOLLAND grown bulbs will be 90% of the time WRONG.

D

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

This message was edited Dec 4, 2009 9:12 AM

Winnsboro, TX

I've been burned several times by people on ebay. So far I've got what I've ordered from people selling plants you can actually tell the difference in when you first get them. So example all the bromelaids I've ordered appear to be true to name. Most of my daylilies have been true to name. But they are just like irises, you can't tell what you have until they bloom. If you don't keep excellent records on everything you have no ideal what you got from whom. I have been taken by a few daylily sellers but not as many as when dealing with the irises. Brug cuttings were the worst thing I ever bought off ebay. Most of the time what your buying is a small piece/ cutting of a brugmansia around 6 to 12 inches long. Over 75% of all the ones I bought were actually pink NOIDS that they attached and sold as high dollar plants.

I don't mind honest mistakes but when someone is selling me something they know darn good and well is not what they state or show pictures of, I have a big problem. Therefore I don't buy much off ebay any more.

This coming year I plan on buying irises from Dee- Snowpeak, Wild Iris Rows, Cooley's, Nichols, Polly and a couple of others. That way I don't have to put up with all the other garbage and wrong plants that I didn't want to start with.Now with all the stated, who do I need to send money to for a copy of your new catalog?

Marian

South Hamilton, MA

I douby if castalogs are out yet nor websites up. People do have families & holidays.

Lebanon, OR

I doubt I will be doing a catalog this year as 90% of sales come from the webpage which will be updated in mid Feb.

Most catalog's are not even a vision right now as people need time to recoup from the iris season and then time for the holidays for friends and families.

D

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Dee's iris rock btw:lol: As a current addict myself I can attest to that:) I have also purchased from Wild Iris Rows and Greg there is pretty great too. They both offer a great selection with affordable prices for those getting your addiction started until you can't help but spring for those more spendy ones...I fear I'm almost there!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.