White Oxalis

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

I love the looks of this plant and wondered if there are any others out there with experience. The only reference I've been able to find is from "DaddyNature" of Atlanta who wrote...

“First of all -- this is a fantastic and gorgeous plant! In Georgia, it grows all year round and flowers too! How many plants do that, huh?! Second, it is VERY invasive from seed. Third, it is interesting for the kiddies...it is sensitive to touch and will fold its leaves downward when touched by rain and other -- as it does in the evening. The beauty is the fact that, although it's invasive, it's worth the trouble for its hearty growth and cheerful visage.”

I'm not concerned about invasive...for now. I'm more on the impatient side wanting this place to thrive next spring and summer. Remember...I'm a newbie to all this.

Biggest question is the earliest I can plant the bulbs? I'd like to see flowers in mid May and I see by this article (below link) it takes 8-10 weeks from sowing time. Actually I've also seen reference to seeds but maybe I have it confused.

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=40

Also..I want to cover the bank in the photo. Will they multiply during the first year?

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

O.K. did you ever get your oxalis??
Did you get it planted?
I have some and it blooms about year round.
I got plenty if you need some.
RRM

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Haven't gotten around to it yet...waiting for spring...I think. I haven't given it much thought lately, but that can change on a dime.

Year round? Wow. But then you're warmer than I down near Macon.

Plenty if I need some?

Bulbs? I just may take you up on that. I pass through your area when I return from a Florida trip in January.

Very gracious of you!!

Mine are NOT white, mine are pink.
You are welcome Just let me know.
I am above Macon but way below you.
Just end me a note when you are ready.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Ooops, forgot all about that visit.

Got my bulbs from Easy To Grow Bulbs...fast service, five stars...unlike T&M seeds.

I have about 250 to plant but still unsure when to plant. I guess there's no harm in just sticking them in the ground now? They'll germinate when the soil temps are right?

Soon as the ground is workable, you can plant them.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Will do, thanks! Maybe this weekend?

This week end should be great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.