CLOSED: Sure, they're unpopular with some, but so pretty! MIMOSA!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

SORRY - - This offer is now closed . . .

Dec 1, 2009

Mimosa Tree - -aka- - Silk Tree, Pink Siris, Persian Silk Tree

botanical:   Albizia julibrissin

syn:   Mimosa arborea

DG plant info:   http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1764/

Whenever the supply runs out, I will close this thread right away.  Until the thread is closed, yes, I have more Mimosa Tree seeds left and, yes, I will send a packet to you . . .

Each packet will contain at least 12 seeds.

What I need from you:

A self-addressed business-size envelope (SAE) or a self-addressed bubble envelope (SABE) enclosed with 61˘ in LOOSE U.S. postage stampsPlease do not affix the postage to your return envelope.  Thank you.

Mark the lower left corner on the outside of your enclosed return envelope with the words:   ''Mimosa'' just to help me from becoming more confused than I already am.  Thank you.

My postal addy == >   http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/view.php?user=LazLo

If you can't see the DG address exchange, send a DMail for my postal info,
using this link == >   http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pmail.php?q=LazLo   and request my postal mailing address.

A T B T Y !       ~       ŁazŁo     ;--)

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 8:35 PM

Thumbnail by LazLo
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

envy on the way!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Trina - how 'bout i just "combine ship" for ya? ;--)

Thumbnail by LazLo
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

I posted on the other one too I'm sending some Caesalpinia pulcherrima 'Compton' in my envie for you!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

that being the case, Trina, keep your stamps for other uses, alright?

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

They are so pretty. I love them and they remind me of my childhood. They are considered "invasive" here in Georgia.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

so, Nicole, you want some or are ya takin' a pass?

Thumbnail by LazLo
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

But see what I did to a Mimosa tree.
So cute to grow.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

oh, thanks lazlo. They are like weeds here - plenty of seeds. I have several just down the street so I will just enjoy those. :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

. . . last call for mimosa tree seeds . . .

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have several in the back landscape. I cut them to the ground every year. In the spring they burst with new limbs and look like tropics blowing in the wind. I have one behind the Koi pond and it looks magnificent. It was started from a seed. I have a multi-trunk in the front landscape. It is beautiful. I had a chocolate mimosas but the gardeners killed it when they put in a new irrigation line and cut the roots. I paid $149 for that tree two years ago. Landscaper owner said he would pay to replace if it did not come back.

Just be careful where you plant this little seed. It will grow into a monster roots and those roots will move anything in its way to get to water. I love the tree. Just learned not to plant next to an irrigation valve. In about 5 years it will move the valve and then all of a sudden you have a gusher. LOL.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They grow all over the mountains here. I have one on the steep hillside in front of my house by the driveway. I think they are so pretty.

(Zone 7a)

We look forward to those flowers every year - always hummers overhead when we walk beneath.

If I had room, I'd love to try to train a mimosa to about 3' tall, and then allow the top to spread out in a circular flat plain like a table. And I would grow it below our porch, so that we could look down on it in hummingbird time - I hear those hummers flock to a mimosa canopy in amazing numbers.

Just sending y'all a vewwwwy strong hint to try it and then send pictures so I can see the real thing. For now, sigh, I'll just have to imagine.

Karen

I can send you a plant from the woods. They come up
everywhere and you can plant it in a small pot to control its size.
Charleen

(Zone 7a)

Char, thank you for thinking of sending one to me, but I would need whole planets in order to have enough room for everything I can imagine.

Well - I'm exaggerating just a tad. But I really don't have room to 'let 'er rip' with a mimosa, nor could I keep it trained.

I'll just keep admiring the ones we pass by for now.

Thanks again for the thought, though.

Anytime, girl. I'll come up with something. Did you see mine, I had, yhat's it up there with the little pumpkin bell.
Bet it doesn't stay little like that next Spring. It will grow out of that.
Charleen

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Mimosas are so pretty, but I'm scared of their invasive tendencies. I wonder if keeping one in a large container would work to keep it on the small side and not spread like crazy... or would it just get rootbound and die?

You may have to carefully keep it root pruned and top as well.
That is what I am going to try with this one.

Okay, I guess it can't hurt to try... (famous last words... LOL)

(Zone 7a)

Char - very healthy looking mimosa seedling - looks like you're growing it as a bonsai. Pony, I don't know anything about bonsai culture, but DG might have a Bonsai forum - I have seen a beech forest grown in a small bonsai pot - awesome.

Next thing ya know, Lazlo will have us all cultivating bonsai :)

I don't want to go so hardcore as to bonsai the tree, just.... dwarf it a little. hehe.

With Lazlo's wonderful seed, that is enitrely possible.
He has the nost fabulous seeds.
Charleen

mimosa would make a pretty bonsai tree.

(Zone 7a)

With Lazlo's seeds, we wouldn't have to stop at one plant in a pot. Or a forest in a pot. I was just bowled over when I discovered that villages were done in a pot. Let me explain.

Once upon a time (1603), Tokugawa Iyeyasu gained control of Japan, and a Tokugawa shogun ruled Japan for the next 300 years or so until 1867. That period of time is known as the Japanese Edo period, particularly distinguished by the flourishing of the arts.

Well! The Shogun established the center of his government in the east in Edo (now known as Tokyo), and required all the lords (daimyo) to visit him once a year - the center of their government was in Kyoto in the west.

The main road along which the daimyo traveled from west to east and back again was called the Tokaido Road, and there were approximately 53 rest stops (stations) along the way. Over the centuries, many artists did series of woodcuts that depicted those stations, and one of the most famous ones was by Ando Hiroshige (1797 - 1858) (see http://www.hiroshige.org.uk/ )

In the 1840s, Yoshishige made a bonsai for each station along the Tokaido Road - "villages in a pot".

The beauty of Hiroshige's woodcuts and Yoshishige's bonkei of the 53 Stations along the Tokaido Road just stuns me. For an example of what I'm talking about, let's take Station 16 at Kambara. Following are two links so you can compare how Hiroshige and Yoshishige explicated Kambara in their respective art forms --

Station 16 at Kambara by Hiroshige I -
-- Click on http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/hiroshige_ando.html
-- Scroll down to Pictures from Image Archives, and then scroll down to University of Michigan SILS Art Image Browser and click on that.
-- Alrighty, you should now be here - http://www.si.umich.edu/Art_History/demoarea/htdocs/browser/Artist/Artist__H/HIROSHIGE_Hiroshige/ . Click on that.
-- You should now be here - http://www.si.umich.edu/Art_History/demoarea/htdocs/browser/Artist/Artist__H/HIROSHIGE_Hiroshige/ . Go to Row 2, and click on the snow scene that is 6 images from the left, and click on it again to expand it.
-- By now you should have arrived at the scan which is here - http://www.si.umich.edu/Art_History/UMMA/1948/1948_1.123.jpg . I do not know of any other scan that captures the shading and mood of this woodcut better than this one.

Now compare Hiroshige's woodcut of the Kambara station along the Tokaido road to Yoshishige's bonkei here - http://www.ukiyoe-gallery.com/detail-b327.htm

These woodcuts and bonkei's were done in all seasons - some with flowering orchards.

The main source of this post was here - http://www.hiroshige.org.uk/hiroshige/tokaido/tokaido_road.htm . Any mistakes in history or terminology are all mine.

I hope y'all have fun with this. I like to collect images like these on my hard drive for their beauty and the way they celebrate flowers and gardens and the passing seasons. Isn't that why we garden?

Karen

Thank you for that bit of interesting story. I love seeing this kind of stuff. It is very common with the asian to do the four season. Many of them loves to garden, especially container garden, because spaces are limited over there. While I was in Vietnam, I could buy watercolor paintings of the street scene with all four seasons. Also, when I was later reunited with my mother in the US, she brought over a beautiful gift, a custom made gold bracelet with flowers of the four seasons of Vietnam.

(Zone 7a)

Lili - I wouldn't be surprised if some of Lazlo's seeds' predecessors originated from somewhere in Asia - so many do well over here. And I'd love to know more about Vietnamese gardening and art. Do you know which flowers are represented in the bracelet? I would not show pictures of the bracelet on the internet, but it would be interesting to know which Vietnamese flowers marked the different seasons - who knows? maybe some are in Lazlo's mix or his gardens :)

Here are a couple of flower calendars, one for China and one for Japan - oops - I'll have to come back with this - have run out of time for now

I love to get Lazlos mixes. Will be planting them this Spring.
That's where I got my fuzzy MG, that is up!
Charleen

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I've been chopping a mimosa back every fall for years, it is right by my patio and I get so many compliments on the foliage blending in around my summer plants. I don't think you can kill them. It gets to about 4 feet tall by the end of summer, plus it doesn't bloom so I don't get the mess.

I'll have to look, but one of them is the Mickey Mouse plant, very popular during Lunar New Year
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/89395/

I think one of them is bamboo. I'll have to look and see what the other two are.

When I get a chance later tonight, I'll scan the watercolor for you to see. It is so pretty. I bought tons of art when I was there. They also have beautiful handmade cards for 10/$1.00. I bought a bunch and framed them for art. They were also done in ink and watercolor.

(Zone 7a)

Lili, I did a little googling for flowers related to Vietnamese festivals. I found kumquat fruit and peach flowers associated with the Lunar New Year. It would be great to find a Vietnamese artist's rendition of those and/or the Mickey Mouse flower.

Am running out of steam, so will try again another time.

When you can, I'd love to see the watercolor.

Apologies to Lazlo for hijacking his thread - Lili, you and I need to find a festival associated with mimosa to get ourselves back on subject...?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

SORRY - - This offer is now closed . . .

Dec 1, 2009

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.