Black Coral Pea as an annual?

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

I am intrigued by the flowers of Black Coral Pea, Kennedia nigracans, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54270/ . I am wondering how long it takes from seed to bloom, if I can start it inside in late winter to grow as an annual. Or does it even bloom it's first year from seed? I can't find a lot of specific growing info, and what i found is mostly about growing it in it's native land (Australia). Annie's Annuals has it listed as perennial in zones 3-11, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

Eupora, MS

The link at Dave's you posted said Z8a and up.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if this is something that a lot of people have grown--so if you don't find someone who's grown it and can answer your question, what I would suggest is starting it in the winter, but then keep it in a pot vs planting in the ground. That way if it doesn't bloom the first year you can bring it inside for the winter and keep it over for another year.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

That's my thought. I found another site selling the seeds that says zone 6. I'm getting the impression that no one's really sure yet. Time for a bit of experimentation. The seeds are about $1 each, a lot for seeds, but cheap for plants ;)

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, and BTW, I'm getting these seeds from the Summer Hills Seeds co-op going on as we speak. They have lots of fascinating stuff.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I've killed this!.....twice :( Not sure why either time but I would guess improper watering. I know others in the area that have tried and I don't know of any that actually had it blooming.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Funny Lynn I have killed this one twice too.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

:o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.