overwintering container grown ES?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I have over a dozen ES's in containers. I housed them last year with my tropicals for overwintering. This year there is just no room. It;s to late in the season for planting so I need to improvise. I have the big 20 gallon buckets with rope handles that DH cut the bottoms out of. I thought of maybe placing a couple of plants in each bucket and filling with shredded leaves for the winter. Will this be enough protection here in zone 6B?

Dott

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Can you plunge the pots in the ground in an out of the way spot? I often overwinter containerized JM's this way.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I have an unheated porch I use to winter potted tender perennials. A garage would be the same idea.

The porch stays warmer than outside but but it still remains cold enough for dormancy. You do have to water occasionally as they don't get the rain and snow outside plants do.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I thought about plunging a few in the ground on the east south side of the house but there's not enough room for all of them. Most of the bare ground here is planted with perrenials.

I have no garage and the back porch here is warm enough to keep my light stands and some tropicals on so it's full as well. You'd think I would quit buying plants I don[t have plans for.

Thank you for the quick replies.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Snapple, I have overwinter Hosta's and sedums in containers on the ground with no protection but I know they can take the cold and I have rarely lost any even with lows in the single digits. What do you think the chance is with plunging the ES's and completely covering them with shredded leaves for survival?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Endless Summer should be just fine. I have a large one about 5 years old that is growing straight in the ground and gets absolutely no winter protection what so ever. None. Last year we hit -17 here for several days in a row. It gets killed back to the ground every year and comes back every spring to a height and width of about 4'. A side dressing of superphosphate early each spring brings on a heavy bloom. They're tough plants as far as a hydrangea goes. But, they do need superphosphate to get them to bloom well. So plunge the pot and don't worry. Just feed it well next season.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry I hadn't had time to get back here. We buried them in their pots on the warmest side of the house.

I have 9 planted in the ground as well and have done wonderfully except for blooming. I will deffinately do the superphosphate in the spring.

Thanks again for all your help.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Let spring come soon!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.