Moving...want to take iris with me

Sulphur, LA(Zone 9a)

We are going to be moving in a few months and I'd like to take thems with me. Can I take them from my bed outside and put them in pots until time to plant them again?

Thanks

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

How many are a few months? If you move in early spring to a climate less than
frigid, just keep your rhizomes clean and dry until the weather permits replanting.
Irises will survive months of cool storage without any harm. Some say drying
time makes them more prolific when replanted. Just do not let them become
damp and moldy.

South Hamilton, MA

I would suggest the potting technique

Raleigh, NC

what kind? beardless want to travel wet, bearded ok to travel dry.

Gainesville, TX

when are u moving? to what zone?

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I have dug up tb irises in the summer/fall and left them out of the ground for an entire winter and they still survive. I don't recemmend it but they are tough!

South Hamilton, MA

Also not to be done in colder areas where the roots can freeze.

Sulphur, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone for the advice.
We are moving about 5 mins from where we are now. The land is already ours so could I just go ahead and plant them and later if I want to move them I should be ok (I hope).

Thanks

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

It was in MI that I left them out of the ground for a whole winter.

Gainesville, TX

moving in LA you can plant them anytime long as they stay on the dry

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

LeDoux, you never did say if they were bearded iris, or Lousianas or what. Makes a big difference. I didn't think too many peple grew bearded in Louisiana.

Gainesville, TX

yes..that makes a BIG difference.........but, Polly, beardeds are grown quite successfully in La

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Not according to Evey (BlissfulGarden). She says in the Baton Rouge area they have quite a bit of trouble growing them. She did a study on which ones would grow well there, in case you didn't see it, you might be interested. I know Sulpher is on the west side of LA, and that may make a difference, but it's in the south of the state. Even south of Baton Rouge, I think.

Southern LA has such heat and humidity, I would imagine it's a true challange to grow bearded.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1020452/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.