CLOSED: Is this just another Ruby-throated Hummingbird?

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I only have horrible pictures of this guy. He's been around the last few days. He has so much rust coloring that I'm just wondering if he's really a ruby-throated hummer.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's another bad pic.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Sandusky, OH

On your 2nd pic it could be a female or juvenile Rufous (according to my field guide).

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I wondered. We do get Rufous here sometimes. Here's another pic, but it's very similar to the first one. I should try to find the photos that I took the other day. They were terrible too, but showed a rust color on its rump. It also seemed to have a shiny bronze spot on its throat but I didn't get a picture of that.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, looks good for Rufous; Allen's is also a possibility. I've brightened one of the pics, below.

If it sticks around, try to get some more pics, ideally one showing the tail fanned out.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

If i don't get a picture of it, what should I be looking for on the fanned out tail? I don't have either Rufous or Allen's in my bird pic since they are not common in this area.

Thanks!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Shoot, I just looked out the window and two hummers were fighting. I hope my unusual visitor didn't get driven away. Come back here and fan your tail long enough for me to focus and click. Is that too much to ask?

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I have just about made myself crazy trying to get a fanned tailed pic of this hummer. She only comes to the feeder when it's shaded. Then she sits way up in the tree in the shade. I only saw her fan her tail once, and of course, I didn't get the shot. I didn't get any details with the naked eye either b/c all I saw was a flash of red. Even though she doesn't come to the feeders often, she's very aggressive chasing away sparrows and warblers. There was another hummer too, so I hope I'm still photographing the right one!

Here's as close as I got.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Perrysburg, OH

Look at the rufous on the sides of pictures #2 and #4. That's not a typical Ruby-Throat feature.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Yep, she's either a female Rufous or an Allen's. Still haven't gotten the fanned tail shot to tell which one she is. I think Rufous though b/c she dives in a "J" form.

She's still here this morning. It's suppose to get down to freezing on Saturday and we might even get snow. She'll probably realize she's not in Mexico and leave me. I was hoping she'd still be here when my parents visit. We'll see.

Sticking around or a month, means she's very likely going to stay for the winter now. They can cope with quite severe cold, if the feeder is kept filled - someone (I fear I forget who) posted this pic on this forum a few years ago . . .

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

That's so funny and a relief!

I tried to get a pic of her today. I can't get one single good picture of her. I just want one even if I don't get the fanned tail. This was the best from this morning. Maybe when that vine freezes the camera will actually focus on the feeder but then there will be ugly dead vine behind it. It's always somethin'!

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Sandusky, OH

Resin do you recall where that photo was taken? I get a kick out of seeing that picture. lol

Dug out the details . . . it was in Lexington, Kentucky, in the 2003-2004 winter - I remembered, it wasn't on this forum (I wasn't on DG in 2004!). It came through a -20°C night, a day when it didn't get above -7°C, several heavy snowfalls, and an ice storm, all with no problem, and finally departed on spring migration on 24 March. They're tough!

Lots more pics of it here: http://home.insightbb.com/~bstaib1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html (click on 'Next 5' at the end of each page to see all of them)

Resin

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

With those temps, I wonder how they kept the nectar from freezing. I guess it's against the window, so that would keep it warm. I don't think it will be cold enough here to freeze the nectar in the feeders. I think I'll put out fresh warm nectar before dawn just to be sure. She shows up at the feeders when it's still almost dark outside.

Sandusky, OH

Wow! Much tougher than I expected! Thx for the link Resin!

Think they had to take the nectar indoors at night (otherwise it would've been a rock-hard block of ice at -20 . . . that's colder than a household deep freezer!) and put it out again at first light.

Resin

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hummer_girl had one hang around most of the winter one year too. She's a bit south of St. Louis in Jackson, MO. Seemed like she carried her feeder in at dusk and put it out at dawn. Climate very similar to Lexington. (I'm in between the two and a touch further south, but my hummers have all vamoosed by Nov 1) Hummer experts say you can rig a light bulb under the feeder to keep them from freezing, but I've never had the occasion to try it.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm already seeing snowflakes. This morning they upped the prediciton from "chance of snow" to "possibility of 3-5 inches!" I just hate it that all my plants are going to die for one night of freezing temps.

You used to be able to wrap christmas lights around plants to keep them warm, but now, they've made lights that don't heat up b/c they're safer. Total bummer for gardeners!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

She's still around. It's been tough keeping the feeders unfrozen during this freak artic blast. Still haven't gotten a decent picture. This morning my camera wouldn't focus on anything, so my photo taking days may be over. Here are a couple of shots from this morning b/c I'm now wondering if she is a he.

She has a lot more rufous coloring on the sides of her breast and back. In the beginning, the rufous coloring was only visible when she was flying. Now, it's clearly visible when sitting still.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Lots of rufous feathers on the back too.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Norman, OK

A lady in Edmond, OK has had a Rufous at her feeder. She has rigged up a warmer to keep the nectar from freezing and wrapped the bird's nesting place with a heat tape. I haven't heard a report since this last brutal cold front, there she has a video on You Tube from Jan. 2. http://www.youtube.com/user/okiebirdnerd#p/a/u/2/C_1qthz604I

A professional visited her and banded the bird. Out of range birds occur, probably more often than we realize since the chances of observation are slim.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I just took the dogs for a walk and I swear I heard two other hummers. I hope there are feeders at those houses b/c everything that usually blooms in the winter is either dead or not blooming.

I wrapped one feeder in a cloth napkin. That worked. Two others I took in the house at night and then a fourth one didn't freeze at all which was weird b/c it is identical to one that froze solid. I figured that out of the four feeders she would at least be able to feed from one. She goes to all four though. I guess if there were plants blooming, she'd go to different plants.

Good he's surviving . . . and yes, he's a boy; and with that much red on his back, definitely a Rufous Hummer, as Allen's doesn't get that red on its back.

They like to visit several feeders so their location is less predictable, makes it less easy for a predator to get them.

Resin

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Whohoo! We finally have a verdict and I can close the thread. One of his feeders just got converted into a warbler feeder after I watched a Pine Warbler try very hard to stick his bill in the little hole. He still has three other feeders, and I saw him drinking from the tiny flowers on the rosemary, so I guess there is still one natural food source left.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.