Who bloomed for you in '09?

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Thought it'd be nice to take a little poll & find out how your hibs performed this past year. Such as...

1) who bloomed the most for you?
2) what was your favorite bloom?
3) biggest bloomer?

deb

Thumbnail by davis1676
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

1) "High Voltage" has bloomed the most for me in 2009
2) "Toucan Tango" is my favorite bloom (sentimental reasons)
3) "High Voltage" has consistently had the largest sized blooms.

Jon

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

My bloomers were:
1) "Black Jack" had the most consistent blooms for me, often throwing doubles!
2) "Dragon's Fire" is the most beautiful bloom I have.
3) My biggest bloom was probably "Fifth Dimension"

Jon, your "High Voltage" is on my want list and with all the fuss from dee about "Toucan Tango", well I need to see what that looks like again. (uh oh)
Thanks for joining in Jon!

High Voltage was the first hibiscus I bought back in 2007. Glad to hear you have a "Fifth Dimension" Debbie. That silvery glistening center on that bloom is just great. It's quite unique.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My double red Cecelia bloomed best for me...up to 9 blooms at one time. Still blooming
a lot even with all the rain.
My favorite is Love Pat.
My Morning Star has the largest bloom for me. When it blooms its regular bloom.

Judy

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Morning Star? got a picture of her blooming Judy?

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

for me, aside from my garden varities which are always in bloom

most blooms: Rum Runner
favorite: Strawberry Cream
biggest: Strawberry Cream

Strawberry Cream was my first large bloom CV hibiscus and the first bloom on it was breathtaking. It is definitely a sentimental favorite. Unfortunately it is not faring too well these days and may need to be replaced :-(

Thumbnail by guamsorbit
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

See why your favorite is Strawberry Cream...just stunning. What is its problem? And, can you take a cutting & root it during the faze that Wilfred has told us about? Starts tomorrow & it might just work. Have read where the people who do a lot of hybridizing love to get cuttings out to a lot of people. Then, if their original dies they have a source to get it back.
"We care, we share" is the motto of the Hib club in Baton Rouge, La. Makes sense to me.

Judy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This was the one I really thought was Painted Lady when I bought it last July. Your cutting was taken to the PO yesterday. Think I'm losing it. Thought I had already posted this pix. Hmmmm! A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Judy

Thumbnail by trickiwoo

unfortunately Judy I'm not sure any part of the plant is salvageable at this point, makes me sad too but I haven't given up yet. Tomorrow is the next phase of the moon, huh? Maybe I should start cutting too...not sure if I'm quite ready just yet though...

You should give it a try Dee. Just go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a small bottle of rooting hormone. Wilfred's instructions were easy to follow and at this point you have nothing to lose. In fact, you should try a Strawberry Cream cutting and perhaps two or three others from your other favorite hibs. Your bound to get some that root for you. It's a good feeling when you see that one/some of them "took". It gives you confidence for the next time you want to try it.

Jon

Oh, I have tried and have had some success its just I was planning on sending the cuttings out to others who wanted some and I'm not ready to pack them all up and get them to the post office. The last thing I need right now is 2 or 3 more of each plant. that may just put me over the edge :-) Such pressure...

LOL. Too funny. How the times have changed!!! Remember when you and I were talking about keeping our collections "under control":-)

It's a sickness...of course, that doesn't mean I'm not always on the lookout for different CVs, just don't need multiples of all of them especially when I can make others happy with the extra wood :-)

I know exactly what you mean. Always "on the prowl" for a new one myself. Just more selective these days.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

heres one i have that bloomed yesterday. ID unknown..

1)Luna Rose (hibiscus moscheutos)
2) Sunny Wind (hibiscus rosa-sinensis)
3) Luna Rose (hibiscus moscheutos)

This message was edited Nov 7, 2009 6:04 PM

Thumbnail by smurf428
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hope someone knows what your flower is smurf as I think I have that one.

Judy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Dee, how is Strawberry Cream doing? Did you get some cuttings from it? I'm taking cuttings from ROS too. Going to do some Crepe Myrtle too.

Judy

Poor Strawberry Cream is not doing well. No life on the sticks...but I haven't given up completely. It didn't help that the pot got dug up by raccoons.

Judy,

Did yout get my email? I received two boxes from you...WOW.

d

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

dee, did you dig your strawberry cream up yet to see if you could see any culprits at the roots? I really love that one & hope it makes it for you. Judy, the last one you posted is beautiful, love the detail.

I've repotted SC and I'm crossing my fingers...sigh

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, Dee, I'm way behind with my email. Will look for it tonight. Glad you got your boxes.
Been doing my "Wilfred thing". Trying it with Crepe Myrtle & ROS. If they make it y'all better want some!!! Dee, did the SC roots look healthy? That is such a pretty flower & I hope it makes it. Bad to lose a favorite. Deb, I sent you a cutting of the last one I posted.
Going to check tomorrow & see if I can take cuttings off the ones I got from Tried & True. Couldn't resist buying them but our brutal, dry summer was not the best time for new plants. They are just now looking really great. My nickname should be "Just One More." Got the double D's some purple fountain grass too.

Judy

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Judy, you're the best, you've got mail headed your way.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

My Nightmare and Irish Spring both were consistent bloomers. Lat year it was Erin Rachel, hands down.
My favorite....a tie between Nightmare and my own Pukin' Happy.
Biggest - Oliver, followed closely by June's Dragon, which I only got one bloom from this year.
I need to cut several back this winter since they didn't have many branches, therefore not many blooms: Sweetheart, Oliver and June's Dragon. When I got them, they were even less branching, so hopefully, by next year, I'll get more blooms from all of them.
I also lost several hibiscus last winter because of the consistently colder temps: Fifth Dimension, Gypsy Music, El Capitolio (both a red and a peach). I put solar panels on my greenhouse a week ago to run my heater from. That way I can get the Greenhouse warmer with out p***ing off the DH over the elec bill..... Even if the solar panel run heater doesn't run enough, it can supplement. OF if the temps never got below 30F, THAT would work too!
Barb

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow, the solar panel sounds wonderful Barb! Pls keep me updated on your success with it. So is Pukin' Happy you're own creation, I'd love to see a pic of it, sounds wild. Actually want to see pics of all of them. I'll check & see if you've posted somewhere else on the forum. deb

Barb, I'm curious...is the name Pukin' Happy a typo or is that the real name?

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

i'm hopin she says pukin...don't ruin it for me!

LOL deb!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I will let y'all know how the solar panel works out.
It is Pukin Happy, 'cause that's how I felt when I actually grew it from seed and it lived long enough to bloom! I have two plants and the blooms are different.
It's a cross between The President and Erin Rachel.
I'll post one here and the other in another post. This one is very close to Erin Rachel, but the petals are smooth, not ruffled.
Still-Happy Barbie

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Here's the other. Much more orange, but still smooth petals.
Both are the same size bloom as Erin. The bushes themselves are pretty upright, like their Father, President.

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Both are very pretty, Barbie. Congratulations on 2 very different but very pretty blooms.

Judy

Pukin' Happy!!! Never heard that phrase before but now I'll never forget it :-) Congrats!

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

I love it! The pictures are great, love the colors. Is the first picture Pukin' Happy? LOL Cause if I'd of grown her from seed, I believe I'd be pukin' happy too!!! ;-) Congrats on both, great job.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Both are from the same pod. Father: President (garden variety single red) and Mother: Erin Rachel.
These two are much more similar than two other siblings (Irish Spring and Nightmare), parents: Yucka x Roz Merritt. I bought both this past Spring and have been, for fun, crossing them with each other.
Nightmare: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/171278/
Irish Spring: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/171275/
So far, I've got one pod, with ONE seed......
Barb

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

That's right, if the blooms stay that different, I will have to pick a different name for one of them. I think I'll keep Pukin' Happy for the first one, and rename the more orange one.
Decisions...decisions.....
Barb

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL Keep me posted to their progress. That is so cool.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

punkin' should be kept for both flowers cause its great.. just change the happy to something else
pukin' eye
pukin' hole

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

My best were:

Red El Capitalio
Painted Lady
Butterfly.

Only now that it's cooled down have some of the others begun to bloom. I got my first Gator Pride bloom in several months yesterday.

Gator Pride is a nice one AuntAnne. Do you have Hibiscus "Texas Aggie"...being that you live in College Station?

Jon

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

No I don't. Shame on me! Is is a tropical or hardy?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.