Toad Lily Seed?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Is this a viable seed pod from my toad lily (tricyrtis lasiocarpa)? It was where a bloom was a few days ago, and when I was just out inspecting the plant, this fell off.

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

This concern over seeds may be all for not ... I'd tried to root a couple cuttings for someone last Wednesday, and low and behold ... 5 days later!

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

looks like a surviver

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm surprised it roots so avidly this time of year!
Now, what are you going to do with it? Plant is out, or overwinter in garage?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

The ones I posted above are going to a DGer. I did take a couple more cuttings though to add to my own yard for next year though when I saw how easily/quickly they root. All I did was take the cuttings and put them in water. They are sitting inside the house by a sunny window.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm going to try that.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

From what I read on taking the cuttings, they need to have a node or two, and I made sure those were under water, but the cup isn't all that full either (to keep the leaves from rotting in the water). Good luck with it.

I also rooted some gardenia cuttings the same way; just planted two of those up last night in cups with soil and put them in front of a sunny window as well, and have a couple more cuttings sprouting roots now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

wow

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Experimentation teaches us a great deal of things we may not have otherwise known,
Thank you for sharing your success.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2009 10:35 AM

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

My toads are done for the year but am looking forward to trying this next year! Thanks for posting this.

~Sharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.