Alpines in November

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I was over at a friends house yesterday. Hideko had a pot of Alium thunbergii 'Ozawas' blooming inside. The scapes were almost twice as long as normal, but still a very nice display.

This is Ozawas at our MN arboretum rock garden now.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Cerastium alpinum always looks so cute at this time of year (or in spring). I suppose it is supposed to look like this ALL season, but our warm and more humid summers produce growth that is more open. What does yours do in the summer, Alta?

Rick

Thumbnail by Leftwood
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

A very pretty allium constrating beatifully with those autumn leaves. I fear I have lost mine.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi, Rick. Cerastium alpinum ssp. lanatum stays pretty compact all through the season here. I took a picture of it recently (hard to take pics these days - the short days limit the opportunity to weekends only!) It looks pretty ratty now though, due to having been covered in snow through a week or so in October and subjected to many freezes. I think this one would do better for me in better drainage than it's in... I may be able to move it to a new spot in spring, amongst rocks and gravel.

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's my only offering for November... one sad, frost-burnt, little Colchicum 'Waterlily'! (A very unseasonally cold and snowy October cheated us of fall colour and fall bloom this year. Dang!)
Rick, would you like seeds of Penstemon whippleanus? Let me know... I probably still have your address, assuming it hasn't changed.

Thumbnail by altagardener

Penstemon whippleanus? Oh yes. I always like to compare different seed sources. I received some from Rannveig this fall too, so if you if you have better uses for the seed, don't feel like I really need them. I'll send you a dmail with my (same) address.

Galanthophile, I wish I could send you seeds from Ozawas, but it blooms so late that I never even get immature seed pods.

Neglected 2 year seedlings of var. lanatum.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Allium thunbergii Ozawa at work..not bad for mid-November

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and a dwarf form of thunbergii also at work

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and Gentiana 'Kingfisher' is still holding on

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.