Planting?? Clumps of 3 heel/toe heels in heels out??

Enid, OK

I am finally replanting my irises today. Preparing soil has been delayed by rain but now I am ready.
I read somewhere to plant in clumps of three. How do you arrange the rhizomes? Does it really matter?? I would really like to get this right the first time.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

With 3 I plant in Y shape, toes in. I've also done triangle, toes in; but I like the Y shape best.

Enid, OK

Thanks - I will give the y a whirl.

Gainesville, TX

leave room for some blues, I"ll try to get them out this week, they are drying now

Enid, OK

Oh, trust me, I have tons of room for iris. I made my bed about 30' long and about 4' wide. I don't have enough to fill that baby up - but next year....

South Hamilton, MA

Whichever formation you use, remember to have them planted in the same direction. They will walk away from each other, leaving a gap in the middle if you don't do so.

Enid, OK

Oh, glad you mentioned the walking, I would have never thought of that. I tend to get into what I am doing and forget to pay attention to the tiny details like which way I am planting - I will pay close attention!!

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

what do mean by "walking away"?

Danielle

South Hamilton, MA

ok since irises bloom off next yrs increase they will move in the direction in which the increases appear. Some are fairly static but others with a more vigorous increase pattern will move faster. So if one is planted so it moves to the left & others to the right there will be a space where the mother rhizomes were originally planted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.