Orchids of November

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

boojum, when I click on the link it wants a user name and password....

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Shoot!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Another great haul Kathy!

Thanks, Todd.
I may hafta put these on Picasa if Photoworks wont let folks link to my pics. Here's a taste of the show.

Thumbnail by boojum
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Kathy, very nice purchases! I love the Masdie! Pretty Catt x!
My Chiloschista lunifera has a smidgeon of what looks like new growth but no spike yet.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is a preview of my Sigmatostalix/Ornithophora radicans, I will post another picture when the spikes are fully open.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2009 6:13 PM

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

A view from the side - it walked out of its coconut shell a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

A look at a spike cut-out

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

One of the little birds -

Thumbnail by RUK

Great specimen! My small version has a few spikes but none are open yet. I got mine after seeing yours 2 years ago.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Very unusal Den., Ursula, in Dendrobium prenticei. Unusual thick leaves and interesting flower. Great Minis everyone. Can these also be grown in pots or do they need mounting? Have been interested in trying a couple of mounted plants, but not sure that my growing area is appropriate for them.

I'm interested in getting an Ornithophora as well. Had seen one when I visited a local Greenhouse (yes, I came away with four new plants), but wasn't as impressed enough with it's flower as I had been with others that I've seen on these posts. Actually, it was wanting an Ornithophora that prompted me to go to the nursery to begin with. And that was probably not a good idea for me now that I've seen their two HUGE greenhouses crammed full of plants of all types, sizes and prices.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks.
Stu, I would think the Dendrobium prenticei is not suitable for pot-culture due to its creeping habit and fairly slow growth. But I could imagine a rack/vertical shelf with lots of small mounted Orchids hanging from that.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

What a wonderful start to the month everyone.

I must tell you about the fabulous day I had yesterday. Harriet, a gardening buddy of mine, accompanied me to Apopka where we met Laurel and husband Steve. What a delight! We then toured the orchid greenhouses together and a worm farm where I bought another bottle of worm tea. I've been spraying my orchids with it once a week to see if it really will curb fungus and insects and organically fertilize as well. It is suppose to be full of good bacteria. The day would have been perfect except the worm farm dog bit Steve on the hand causing quite a gash. I'm anxiously awaiting news on how he's doing.

At my favorite wholesale orchid place, I picked up three more vandas, three large flowering catts and a Spathoglottis for a grand total of $68. The vandas were not in flower but I'll show one here so you can see the size. The three I bought are:

Asc. Crownfox Golden Dawn
V. Manuvadee X V. Coerulea
V. Natchaya Beauty

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is the Spathogolttis plicatta.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is one of the catts, Blc Ploenpit Golden Delight X Slc Kauai Starbright. The fragrance is out of this world!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Blc Haadyai Delight 'Bangprom Gold'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And the last one is C. Tiffin Bell X Blc Ewand McDonald.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Just before lunch we stopped at Chapman orchids where I fell in love with Lc Nippon 'Livinza'. The one I bought is in spike with two large buds. I can't wait to show you the flower.

After lunch Laurel and Steve left for Miami and I've heard they made it just fine. Now to see to Steve's hand.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jim,
I am glad you all had fun and I sure hope the dog bite doesn't turn out serious.
I love the Blc Ploenpit Golden Delight x. Such a gorgeous color and the scent must surely be a bonus. The C. Tiffin Bell x is very pretty too. Good looking Lc Nippon!
About the Blc Haadyai Delight 'Bangprom Gold' - hmmm :-)

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

My Lc Irene Finney Fall flowering look alike/NOID finished opening 5 spikes!
We have a show!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

a different perspective

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

a closer look

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

4 of the 5 spikes are a bit crowded in the center of the plant and there is 1 spike on lateral growth.

Thumbnail by RUK

OMG, these catts are amazing. What a show Ursula!
And that price is ridiculously low, Jim. I would be there every week. Good thing I live in MA!!!
A few new flowers are open here (little dainty things!). Pics tomorrow.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi all! It was indeed a fun day with Jim and Harriet but for poor Steve's trauma. He was reaching down to pat the dog who has a history of biting. The owner says the dog only does this when people try to pat her. Well, geez! Took half an hour to stop the bleeding cause his hand was torn between two fingers, and punctured top and palm. I disinfected and packed his hand last night and sent him of to the doctor for antibiotics today. It really needed to be stitched. Of course, as life goes, we are here to work on the house.
I'll post pictures of the new babies in a day or two when the dust settles. Jim bought lots of floofy ones while I unearthed just a few of less showy specimens.
L

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Ursula, I think Laurel has put me into your floofy category. :>) Also, please expand on your comment about Blc Haadyai Delight 'Bangprom Gold' . I was going to give that one for a birthday present to another one of my gardening buddies but you have my worried.

Kathy, I would love to see you decked out in your buying shoes at this Apopka greenhouse. Laurel and I discussed it and she thinks you would have to rent a room.

Jim

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jim, floofy is good around here :-)
About the 'Bangprom Gold' - I am just not smitten with the shape and coloration of the lip and the little cuts on the upper curve of the petals. But that is just a personal thing! I wouldn't worry!

Can someone let me know if this URL opens to the Tower Hill pics? Thanks.
http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/album/AE89FB1384E0?source=pw980

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes it does, Kathy. No problem.

Jim

Great, Photoworks almost lost a customer. It took two days for the answer to getting the URL. They used to print it on the share page but now I have to send myself an e-mail invite to get it. They're not thinking "social media" yet!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Love these large catts...wish I had the room and light levels to grow them properly.

Remember how I said I was done buying? Never believe a word I say!
I just ordered up Sophronitis cernua, a blooming Den. rigidum, a Den. prenticei NB, Phal. wilsonii 1-2 years from bloom, and Laelia milleri!! They were all on my wishlist!!

Masd. pachyura.

Thumbnail by boojum

Whole plant.

Thumbnail by boojum

Cattleya forbesii.

Thumbnail by boojum

Close. I love this one.

Thumbnail by boojum

Aerangis citrata.

Thumbnail by boojum

Close.

Thumbnail by boojum

Den aberrans.

Thumbnail by boojum

A surprise bloom. Masd.Hampshire Prolific.

Thumbnail by boojum

Love those spots.

Thumbnail by boojum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.