What do Barbara Harrington Clematis & Christmas Cactus have

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

What do Barbara Harrington & a Christmas Cactus have in common?

Would you believe, they're both trying to bloom right now.....

I'm in Maryland. My Barbara Harrington Clematis has been "missing" all spring/summer. I thought I'd have to replace it.

Low and behold, last week a shoot came climbing up the trellis. It's really trying to bloom, but with the weather getting colder, I don't know if the buds will open..... It's funs to watch.

And of course, my Christmas cactus is an early bird.....

Uncanny that they'd both be trying to blossom at the same time....

janice

This message was edited Oct 31, 2009 1:56 AM

Thumbnail by wallis104
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My Barbara Harrington hasn't stopped blooming for months. She is full of blooms and buds. My mother's Christmas Cactus is huge and just stunning. I didn't take very good care of my CC this year and have 2 or 3 that look pretty bad. Barbara H is a great bloomer for this area. I covered her with a tarp during 2 hard freezes and uncovered during the day. She is the only one still blooming but Huldine just stopped a few days ago. I have roses budding too.

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

Janice, that clematis looks great. It certainly got a lot of buds in a short time - your daytime temps must still be pretty high. I would love to see it when they open up, and it looks like they might.

Dathen

Baton Rouge, LA

Janice, it sure does look like sweet Barbara is trying make amends for being a "now-show" for the spring party! Please post photos if the blooms burst out... I bet it would be quite a contrast to the fall scene surrounding her. =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.