Will a lean-to GH rot my siding?

Molalla, OR

Hi guys! this is my first post(great site, lots of info!) and I really want to build a lean-to green house. My biggest concern is that the humidity from the greenhouse will damage the portion of the house that it is attached to. Is this possible? Should I hang heavy plastic or some sort of insulation on the siding before I attach the greenhouse to protect the siding? Or am I worried about nothing? Thanx in advance, you guys are great!

-Tony

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Tony
What is your side material?
My sunroom is attached to my house,vinyl siding,and I keep fans blowing 24/7 on my plants no problem,also I have plastic greenhouse attached to backside of the house same there,air movement has kept it mold free.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Depending on the type of siding you have (e.g., masonite?) I would think putting plastic between the lean-to and siding would create a mold mecca, as there wouldn't be air circulation to dry any moisture that builds up between the two.

Molalla, OR

I have T-one-eleven siding. It's wood composite i believe. It holds up really well to the Pacific NW rain but i wasn't sure about constant humidity from a GH.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here again,air circulation,will help keep the humidity level 50% 0r below ,which help the control mold from forming,along with fresh air,

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I agree w/Tropicman -- keep the air flowing and you should be okay. I don't think I'd put a sheet of plastic between it and your siding though, unless you can stop water from getting between the two or circulate the air between them as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.