Here's a unusaul one!

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I bought this at a Home Depot seed rack, Burpee.( I know that I should not be buying but trading but the oppertunity was too good to pass up!) It get to about 6' high, small leaves and flowers. It was the gem of my gardens this year. I thought everbody would like to see it and somebody might have an ID.

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Looks like a "heavenly blue" Daniel

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

DASIYS - Could you also post a photo of the leaves?

Daniel - I have never grown Heavenly Blue, but from what I have heard, it produces some larger leaves and nice sized blooms.

DASIYS mentioned that the vine had small leaves and blooms, my guess is that it might be an I. hederacea:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53528/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/138565/

It is most certainly NOT 'Heavenly Blue', Period The flowers are w a y too small, leaves are flushed with red, and whole plant is fuzzy.

Becky, Your guess on I. hederaca is a good one, but the flowers are t i n y! 1/2" usually, sometimes as much as 1".

Thumbnail by DMgardener

'Heavenly Blue' is probablely not what it is. I grow that one as well and the Heavenly blue is completely different. On this one, flowers are w a y small, leaves are flushed with red, and whole plant is fuzzy.

Becky, Your guess on I. hederaca is a good one, but the flowers are t i n y! 1/2" usually, sometimes as much as 1".

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Daisys, that looks like ipomoea pubescens to me.. do the leaves look like this?

Thumbnail by ceej1963

and the sepals like this? if it does have a look to see if there is a little tuber at the base...

Thumbnail by ceej1963

the tuber (caudex) should look like this if it is!

it might be... here's a link: http://www.bihrmann.com/Caudiciforms/subs/ipo-pub-sub.asp

Colin

Thumbnail by ceej1963

Will check the PF, and dig up plant...

The pf does not exsist! Will use the link.

~Daniel

The link looks a lot like it. Will go out and dig up dead plant, be back Sunday afternoon.

I think Colin had come up with the correct ID! Especially looking at the leaves! :-)

it still could be I hederacea like you said Becky.. it looks like it, but those leaves had me thinking... but, maybe some hederacea have leaves like those? :-)

Hederaca looks like a giant form of this plant, so I have a varient of it?

DASIYS - I have grown both types of I. hederacea and the blooms were very small flowers. About 1 1/2 - 2" and it also had smaller leaves. If your plant is smaller than I. hederacea, I am puzzled as to what it might be.

What is the growing habits? Long vine, short vine, prolific bloomer, few blooms, lots of seeds or very few seed pods? Do you have a photo of the entire plant that you could share with us?

This message was edited Oct 31, 2009 3:10 PM

Here is a photo of my I. hederacea that I grew last year. As you can see, it is a smaller sized vine. (At least it was for me.) It also produced a ton of seeds and was one of the few volunteers I had show up this year, so I would imagine that it can come back year after year!

I do think the vine you have there is what Colin suggested it might be! It sure looks like his photos and the link he posted. :-) Nice find if it is!!!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2009 3:19 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Ok... I dug up the dead plant and did not find a tuber. Then the consensus is a dwarf I. hederaca?

No tuber, then it is most likely I hederacea. I am sure you will see more in the Spring/Summer as they do have a tendency to produce lots of seeds! :-)

still a very lovely flower, and nice find Daniel... i like it and the leaves, which i think are unusual and interesting... if you have any seeds from it i'd love to trade :-)

Here is a pic of the leaf, not as red as some.

Thumbnail by DMgardener

DASIYS - I think the leaves on yours are quite unusual and pretty! The shape doesn't look like either I. hederacea that I grew, but the blooms do resemble my blooms. Certainly a nice cultivar!

very pretty leaves Daniel... they look similar to some Ipomoea hederifolia leaves i've seen in pictures... but i do think Becky's right about it being an unusual leaved form of Ipomoea hederacea... but regardless of what it is.... it's a very nice find :-)

Since I collected 200 seeds, is anybody interested in these?

Daniel - I'll trade you for a few seeds! (Dmail me if you are interested in a trade.)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Daniel I am interested in your seeds also. Please let me know whether to send an sase or something from my have list.
Debra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.